99' ER-5 parts/repairs

Dxr

I didnt really know what to call this thread so im sorry its quite general. I did think of a thread for each part but that seemed ott and i can use this thread for a single ref and updates :D

So I recently bought the above mentioned ER5 in green, 11mnths mot no service history with it and just over 34k. It was fairly cheap and came with some minor cosmetic damage. Before I go into that my decision is whether to bother with tidying it up or do I just do what I need to and get the use out of it as it is? Im undecided, so here's what I know...

Mechanically all seems good, recent fork seals and tyres, chain/sprocket good, Motad exhaust looks fairly new. Everything works as it should with the exception of the start button isnt 100%, sometimes takes a few presses to turn over. The times it doesnt turn over you can hear short fast clicking, possibly the starter? no idea on that tbh but it isnt a major issue I dont think. Gearbox is clunky but not out of character and it runs as smoothly as the other er5's ive ridden (i.e. not very). Rear brake needs adjusting so there isnt so much travel before getting some braking effect.

Cosmetically it was damaged at the front throttle side by falling over and hitiing a brick pillar! luckily it stayed upright but did break the front brake lever (replaced already but is a diff colour from clutch lever), slightly bent the headlight bracket (really not much and a rubber hammer will sort it), small dent in the tank but there were already a couple of light dings (paintwork not broken). Worst bit is the speedo/rev counter housing. It took the worst of it and the black plastic near the fuel gauge is cracked meaning the whole unit moves, the fake chrome is badly dented and the plastic that holds the dials in on the rev side is broken although the actual dials are good and work fine. Back light is temperamental. The L mirror is a loose cannon and the right is scraped, ideally need replacing.

By the looks of the coolant it needs a flush and new coolant. The indicator units are very dated and would be tempted to replace with small LED type. And a fly screen would look nice, lol. Prob fit a ciggie socket from the battery to live under the seat too.

I shall be buying a haynes manual vsoon and have already downloaded the service manual PDF. Im probably painting a bad picture it isnt all that bad and I could easily run it as is. Im not that mechanically educated but its a reason i wanted to keep going onto my full license so i could do/learn at least basic servicing as i go. I'll be inspecting the air filter next and prob look at an oil/filter change too. Not sure if the plugs are a pita to get to for a visual inspection.

So in summary, any info/experiences/reference links or idea's on what I could/should do appreciated :D

Main points are (In no order of priority):

Replacement mirrors. Where's a good cheap source for a pair that wont float around?

Views on LED indicators, again any suggestions on where from/models?

Advice on how to adjust the brake?

Advice on the coolant change/flush, which coolant?

Access/removal of plugs?

How much can I expect to pay for a used speedo unit? Any sources?

Just a thought as I type but what bulb/s in the headlight as I hope they can be uprated, or maybe even a replacement (more modern headlight?).

Finally where can I source some touch up paint to match the kawasaki green? Theres a minor scrape on the rear grab handle that would look better touched up :)

I'll try and add pics of the damage ive mentioned etc and shall update with my progress or any problems i find as I get to know the bike although im usually at work it will have to wait til i get time to play :)

Replacement mirrors. Where's a good cheap source for a pair that wont float around? - Ebay

Views on LED indicators, again any suggestions on where from/models? - Check around online, just wack into google shopping search "motorbike LED indicators" but be warned you need a resistor or flashing unit from halfords to make them flash at the right speed

Advice on how to adjust the brake? - HH sintered pad, caliper rebuild, line replacement and bleed. That will get it sorted

Advice on the coolant change/flush, which coolant? - Screw is located on the lower side of one of the engine casings. Refer to the Haynes manual. Empty it through here, and then pour water in at the top into a bucket until it runs out clear. Then refill with coolant

Access/removal of plugs? - Good old 16/21mm socket, remember when you replace them to properly tighten them up. Preferably iridium ones as they are better for cold starts and better throttle response on a bike like yours.

How much can I expect to pay for a used speedo unit? Any sources? - Ebay

Just a thought as I type but what bulb/s in the headlight as I hope they can be uprated, or maybe even a replacement (more modern headlight?). - Google search and ebay search "Motorbike aftermarket headlight" and have a good look around.

