Had my first scare!!!!

Throttled

<t>Can blamed be shared for a rear end accident?</t>  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Can blamed be shared for a rear end accident?

• No, no matter what happens the vehicle behind is at fault.
    • Yes, the vehicle in front cannot stop where it may be a hazard to other road users, but the vehcile behind still has responsibilty to be able to stop in time.

So the consensus is that you can stop wherever you want to, no matter what the circumstances are, the road conditions or anything.

Why the sigh? I am being serious.

The same thing happened again to day. I was in my car this time and behind a car which was behind a car that stopped at empty round a bout. I had a much better view of what was going on this time and could stop in time easily. The car infront of me was not happy at all, blowing its horn and then gesticulating at the first car once we were round the round a bout.

I assume stopping at an empty round a bout during a test would be a fail or at least a minor.

I have always used and checked my mirrors to make sure any manouevre I perform, including stopping is safe for roads users behind me.

even if its snowing and you skid down the road and hit some one up the arse its your fault tbh.

Not always! I remember one year with lots of snow and ice, I had to go down an in-gritted back road, so I set off down it with headlights on, driving very very slowly. I saw a car coming the other way, also driving very very slowly. We applied our brakes gently and in plenty of time; we were a pretty long way from each other. Unfortunately, we were driving on sheet ice with a thin covering of snow (although neither of us knew this), and so we slid towards each other, very slowly, over a period of about 15-20 seconds, and there was not a damn thing either of us could do about it. We collided gently, but seeing as no damage was done, we managed to get the cars apart and set off again.

Why the sigh? I am being serious.

Because you've missed the point. If you are having to do emergency stops and evasive manoeuvres frequently then you need to re-assess your riding/driving.

The same thing happened again to day. I was in my car this time and behind a car which was behind a car that stopped at empty round a bout. I had a much better view of what was going on this time and could stop in time easily. The car infront of me was not happy at all, blowing its horn and then gesticulating at the first car once we were round the round a bout.

Shock! Horror! Car stops at a roundabout. Ring the Daily Mail :roll:

I assume stopping at an empty round a bout during a test would be a fail or at least a minor.

Possibly, but diving between two cars because you couldn't stop in time would deffo be fail!

I have always used and checked my mirrors to make sure any manouevre I perform, including stopping is safe for roads users behind me.

You need to check your visor as well as your mirrors ;-)

It should be neither. The Give Way signs don't mean you can't stop, and if the driver feels he needs to stop in order to take in and process all the obs info including moving traffic, signs, road layout etc, then it's best that he does that at a Give Way than halfway round the RBT and have to switch lanes unnecessarily which could be more dangerous than a pause at the entrance.

A competent and courteous driver would hopefully never assume that the driver in front is familiar enough with the road to know where he's going without having to look first, and so be ready to stop if/when the driver in front decides to.

As someone else said "Drive such that you can stop within teh distance you can see to be clear" - note the lack of the word "assume" in that quote from Roadcraft.

What WOULD be a fail under test conditions, is blasting your horn at someone who dared to stop at a Give Way. :lol:

I have a clean drivers licence and it has been that way since I got it. This is my first near miss for more years than I can remember. I make mistakes, but nothing of any consequence. I don't lose my rag at other motorists and I drive defensively. But I still have things to learn.

The main thing I learned from my near miss was I do need to leave more space as the brakes on my bike are not that good.

I have also learned that I need to be more wary of other road users as I was under the impression you should not stop when the way ahead of you is clear. I also thought that unless it is an emergency, you should make sure it is safe for you to stop and that you are not going to be a hazard or inconvenience other road users.

I also thought that unless it is an emergency, you should make sure it is safe for you to stop and that you are not going to be a hazard or inconvenience other road users.

In an ideal world you are correct.

However we live in an imperfect world and share it with people that passed their test years ago and still think the middle lane is the "fast" lane, that indicators are for other people to use, that fog lights should be switched on in September and off in May, and that the road ahead belongs to them as they "pay road tax every year".

What I have learned from this and other reports of roundabout madness on this forum are

That I have an escape route by passing cars.

http://www.ponychan.net/chan/dis/src/131337671431.jpg

Seriously... just make sure you can stop in time.

Regularly diving out alongside stopped/slowing traffic in a last minute panic is a superb idea... but only if you actually want to become a mangled heap on the side of the road.

What I have learned from this and other reports of roundabout madness on this forum are

That I have an escape route by passing cars.

http://www.ponychan.net/chan/dis/src/131337671431.jpg

Seriously... just make sure you can stop in time.

Regularly diving out alongside stopped/slowing traffic in a last minute panic is a superb idea... but only if you actually want to become a mangled heap on the side of the road.

I am well aware of that thanks. Quite why you think this is a regular problem is beyond me. It is my first big mistake in years. There was no panic, I realised that going past the cars was my safest option. If you have to make up exaggerations and sarcy comments to get your point over you have a failed argument.

I made a fricking mistake and I think the driver who stopped did so as well. Nothing so far has changed my mind. I will continue to stop only if it safe to do so and I will not inconvenience or cause a hazard to other road users.

Sorry, I don't want to sound like a dick... I'm sure you're a safe rider, and I'm fully aware that every road user (myself included) makes mistakes, but I firmly believe you should always try to make sure that your safest option is stopping in time if possible.

If your safest option is to dive up the side, that's fine... unless you're on a single track road with oncoming traffic or on a dual carriageway with stuff overtaking you.

The reason for Tommy Lee Jones' glare was that your posts didn't suggest you were having a think about your approach to stopping distances... they came across more like "ah, this situation is kinda okay because I can jump alongside stuff if I need to".

Anyway, it's very possible that you could have stopped in time, but you made a good judgement in plenty of time and decided it was safe to pass rather than drop the anchors... making me just another judgemental, condescending internet-forum twat. In which case, as you where :lol:

EDIT: Also, the only reason I assumed you made the decision in a panic was because it inspired you to start a thread called "had my first scare", which kind of implies a really close call.

I have added a poll to the thread as I think this is an interesting issue.

I would emphasis that I have no intention of making the same mistake again and I have learned a valuable lesson. But I do think you have a responsibility to other road users when you stop.

I would emphasis that I have no intention of making the same mistake again and I have learned a valuable lesson. But I do think you have a responsibility to other road users when you stop.

I can't vote. I want to vote yes but I don't agree the emphasis you placed on the qualifier statement for a yes vote

im tending to say your own rider no matter what, you usually leave your self enough space or escape route, to hit someone behind and i have in car , is usually not looking and planning. To be fair ive approached roundabouts and seen nothng coming either side and assumed the cager has only to find myself having to put on the anchors to stop for no reason cos teh cager looked when she actually got to the lines.

Dont assume anything , or give anyone to much credit assume everyone is an idiot or out to kill you on roads.

Ride your own ride.

I can't vote. I want to vote yes but I don't agree the emphasis you placed on the qualifier statement for a yes vote

What is wrong with the qualifier statement? I wanted to exclude emergency stops where the vehicle in front can stop and the it is totally the vehicle behinds fault if there is a collision.

What is wrong with the qualifier statement? I wanted to exclude emergency stops where the vehicle in front can stop and the it is totally the vehicle behinds fault if there is a collision.

I don't agree with the first part of it. Whenever a vehicle stops on the highway it automatically becomes a hazard. They way you have worded it nobody could ever stop, not even in an emergency. :P

I would vote Yes, but only if the fullstop came straight after the 's'