Leather jeans rubb off paint of the tank ?

alol74

Hi everyone,

Can anyone suggest what can be done to stop leather jeans (made by Gear) slowly but surely rubbing off paint of the side of my bike's tank ? (Bandit 600) ? The inner side of jeans on knee level gets painted after each ride :( and it seems that the tank is loosing its lacquer and paint... not quickly but surely :(

Any ideas ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno if you got the answer you were looking for? I've got the beginnings of this problem on my Speed Four so I bought a kit of paint protector film from a company called PaintGard. Fairly expensive although it does have bits for the fairing, belly pan and headlamp protectors too but the blurb sounded just what I wanted.

You can also get "Chicken Wings" from Motrax that stick on the side of the tank which are like self adhesive silicon pads.

Hope this late replay helps.

Bob

Typical suzuki paint. You can get clear tank protectors to stick on the affected area or respray the tank with a proper laquer. 8 or 9 coats should do it 8-)

I agree, old 05 plate Suzuki was the same, crap paint, my 2 Honda's no problem at all.

I've not fitted my Paintgard stuff yet. Got a week off....so that was one of the jobs planned. Steve from Paintgard was very helpfull and offered a lot of advice on how to fit it. Said I could phone him if I ran into any probs. So I'll be interested on how you get on with it. Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Bob

• 5 weeks later...
I've not fitted my Paintgard stuff yet. Got a week off....so that was one of the jobs planned. Steve from Paintgard was very helpfull and offered a lot of advice on how to fit it. Said I could phone him if I ran into any probs. So I'll be interested on how you get on with it. Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Bob

Sorted it out. Really impressed with this stuff. had a bit of a problem with air bubbles but has managed to get them all out. Keep your hands moist !

Excellent.

I got mine fitted as well. As you say, you've got to keep your hands wet too and put a little bit of detergent in warm water and spray it onto the film and the area you're putting it onto.

Yeah.....I'm well pleased with how it came out on mine too.....good stuff that.

Cheers,

Bob

Only trouble with the stompgrip kind of solution is wear on your leathers. I've got techspec snakeskins on my 675 and they are anihilating my leathers! Both my RST trousers and my Spidi 1 piece. Suede knee patches are on the backlog of stuff to get sorted.