Finally where can I source some touch up paint to match the kawasaki green? Theres a minor scrape on the rear grab handle that would look better touched up :) - Take your bike to halfords and have them knock up a can of paint in that colour

I'll try and add pics of the damage ive mentioned etc and shall update with my progress or any problems i find as I get to know the bike although im usually at work it will have to wait til i get time to play :)

Also that clicking sound may mean your starter is packing in or battery is. Get both replaced!

wow, coool!

I'll get surfing the net tonight at work, lol. Thanks for the answers and the pic, thats well mean looking :D

• 3 weeks later...

Did some online shopping on Fri, managed to buy an oil filter, air filter and 2 spark plugs as well as a haynes manual for the total cost of £33.24 :D So on prob Wed I'll be changing the plugs, filters and oil, coolant flush/replace too. Im sure she'll appreciate my effort, maybe not my handy work though :idea:

Just need to source some cheap 10/40 oil for it.

ETA: I bought mirrors last week too, much better :)

For touch up, have a look in the nail polish section in the chemists for a match. I always have a pot of black. 8-)

But what about the bike!! :P

Thanks I'll check it out its just a small mark or 2 on the rear grab handle, I did spy a touch up pens last week thats damn near spot on. I think it was for a Mini :oops:

Well the plugs came today and I got stuck in, firstly changed the oil/filter and flushed. Changed the spark plugs. Flushed and refilled the coolant. Also fitted a new air filter yesterday and that made a huge difference!

Ive added a few pics so you can see how badly this needed doing, lol. Im not convinced the oil will be ok as its cheapo 10/40 which may cause some clutch slippage but I'll find out when the rain stops. It was all very easy to do and not as messy as I expected. lol. The oil was as black as tar and the coolant a lovely rust brown :lol:

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/m6aok/Biking/42e68d21-643c-4959-9b58-6020f5b8b639.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/m6aok/Biking/59bf6053-5771-493e-a10d-b0ae9a193d79.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/m6aok/Biking/f29a3f8a-4475-4ada-bba5-3a2ac0d90eb1.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/m6aok/Biking/7b844577-e489-46ad-9459-06e8a2289766.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/m6aok/Biking/7fb86275-0b0f-452d-95ea-d37a8851749a.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/m6aok/Biking/df53c58a-0215-4483-b534-24e60ccd8c23.jpg

Yep....looks like that bike was well overdue a service. You'll reap the benefits for sure. As for oil...I'd go with semi-synthetic on a bike that age. If you intend to keep the bike I'd be inclined to use a better oil than the real cheapo stuff.

Good work so far though... :thumb:

Cheers, Its cheapo semi synthetic. lol. Well Ive just done a couple of hours in the dry and its much better :P

Its still a 12yr old ER5 but its running happier and is actually a bit quicker more so at higher speeds gets there easier and cruises much more comfortably. No clutch issues at any rev range or gear so far so good :)

You need to sort that starter problem. Clean switch contacts and Wd40 em. Check battery voltage, before and after starting. Charge battery with a trickle not car charger. Use a good semi synth oil. About 30 quid a gallon. Don,t ever scrimp on oil, it,s the most important moving part of your engine.!! Replacement headlights looks ok , but check lamps, don,t buy 35watt lamps , buy one with 50/55watt lamps in. Mine is off a Gilera runner. Also check exhaust collector box, manifold for rust. I can fix it for you using stainless.

Well the plugs came today and I got stuck in, firstly changed the oil/filter and flushed. Changed the spark plugs. Flushed and refilled the coolant. Also fitted a new air filter yesterday and that made a huge difference!

Ive added a few pics so you can see how badly this needed doing, lol. Im not convinced the oil will be ok as its cheapo 10/40 which may cause some clutch slippage but I'll find out when the rain stops. It was all very easy to do and not as messy as I expected. lol. The oil was as black as tar and the coolant a lovely rust brown :lol:

youv not put car oil in have you ?

youv not put car oil in have you ?
No, just the cheapest suitable semi synth 10/40 I could find though. I did think it would only be run for a bit with this in and then change for better oil soon kind of an extra flush if you like :)

I think I might make do with the cosmetic damage on the clock rear as the cost of a replacement set is silly :shock: Headlight bracket needs a tweak but otherwise its ok now as well. The starter issue was a bad connection and all good now, just needed further inspection :) Battery is tip top too now.

I'll check the collector box and manifold soon too, ty :wink: