Hi vis clothing

I heart Half Man Half Biscuit :D

I'm all for hi-vis, but is it the best way to be visible?

I read recently that if you and your bike are one solid colour then you are more visible to other road users.

I dont know the answer, my bike is black and red and my car is bright yellow. I have little experience on the bike ( :roll: ) but in the car, despite being bright yellow, I have an average of 2-3 drivers pull out on me a day. Frighteningly close. At least on the bike I have the accelaration and agility to get out the way, but not necessarily the confidence! Anyway, I will use high vis on the bike if only at night and in poor visibility and as far as I feel it benefits me. However, I feel that given the standard of driving in the uk I no longer feel that hi vis will provide me with any additional visability or protection. I may be be alone in feeling this, and I hope that I am, but it seems to be the way that things are going :(

I'm not convinced that when people say drivers don't "see" motorbikes, they actually mean "see" at all. "Acknowledge" or "recognise", perhaps.

The other day I was wearing a long sleeved hi-viz jacket and silver helmet, and was riding a lime green bike - so, about as visible as I think it's possible for a motorcyclist to be. I was on a roundabout on a major motorway junction, approaching my exit, in a lane clearly marked for that direction, when the driver of a black VW looked me straight in the eye as she pulled out onto the roundabout into my path.

Good job one of us was awake. Rider and bike OK. Horn apparently not audible to anyone not actually sitting on the bike at the time :(

Hi Viz can't overcome the cloak of invisibility that descends when you mount the bike.

I have to wear it at work and it does help spotting pedestrians and stationary hazards.

However the movement of the motorcycle is incomprehensible to some road users and they misjudge and misread speed and direction.

It's not the eyes that don't see you , it's the brain that can't perceive you.

Get some noisey pipes. The noise seems to make them get out the way 8-)

Guest philgale

Im with techno, said it so many times....its not the fact people cant see you on a bike its the fact people dont look, so no matter how much hi-viz you wear if somebody isnt looking they wont see you