cleaning gear tips ?

hi there was just curious looking for tips on how best to clean the my gear helmet, gloves etc.

Had my gear for about a year but the inside of the helmet is starting to need a freshen up, but im not sure the best way to clean it without damaging it.

thanks in advance any advice really appreciated

Hi mate, could do with knowing a bit more about the kit, type, make etc but here are some general guides.

Helmet - if the lining is removable take it out and wash in the washing machine with non bio or a nice soft soap.

If the lining is not removable then put some old towels in the bath to protect the helmet and use the shower and baby shampo to wash out the inside of the lid make sure you rinse it well out.

For both of these then let to dry naturally, if you wash the lid you will need to let it dry upside down (a rolled up towel made into a donut shape will help to put the lid on).

Leathers - get a good quality leather cleaner (nik-wax do one) to clean off the muck, then use a good quality leather food to keep it nice and supple.

Textiles - remove armour and wash as per the instructions in the garment, I use Nik Wax tech wash, and then use TX-10 I think its called to reproof them. Do not use normal detergent on textiles if they have any form of waterproof and breathable lining it will ruin them.

Hope that helps

yeah thanks akey, appreciate those useful tips, as far as gear details, my helmet is standard ls2 lagarto II i don`t think it`s removable, gloves are spada quite heavy style gloves, akito leather trousers, wulfsport armoured jacket, and boots are frank thomas zip up with fold over velcro

Edited by jamesd1981

Helmet in the shower then mate :cheers:

Leather is nice and easy, get some of the Nik Wash spray wash and follow the instruction followed by any good leather food / cream.

If the gloves are textile and dont have washing instructions then wash them on a 30 deg cycle with tech wash and leave to dry naturally.

I hand washed the lining of my helemt, it suggested i could put it in the washing machine, but with the thin plastic edges it did not seem a good idea. As for other kit, Nikwax http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/index.php which I have used for years on loads of stuff with no problems.

As for cleaning my tip, I use a tissue.