sat navs

Guest almooro

anybody know what the best sat nav is, and is there one the market that you can hear with the helmet on, using bluetooth I suppose not a techy Im afraid

just been told as I have a caberg helmet i need the just speak bluetooth kit and any sat nav with bluetooth will work

anyone know if this is correct :stupid:

I have just got a TOM TOM refurbished 710 from TOMTOM (cheap-ish) and a Nokia BH-103 bluetooth headset and it works a treat.

With the tom tom the headphones have to be A2DP compatible but I know this setup works.

I set the course (to the sun) switch the screen off, and put it in my bum bag and a nice lady gives instructions. The earpieces act as earplugs as well (quite quiet) and i can hear the instructions at any speed. I havn't tried the phone in blutooth through the headset as the microphone bit is difficult to get positioned. But I don't want to take phone calls anyway when i'm riding.

phone with google navigation on it (can be put on any android and probably apple/windows phones), get a pair of headphones, phone in pocket, job done.

Ok, you cant see the screen if its in your pocket, but its much cheaper than buying a sat nav, another thing to find a place for when both on and off the bike, or it will get stolen. no need for a sat nav holder which will look ugly with no sat nav on it. Although saying that if you want to see the screen of your phone you will have to buy a waterproof mount for it :)

IMO a free app for your phone is much better than buying a sat nav, it works well too - just something to think about

You asked what the best is...

I'd say the best on the market is a Garmin Zumo 660, then rather than using the caberg bluetooth system use a Sena SMH-10.

Although having said that, the Caberg lid is so noisy that you may as well use the Caberg's own bluetooth headset. Just make sure you're wearing decent ear plugs designed to filter Motorbike levels of noise (Alpine Moto-safe are quite excellent for the money)

My 660 gets used daily for my 120 mile commute. I don't need the directions to work, but it's great to use as a music player, and for re-routing if there's really bad traffic or an accident.

I think from the research I've done that the Zumo 660 is the best out there. It all depends on what you want out of a sat nav really.

As others have suggested, if I was to only use a sat nav in the UK then probably google navigation on an Android phone would be best. You wouldn't be able to see it but the instructions when I used it were crystal clear and got me to my location without any problems.

If however you're going to Europe, then a Tom Tom would be fine as long as you're sticking to the major countries in Western Europe.

I'll be travelling round a lot of Europe later this summer and found that the Zumo series were the only ones that would offer pretty much the whole of Europe as standard including Eastern Europe.