Cleaning Carbs

polecat

I have managed to get the Carbs off my bike and would like to know in order to clean all the muck from them can I put then in a bowl of soapy water (washing up liqued) and wash them with a tooth brush or do they have to be cleaned in petrol or something >?

Thanks for any awnsers :)

I use brake cleaner with a plastic tube on. Be careful with diaphragm at top of carb, if it has one. Blow through all fuel and airways with aerosol cleaner, clean float valve seat with a cotton bud. Lay everthing out on a clean flat surface. Clean yellow crud out of float bowls with a toothbrush or stiff paintbrush. Loosen all screws and don't overtighten on rebuild. Good luck, alan. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

I use brake cleaner with a plastic tube on. Be careful with diaphragm at top of carb, if it has one. Blow through all fuel and airways with aerosol cleaner, clean float valve seat with a cotton bud. Lay everthing out on a clean flat surface. Clean yellow crud out of float bowls with a toothbrush or stiff paintbrush. Loosen all screws and don't overtighten on rebuild. Good luck, alan. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

I apreciate your input but I was wondering if I can put it in soapy water to clean the exterior then clean it with something like brake cleaner after i have got most of the muck off it ? or will the soapy water damage something ?

PS I dont have brake cleaner but I have ACF50 or white spirit or petrol ?

Soapy water shouldn't do any harm, neither will petrol, just avoid sparks!!! You should buy an aerosol can of brake cleaner , about £3.00 to blow any crap out of the jets, fuel and airways :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Soapy water shouldn't do any harm, neither will petrol, just avoid sparks!!! You should buy an aerosol can of brake cleaner , about £3.00 to blow any crap out of the jets, fuel and airways :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers m8 thats what i wanted to hear :)

I don't fancy filling a bowl with petrol to clean it cos I will get bored and light a fag :lol:

Ill get some brake cleaner when I strip it down cheers :cheers:

when i used to clean the carbs i used to strip them of jets and diaphrams etc and boil the metal bits in a pan of water... only the metal bits mind including the jets... my mam was not happy with a carb bubbling away on her cooker mind but used to work a treat

You could strip them down and put all the parts from each carb (assuming its a bank of more than one) and take them to a bike shop to be ultrsonically cleaned. Gets all the crud off really easily.

Failing that carb/injector cleaner and be carefull!