Q about battery

Donnie Brasco

Following the nighmare I have had with my bike last week I want to clarify whether it's the battery at fault or a faulty charging system or a mechanic not telling me the truth after selling me that battery.

http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37619

Cut the story short,bike died on me last week,took it to a mechanic and he initially said it was a knackered battery.After selling me a new one,a week later it died on me again so I took it back to him and he said reg/rec was faulty so I bought another one,plugged it in,mechanic confirmed the battery he sold me was recharged and a drop test was performed.

So I got home and pressed ignition an nothing happened....I've put it through slow charging phase and after days I didn't get a fully charge light! I'm showing 10.5V with the engine off and a substantial drop to 3.5V once the ignition is pressed.(bearing in mind the reg/rec was replaced)

I've been running around and spent a few quid so far without any joy and I have a sneaky suspecion that new battery is now buggered and won't charge up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

if the reg/rec was faulty then it has probably

fried the new battery.

you need to measure the voltage with the engine off (12V)

and the engine on(up to about15v but no more)

if he changed the battery without checking the reg/rec

then he should give you another battery free of charge!

buy a voltmeter! I bought 1 today from wickes for £22!

if the reg/rec was faulty then it has probably

fried the new battery.

you need to measure the voltage with the engine off (12V)

and the engine on(up to about15v but no more)

if he changed the battery without checking the reg/rec

then he should give you another battery free of charge!

buy a voltmeter! I bought 1 today from wickes for £22!

Hi Ian,I've got a multimeter(fiver off the bay),battery puts out 10.55V when engine off,like I said when ignition is pressed it reads 3.5V(you just hear a buzzing noise off the starter relay).After bump starting the bike and revving it voltage hardly moves up.

Spoke to the mechanic and he said he can only send the battery back to his supplier and they have to check it before giving me a refund.Besides to get himself off the hook he can say he checked the reg/rec at the time and it was all well,it must have gone tits up ater fitting the new battery and I can't prove otherwise can I?

when you get your new battery

start engine and check voltage across battery

then increase revs in stages whilst looking at

voltage

if it goes below about 12.5 or above about 15

then there is still something wrong!

turn it off and don't run it again or you'll need

another new battery.

Ian,it appears the crap days are now over thank God! :angel12: After changing the reg/rec and the battery(which was toast) I'm showing:

Engine off: 12.5V

Engine idle: 14.01V

Engine revved: 13.98V ish

Told these to a mechanic and he said it's charging and all good,what do you think?

Reg/rec normally runs hot, if too hot, wires going in can char. Check em once a week. Fit a voltmeter or do regular battery checks. Make sure metal part of rr is touching subframe and well earthed.