Bandit or hornet

Guest shatters

Hi guys and girls

Returning to bikes after a 30 year break, don't know if its a midlife crisis or what but i have a strong urge....Looking at a Bandit or a hornet as a first middle weight, any advise...looking at a 96-97 £1500 to spend. Value your thoughts.....

PS this is my first post.

PPS Last bike Honda CB900F on '80' Plate

Thanks

Steve

I would go with a Hornet, but probs cos I had one not long ago. For £1500 you could get a nice 99 or even maybe 00/01 Hornet. Though obviously this time of year more popular so prices be at their highest.

Bandit, every time :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That'd be my personal opinion too, after sitting on both and now owning a bandit, however I have to say the underseat exhausts of the hornet look lush... (Not that you can't buy & modify a bandit in the same way for the same amount of money or less.) There are more spare parts and modifications for the bandits, so it's easier to make one your own, and you can almost fit anything from any other bike to it. On average (and I'll admit prices dip and rise a fair bit) the bandit is about 400 to 600 pound cheaper than a hornet of the same age and condition.

I bought a 1999 mk1 b6 for £750 and all it really needed was new rubber. It was/is in great condition with absolutely no rust, with just 13k miles on the clocks and came with a whole bunch of accessories. 8-)

It's your choice at the end of the day, as both are rather hard to split apart.

Good luck with it all,

Bullet5. :)

Bandit, every time :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

spare parts and modifications for the bandits, so it's easier to make one your own, and you can almost fit anything from any other bike to it. On average (and I'll admit prices dip and rise a fair bit) the bandit is about 400 to 600 pound cheaper than a hornet of the same age and condition.

I bought a 1999 mk1 b6 for £750 and all it really needed was new rubber. It was/is in great condition with absolutely no rust, with just 13k miles on the clocks and came with a whole bunch of accessories. 8-)

Wouldnt be too sure, the Hornet was a streetfighter bike that really stirred it up a bit and being a Honda its as good at 33k miles as it is at 13k miles with half decent looking after!

And the range of parts for the Hornet look after a quick glance on google as ample as they are for the bandit!

I think they are both the same but there are big differences in the actual bike.

The bandit is a budget bike, you get what you pay for but you can mod the hell out of it. I personally hate their soft suspension and would take the hornet any day for its better engine, suspension and brakes. But im a bloke who loves the quality of the ride and not how i look as i ride!

Thanks for all your imputs guys, swinging towards the Bandit...looking for the best bike for the money..more Bandits about, belive engine bullet proof, seem to be more Bandits around tested both bikes, though Bandit suspension seems a bit spongy may have been the test bike though... :mrgreen:

Thanks

Going down the 600 route though the 1200 is only 40 quid a year more to insure!!! (Suzuki). might be a bit of a handfull.......

steve

Don't get scared by the numbers. 1200 bandit early models were a bit savage but mellowed as the model progressed. The 600 needs reving to get performance out of it where as the 1200 has more torque from lower revs. 20 bhp difference will be noticable but the extra 30ft/lbs of torque , from 39 to 69, will take the strain out of riding for only a 6 kg weight gain. 5 speed box on the 12, 6 speed on the 600.

If you buy at the right price and age you'll have enough left to upgrade the suspension.

Your choice then is faired or naked. I like naked, but it is noisey , tiring and you get all the weather when it catches you.

And now ,just a word to the wise. Bare in mind that although the CB900 was the bees knees in it's day the bandit 600 will out perform it in all departments. In my opinion a 30 year break means you can't ride any more. Don't go at it like you just need to brush up. You need to learn from the beginning again. Statistically you are in a very at risk demographic. Not said to be critical but we see alot of born again casualties.

Good hunting 8-)

I asked myself the same question nine years ago so tried out the sv650, hornet, fazer and bandit and found the bandit to be more comfortable, cheaper insurance and suited my fat belly ( all other tank shapes got in the way of my gut) I still have the same bike I bought way back then and still love it to bits. In it's just sailed through the MOT with nothing needed cept a set of treads. :cheers:

I don't look at bikes in the way of speed and power as at the end of the day they all do at least 80.

• 3 months later...