Honda hornet - tyres

dimmers

Hi,

been looking for some new tyres for my hornet, and was just wondering what people thought would be a good option for someone that does a lot of commuting (with the very occasional weekend blast)?

I bought the bike new last year, and it came with a set of Bridgestones (can't remember what the model is) on it. Already had to have the rear changed at around 4k mark, and now i'm near 8k i need to replace both.

Tried a search on here and didn't come up with much, but if someone knows of a thread then please let me know (or any good websites - currently looking through threads on the hornetsnest).

thanks!

I got some of these when I got my first set of tyres (others were squared off when I bought it),

avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/storm-2-ultra

It was purely by chance, because they were all they had that would fit my wheels at the time! (150s)

Ive done 8k miles on them over a year and a half, and they've still got loads of tread left, hardly look worn tbh.

Go for a dual compound tyre or 2ct as there are sometimes called.

Harder in the center and softer on the edges for better grip. Then its down to money and personal preferences.

Me Personally i use Michilin pilot road 2s. They last ages are good in the wet and give me loads of confidence (However they do take a little longer to warm up)

Rennie has recently had the Avon Storm Ultra's fitted.

Hasn't put that many miles on them yet but he seems pretty happy with how they're performing so far :)

thanks!

I should add that they weren't that expensive in comparison to some - if I remember they were less than £200 for the pair :)

Rennie has recently had the Avon Storm Ultra's fitted.

Hasn't put that many miles on them yet but he seems pretty happy with how they're performing so far :)

thanks!

I should add that they weren't that expensive in comparison to some - if I remember they were less than £200 for the pair :)

that sounds pretty good to me! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

finally going in to get some new tyres Monday morning (after delaying it as long as possible), was all set for the Pilot road 2's, but a quick phone call to the tyre place and they tell me that they're out of stock of the 2's and that they will only have pilot road 3's from now on!

i imagine this will be the case for most places now, so thinking of just going with the 3's.

anyone had any experience with these? they look to be even better than the 2's (and more expensive!)

One thing I have to say is I always had pilot road 2's however the fz1 came with normal pilot roads not the 2ct's, when I replaced them i just changed like for like and tbh there more than fine for a cheaper option as they were £80 cheaper and no descernable drop off in performance for the fz1, dunno if theyd have made a difference to the blade but for a touring tyre there more than fine and a considerable saving.

Oh and I do tend to push them :wink: