Shoulder checks

I've got my mod 2 on Wednesday, I've not employed an instructor. I'm basically going off what I learned in the CBT together with common sense, and many years of driving/ riding. Thought it worth checking though; as regards what shoulder checks to do before setting off from the kerb/ traffic lights/ roundabout, or any other situation when you're stationary.

My understanding is this:

Right shoulder check only, if moving off from the kerb.

Left and right shoulder checks in all other setting off situation.

Have I got that right?

Also, are shoulder checks necessary before accelerating from dead slow (say 5 mph in traffic). I guess a cyclist could be tearing through a gap...

Thanks

I'm no expert but, if in doubt, shoulder check. I always look right when pulling away, changing lanes, even when moving left to right in the same lane and when turing right into a side road. I look left when moving right to left in the same lane and changing lanes, and when i'm about to turn left into a side road, and when turning off a roundabout.

You may need more than one though..

I was behind a car that had stopped near the entrance to work, waiting for someone to open the barriers and a large 4x4 pulled up behind me, completely taking all the view in my mirrors. When the barriers had been opened I realised that no-one was in the car infront so I looked right and pulled out, only to have a car come up behind me that had come from behind the 4x4 and hadn't seen me! :shock: Luckily I hadn't gone out too wide so no damage done and he went past without a fuss. The guy in the 4x4 who also has a bike said that it was really close and if it was him he'd probably have been hit as he would have gone out wider. :?

Two things i learnt..

1. Don't stop so close to the vehicle in front

2. If you can't see the road behind in the mirrors, do two lifesavers!!

Right shoulder check only, if moving off from the kerb.

Left and right shoulder checks in all other setting off situation.

Have I got that right?

Shoulder checks are easy to get right once you start thinking "Do I need to?" rather than "Should I?"

In any situation, is there a possible threat to your safety coming through your blind spot, and if so, where is that likely to be coming from.

So turning left, look left. Turning right, look right. Any time you change lanes, look into the lane you're moving into. Going away from lights, look both sides if the road is wide, or avoid having to do that by positioning so that you close off one side before you stop.

Roundabouts are tricky, until you start thinking about where the Corsa will try to nip through with it's deafening exhaust... look there!

Remember the shoulder checks other name, lifesaver! And if in doubt, you should probably look anyway!

Thanks for those replies, very useful.

I've been up to the test centre today (Failsworth, Manchester), to have a look around. It's horrible! Lots of mini roundabouts, humps etc.

2 questions arise:

1/ At a 'mini' roundabout, if going straight on, do you still need to indicate left after passing the road on the left?

2/ Road humps that don't cover the full width of the road. Would it be an error to avoid them? Assuming nothing is coming the other way of course, is it ok to go close to the middle of the road so you go through the 'flat' spot? Or otherwise, would it be seen as a fault to go close to the kerb, to avoid the hump to on the left of them?

Thanks again. Getting nervous now!

2/ Road humps that don't cover the full width of the road. Would it be an error to avoid them? Assuming nothing is coming the other way of course, is it ok to go close to the middle of the road so you go through the 'flat' spot? Or otherwise, would it be seen as a fault to go close to the kerb, to avoid the hump to on the left of them?

On my CBT the instructor took us down a few roads with these daft humps. His instruction was to avoid them where it was safe and to do the appropriate shoulder checks as we changed road positions round them i.e. left shoulder check if going round the inside of one followed by a right shoulder check as you move back into the centre of the lane and vice versa if going round the outside

I never indicated at mini roundabouts (blob of white paint) on my test, just slowed down a touch and proceeded if clear. There's not really enough time to indicate on them unless you're turning right on one.

Road humps - you won't get marked down for maintaining your line and just driving over them, which is probably the easiest option for a learner on a test. You could however go either side of them, especially if turning left or right just afterwards where you would need the bike over to the right or left accordingly. Same with passing parked cars etc. It also depends how close the left one is in relation to the kerb - if it's a tiny gap forget it! Remember to do a lifesaver before altering your road position if you choose to go either side.

Good luck!

1/ At a 'mini' roundabout, if going straight on, do you still need to indicate left after passing the road on the left?

2/ Road humps that don't cover the full width of the road. Would it be an error to avoid them? Assuming nothing is coming the other way of course, is it ok to go close to the middle of the road so you go through the 'flat' spot?

1. Indicate IF you have time, and IF it is safe to do so while negotiating the RBT. You shouldn't get marked down for not doing so as there's very little time to do so.

2. Avoid if safe to do so, and if it's possible to avoid without causing another road user to change speed or direction.

Great, thanks!

I have one final question:

While riding around the area I came across a significant roundabout. The sign suggested there was a turn off to the left, then another which was beyond 180 degrees, i.e. beyond straight on, a slight right turn if you like. I took up the right lane and indicated right. It turned out that the second road was in fact almost straight on. I could have stayed in the left lane, not indicated to turn right. If my tester takes me via this roundabout, do you think I should take up the right lane and indicate? the sign suggests that...

That is a nightmare situation. Just outside the test centre at Sheildhall in Glasgow there is a round-a-bout where the sign suggests a different lane layout than the arrows on the road do. My instructors were adament that the sign was wrong and the arrows are correct. So I would go by the arrows and road markings and not the sign.

Great, thanks!

While riding around the area I came across a significant roundabout. The sign suggested there was a turn off to the left, then another which was beyond 180 degrees, i.e. beyond straight on, a slight right turn if you like. I took up the right lane and indicated right. It turned out that the second road was in fact almost straight on. I could have stayed in the left lane, not indicated to turn right. If my tester takes me via this roundabout, do you think I should take up the right lane and indicate? the sign suggests that...

For the 2nd exit on any RBT I would always use the left lane.

Using the right lane on a bike introduces additional risk as you have another lane of traffic to cross as you exit. For that reason I avoid using the right lane wherever possible.

Yeah well I could have beat myself up about it, but what's the point?

Actually I had a bad feeling before the test. Not that it was in FAILsworth, I'm not superstitious. I didn't know the area, it was full of horrible humps, plus several 20 mph zones. The signs advising these are at first glance quite confusing (to me at least :)), having both 20 and 30 written on them.

I've already booked the next one, in Bredbury, which is close to where I live. I'm going to make sure I identify all the 20 mph zones before the test. Correcting the shoulder check thing is easy, starts from today, to form the habit.

I guess it was always going to be a bit of a long shot, trying to do the whole thing without any instruction in such a short period of time. If this experience makes me a safer rider it's worth the 75 quid, although I wish he'd just advised me!