Advice needed on Stuck bolt engine mounting-Solved !!

polecat

This is the lowest of the engine mounting bolts on the lower crankcase (aluminium)

The bolt is steel and should just slide in and out (not threaded into crankcase)

The nut and head had snapped off removing the mounting bracket so just the shaft left inside but would not punch through.

I drilled out the end of the bolt each side but still will not push through and it seems to be fixed solid despite much bashing but I am afraid of cracking the crankcase.

If I don't get this out I can not mount the engine as it would fail MOT later on so any suggestions before I hit it with larry lump hammer !!! :evil:

IMG_0634.JPG.0b9c2afe34f81b15a498d99fd511396c.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG.447a8d4fceb6aa358af1f514821e30d0.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG.ca9c05f30441a436f2b0c37897c087ee.JPG

Edited by polecat

It was all going too easy :lol:

Try some graphite based penetrating oil. Paraffin may loosen the rot. The ally has reacted with the steel to form a sort of bond. A little heat may help. Lots of little taps from both ends. Patience. Might have to drill it out. Last resort , spark errosion 8-)

penetrating oil and lots of heat will see it free :D

oh and patience too dont get too carried away with a hammer

personally though if its not threaded i would just drill it out start small work up and it will soon be out :)

penetrating oil and lots of heat will see it free :D

oh and patience too dont get too carried away with a hammer

personally though if its not threaded i would just drill it out start small work up and it will soon be out :)

not threaded means it can be drilled without to much worry, i had same problem, still beats me why they do steal bolts and ally metal cos it always glues together. use a heat torch and take your time.

good luck

http://www.ehow.com/how_5640195_remove- ... block.html

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archiv ... 40740.html

Found this too

Removing frozen bolts from aluminum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only works if part is off the motor, but I remove frozen studs, bolts and stuff like that from aluminum by throwing it in my nitric tank.

Eats the steel in a few hours and doesn't attack the aluminum.

So if you got an old aluminum part with a stuck bolt find your local plater, he'll get it out.

Thanks for the suggestions :thumb:

Seems my choises are 1) heat the crankcase or 2) Freeze the bolt or 3)buy a big drill bit and drill all the way through bolt

I spent the best part of the day on this and got Nothing out of it.

Well I have no way of freezing or heating So perhaps my best bet is buying a huge drill bit and spending some time drilling it out.....What a Pain in the ass this has turned out to be, I admit my worst fear is breaking the crankcase as I know these can be weak so another option I considered was putting two little short bolts in the holes i drilled in each side to fool the MOT tester but Its not my style :roll:

Problem solved :3some:

Reading this thread I thought I will go out and give it another go so put a simalar bolt near the holes and bashed it each side then as I was bashing it on the left I felt something give :shock:

Thought either the casing has cracked or the little burger has moved so tap tap tap, felt the other side and the thing was sticking out !!! YAY so Bashed it all the way out .....See Photo !

only down side is I messed up the hole a bit on the left where I drilled off center,oh well better out than in :)

Thanks guys ......

1704336710_Offendingbolt.JPG.cd915a1b5ca06e2837fe04d8c30fd687.JPG

Drill and tap and use two oversize short bolts? It is an engine mount so make it strong.

A blow torch wafted across the ally is all that's needed to warm it up.

Put it in the freezer overnight ,then leave it in the sun?

Pop it in the oven on a low setting and try the candle thing.

Trying to find something that eats aluminium oxide but not aluminium. 8-)

Edit: Got it. weak sulphuric acid will eat ally oxide. So weak battery acid should help free it up. 8-)

2nd Edit: Look up dopey :lol: Well done

it would be no good freezing that as freezing contracts metal the ally will contract before the steel which will grip it more :wink:

heat will expand the metal and again ally will heat up quicker expanding and making the hole bigger :D

ideally you heat the outer and freeze the inner it works great when putting bearings in :wink: