Should people who pass DAS have some kind of restriction

Boothy

<t>Should people who pass DAS have some kind of restriction for there first year?</t>  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should people who pass DAS have some kind of restriction for there first year?

• Yes
    • No

No. If someone wants to buy a big bike after a das course let them. I did my das and bought a ninja 636. If I had to ride a restricted bike I probably would not have bothered.

If they are going to ride like a knobber it does not make a difference what size the bike is, the only difference will be the speed a which they stack it!

There are already restricted licences available so why penalise everyone for the sake of a few. At 21 you are big enough and ugly enough to understand your actions have consequences.

Stu

The reason for doing DAS is so you have no restriction and can ride whatever you want, I did it and bought the GSX600f.

I do think from a safety point of view it's ridiculas to be able to go out and but a hyabussa or similar as a first bike as soon as you've passed your test on a 500cc bike with no further training, regardless of if you're 21 or 51?

At 21 you are big enough and ugly enough to understand your actions have consequences.

I see what you mean and to by honest I thought that by the age of 21 that people would know that it would be silly to be getting bikes that can match supercars for performance after only a few weeks of riding but recent posts/ people I've spoken to it has become clear that this is not the case.

I think the rules around riding bikes are complicated enough.

Car drivers are not restricted to power or engine capacity. Generally the affordability of insurance is more of an inhibition to riding more powerful bikes or driving more powerful cars. Perhaps insurance companies should hike the premiums more on higher capacity bikes for less experienced riders and give the rest of us a break!

If people are rich enough and daft enough to still go for a ridiculously powerful bike just after passing their DAS then its up to them. One way of getting rid of them and closing the income gap :lol:

Either that or anyone riding a bike of more than 100bhp within a year of passing has to display a warning sign saying 'I am a *****' (insert insult of your choice) so other road users can take evasive action.

If people are rich enough and daft enough to still go for a ridiculously powerful bike just after passing their DAS then its up to them. One way of getting rid of them and closing the income gap :lol:

Either that or anyone riding a bike of more than 100bhp within a year of passing has to display a warning sign saying 'I am a *****' (insert insult of your choice) so other road users can take evasive action.

That's a bit harsh, although I am inclined to agree with the sentiment.

I passed DAS and 11 weeks later I bought a VTR1000 Firestorm. The insurance cost me less than £20 more than the GSX600F.

Does that make me a *****?

for there first year? Personally I think its ridiculous that somebody aged 21 can go and do DAS and then go and buy a ZZR1400 (other bikes not suitable for new riders available) if they wanted.

As of 2013 this will not be possible. Nor for 22 or 23 year olds.

You'll need to be 24+.

Does that make me a *****?

Couldn't possibly comment Bogof :lol:

Engine restriction is a pretty blunt weapon. Most 'big' bikes can do 100mph plus and out accelerate most cars, its what goes on between the ears that makes someone 'safe' or 'unsafe'. Insurance premiums are based on risk, age of rider, 'type' of bike, capacity of bike, BHP, location, whether you use it for commuting, whether you take a pillion, likely mileage etc.........No legislation can take all that into account.

nope...cant see the point , when you can do the standard test, sit it out for 2 years and then ride whatever the hell you like with no experience of the higher power, whichever way you view this , the whole system would need restructuring if you implemented a restriction after das.

Hahaha nice joke boothy, absolutly not, no more bloody restrictions, your restricted sort of by insurance costs upto a point.

I like the idea of letting learners have more than 15bhp tho.

me too, may actually be able to reach duel carraigeway speeds O.O immagine that, keeping up with traffic! Would be a lot safer away from traffic lights too. I hardly ever filter to the front on the 125

Hahaha nice joke boothy, absolutly not, no more bloody restrictions, your restricted sort of by insurance costs upto a point.

I like the idea of letting learners have more than 15bhp tho.

me too, may actually be able to reach duel carraigeway speeds O.O immagine that, keeping up with traffic! Would be a lot safer away from traffic lights too. I hardly ever filter to the front on the 125

On second thoughts it would make it more difficult to buzz learners :)

Restrictions after DAS would not work. If it would come into legislation, You may as well do your A2 when possible, And just wait the 2 years for your unlimited access, as im sure has been mentioned.

If this came into action, Then surely anyone who passes their car test should be restricted to cars under a certain performance grade? until they have driven a lower performing one for a period of time?

Nah it wouldn't work and everyone would just drive/ride illegally. Or even if someone was to persue getting a license it'd be a massive ballache and people would no doubt be put off, Reducing the amount of riders.

I have no idea if i made sense or not. :P

Restrictions after DAS would not work. If it would come into legislation, You may as well do your A2 when possible, And just wait the 2 years for your unlimited access, as im sure has been mentioned.

If this came into action, Then surely anyone who passes their car test should be restricted to cars under a certain performance grade? until they have driven a lower performing one for a period of time?

Nah it wouldn't work and everyone would just drive/ride illegally. Or even if someone was to persue getting a license it'd be a massive ballache and people would no doubt be put off, Reducing the amount of riders.

I have no idea if i made sense or not. :P

Well they have done it to everybody under 21.

i think that if you pass your test on a 500 and you should be restricted to a 500. for ever.

buy a bigger bike and you should have to re take another test, on that bike.

each time you buy a bigger bike. you sit another test. and so on.

but what do i care i passed my test bloody years ago :mrgreen:

only joking.

no. no restrictions at all.

once you have proven your ability in a test then you have proven your ability. full stop..

i do agree on the 21 age limit tho. the bad old days of passing your test on a 125 as a 17 year old and then going out to buy a gsxr1100 are happily in the past.