sticking front caliper

The Drain

Hi All,

Just got my GPZ500S (1996 N) back together. A few months ago it was knocked off the stand by some nameless person, it has stood in my garden ever since as I have not had the time, money or will to repair it. Until now. I have replaced the fairing bracket assembly, the front fairing (Skidmarx replacement) and both indicators. All screwed together this morning with a small degree of swearing and some minor unbending of bracketry. I have started it up and after a few goes it settled down nicely, all electrics worked ok and battery freshly charged.

However, as I moved it around the garden so I could work on it easier I noticed that the front wheel is quite stiff to turn, and considerably more so than the rear one. The disk has a surface coat of rust where it has stood for some time, though the lever movement feels fine.

My thinking is this...take caliper off and give the brake disc a good once over with wire wool or emery paper to remove the rust. Then remove the pads and gently push the brake pistons back into the caliper (only by a millimetre or so) then put the whole thing back together and work the lever until the brake feels as if it works ok.

Good idea or not?

And will I need to bleed the brakes?

Thanks in advance, Andy :wink:

Take calipers off and see how wheel feels and turns. Then, if OK , give calipers a good clean with brake cleaner, remove pads , pump pistons out about 3mm and give them a good clean with a toothbrush. When all pistons clean all around, push em back in, refit pads and refit calipers. Where in SE London are ya???

I'd be tempted to give it a run. The pads will clean up the discs. If you still have problems then you can give it a service. Steady away tho 8-)

I agree. Why strip it all out if the only problem is that it's stood still for a few weeks?

Go for teh easy fix first, take it out and use the brake, the disc will soon shine again :lol: