Anyone cleaned their brakes?

My brakes were a state when I got my tyres changed, anyone ever cleaned theirs?

Guy (Nick) who changed my tyres said to get brake cleaner, spray over the pistons and push them back in, then keep repeating until clean, thinking i'll get some brake cleaner and use a toothbrush to give the pistons a clean.

Brakes are good, just seem to have lost their initial bite.

my fronts brakes are very poor, standard fitment on my bike are 6 pot tokyos, there are known to seize pistons, have to pick up some red rubber grease tonight and then im going to rebuilt the front calipers, also bought a seal kit for the master cylinder so will be doing that at the same time

Always good to give them a good clean now and again. I have some aerosol stuff that may help - you spray it on the pads and disc, and it evaporates off, after (hopefully) washing the grime away. If you want to do the pistons/calipers and all that, you'd best have a manual handy with installation instructions etc (I guess most set ups are similar, but you do need torque settings).

they're pretty important, so do it right!

Edited by Anonymous

Brake discs shouldn't need cleaning as long as they are used. If the bike is stored for a while you can clean them with brake cleaner.

Brake pistons do need cleaning. If you buy new pads , the pistons will need to be pushed into their cylinders. DO NOT do this unless you have cleaned them first or you could damage the seals. Remove old pads, pump pistons OUT a few mm, I use a drop of 3 in 1 or WD40, let it soak in and then rub with an old toothbrush until all crud is gone and then polish with non abrasive stainless polish to get a bright finish. wash with aerosol brake cleaner and push the pistons all the way in , watching the level in the reservoir as you do. Fit new pads, fit to bike and pump brake until pads are in contact with discs. Ensure pads back off when you release brake lever and if not you should strip the calipers, clean and rebuild with red rubber grease applied to the seals.