Guess what? - CB500 won't start again!

Ingah

If anyone knows of anyone selling a CB500 in South Wales, let me know, seriously.

So, the problem this time?

Having recently de-rusted the tank and consequently found that the bike wasn't starting reliably (it'd sometimes/sometimes not take a while of cranking it over to get it going), decided to strips the carbs to clear out the rust that was undoubtably left there from previously rusty tank - which i had thought was causing the difficulty starting. There was a little bit of rust in the bottom half of the carbs (the "float bowls" IIRC), so cleared it all, blew compressed air through the jets, and then put them back together and back on the bike.

And then went to use it this morning, and found it exactly the same as before (turn, turn, turn, turn, no fire) - except possibly worse as i ran out of battery before i could get it going (had to get the missus to give me a lift into work - again!)

As i've added an in-line fuel filter i can confirm it's not rust at least!

Don't have my Haynes manual at work so i was hoping i could have some ideas for when i get home, as i'm at work again tomorrow (timing!)

Already planning to check the spark plug out, as they're over 2 years old now, and so it's time to change them anyway.

Absolutely end of my tether with this machine though - my example must be one of the most useless commuter bikes ever made.

Yeah....pull the plugs and check if they're wet and what colour...

Not firing at all sounds like spark/cdi unit. You would expect that on a twin carb bike it would fire on 1 cylinder as both carbs can't be clogged surely. Just check that you are getting fuel to the carbs. Did the float bowls have fuel in when you removed them?

Bob

Yeah....pull the plugs and check if they're wet and what colour...

Not firing at all sounds like spark/cdi unit. You would expect that on a twin carb bike it would fire on 1 cylinder as both carbs can't be clogged surely. Just check that you are getting fuel to the carbs. Did the float bowls have fuel in when you removed them?

Bob

Was getting fuel starvation behaviour. Float bowls were full of fuel, yes.

When a decent CB500 comes along, i suspect i'll turn this one into a donor bike - that's all its ever good for.

have you changed the plugs and also checked valve clearances ?

Neither. Both are very slightly overdue. Will leave the clearances until after my exams if i can though - doubt they could have gone too far out in just over 2 years, especially considering the amount of riding i haven't been doing due to the bike being bust!

Suspect it could be the fuel tap and as i've been wanting to fix it for a while anyway... (as it's got so stiff it requires tools to turn it, if it wants to move at all!) Would just replace it, but as a new one is £190 (!) from Honda, it's not precisely cheap, even for a 2nd hand one that may or may not fit the bike, on eBay.

Have tried to take my fuel tap apart, and whilst the back part, diaphragm etc came off no problem (screws), i can't work out a way of disassembling the front (tap) bit as there's no visible screws for it?

Is the front (tap) part non-user serviceable, or am i missing a trick?

This may help: http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/hpl/i ... __1300.jpg

they are often a rubber seal with holes in them to locate over pipes inside the tap and the lever on the front just turns to open or close holes from tank feed to carbs.cant hurt to take the back off the tap and check it out in there and while its off get plenty of wd40 or similar around the front of the tap

they are often a rubber seal with holes in them to locate over pipes inside the tap and the lever on the front just turns to open or close holes from tank feed to carbs.cant hurt to take the back off the tap and check it out in there and while its off get plenty of wd40 or similar around the front of the tap

Nothing to see when you take off the back, was a tiny bit of crap i cleared out to no avail. Already squirted front of the tap plenty.

New tap time? :(

Isnt your bike a 1994 model?

I knew a bloke who had one and it started having quite a number of problems at 70,000 miles similar to yours so I dont think you are alone. Though he bought a second hand scrap on that was quite new and completely restored his.

Why dont you move up a bike? Get something like a Kawasaki ER6F like I have, 650cc inline twin. Cheap insurance and 0% finance if you go for a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

What do the plugs look like? Do the plugs give a blue spar if you short them against the frame and turn the engine over?

after turning over the engine with the plugs in, if it does not fire up, quickly pull the plugs and check to see if they are damp and covered in fuel?

What does the air filter look like? can you see fuel passing through the newly installed in line filter?

did the carbs actually get taken apart, all jets removed and all that jazz? im asuming you got the pilot settings back to normal (if they have them?)

no vaccume leaks?

Yeah, tis a CB500R (1993-1995). Ironically enough, the only version of the CB500 actually MADE in Japan.

Picked up another CB500 (2000 version) for £450, originally intending it to be for spares (see http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... =3&t=40509 ), but because i've finally run out of patience with the CB500R, i've decided to use IT as the donor instead (despite the newer one lacking mirrors, headlamp, pillion grab rail, fork oil, working fork seals...)

Thus far i've nabbed the complete forks from the older model and the mirrors. New one works fine, currently running it on a daytime MOT and it could do with a good service and a few bits and bobs.

Should we have a forum bet? :lol:

How long will the CB500 last before it breaks down.

Its good to hear you are running the newer one. The other one did seem a bit forever doomed didnt it :shock:

:lol:

Yeah, old CB was forever a non-running shed. Although new CB will be benefitting from it as i plan to fit much of the shiny newish parts to it. So i'd hope reliability is going to be high, especially when i've completed the first comprehensive service, and changed the chain (it's got a stiff-link that i haven't been able to completely unstiffen by working WD40 into it*). That said, based on past experiences, i'm wanting to buy another spare bike for when the inevitable happens :(

* = yes i know you perhaps should not use WD40 on a chain, but this link needed sorting quickly, and i don't plan to continue to use this chain for long.