YBR bulb

mealexme

Ok so currently my YBR is crap, you literally have to guess where the road is in the dark.

Does anyone know what bulb will fit it physically and without blowing a fuse that wont burn through anything (I vaguely remember that being a problem) and wont drain the battery too much. I want it to still start over winter on the button. I also dont want to modify anything to make it work, I just want something thats a straight swap that will enable me to see at night on roads that don't have cats eyes. (You dont appreciate cats eyes until you ride on roads without them!

Thanks, Alex

Your looking for a 12v xenon headlight, by the right kind and you shouldn't miss a beat.

waste of money xenon is a technology that exists in HID bulbs and needs 20000 volts to run it they dont use a filament and creates an arc across electrodes in xenon gas these so called xenon bulbs are crap and a waste of money if you want true xenon you need a HID kit which cannot be fitted in to a reflector headlight

Alex what size bulbs do yours take? H1 H4 H7 etc etc

i think the osram night breakers are the best available

a projector conversion with a HID kit installed would be your best bet

Except that it's (probably) illegal, and about to become definitely illegal I understand.

And judging by the number of bikes with ridiculously bright and maladjusted headlamps dazzling other road users at the moment, not before time! I for one am fed up with being temporarily blinded by selfish twats with illegal headlamps. :shock:

Except that it's (probably) illegal, and about to become definitely illegal I understand.

And judging by the number of bikes with ridiculously bright and maladjusted headlamps dazzling other road users at the moment, not before time! I for one am fed up with being temporarily blinded by selfish tw*ts with illegal headlamps. :shock:

They should fail MOT's on that basis... But Vans are worst for it as are some cars.

HID projectors are fitted as standard to some Yamaha's and MV Agustas and are legal. However you need a self-leveling kit for them to be legal and that's a bit of a nuisance to sort out.

HID projectors without a self-leveling device are illegal

HID kits for bikes ive seen used with my mates bike who runs it through his high beam switch on an SV650. He adjusted them right down for road use using me as a guinea pig to see if it was too bright or not. They are ok I believe but if you do what he did, which is to run them as high beams I've been told you can get away with that at the mot station.

And judging by the number of bikes with ridiculously bright and maladjusted headlamps dazzling other road users at the moment, not before time! I for one am fed up with being temporarily blinded by selfish tw*ts with illegal headlamps. :shock:

lets not start all this again!!

they are only illegal in headlights that arent made for HID as you get too much stray light

majority of projectors are made for HID's and you dont get any stray light to blind people the cut off is miles better on a projector

They should fail MOT's on that basis... But Vans are worst for it as are some cars.

HID projectors are fitted as standard to some Yamaha's and MV Agustas and are legal. However you need a self-leveling kit for them to be legal and that's a bit of a nuisance to sort out.

HID kits for bikes ive seen used with my mates bike who runs it through his high beam switch on an SV650. He adjusted them right down for road use using me as a guinea pig to see if it was too bright or not. They are ok I believe but if you do what he did, which is to run them as high beams I've been told you can get away with that at the mot station.

they will only fail MOT if the beam pattern is all wrong which they would be in a reflector unit but not projectors

and are you sure they are HID's on the above bikes and not just projector headlights?

i use HID's in my high beam on the car and is legal as high beam is just checked to see if it works there is no set beam pattern for the high beam and you dont use them when other vehicles are around

Alex what size bulbs do yours take? H1 H4 H7 etc etc

Not a clue lol. How do I even find out? Is it on the bulb somewhere? And lets leave the HID out of it for now, i'm not going to get the kit because thats modifying and I really cant be arsed with the faffing about for what is basically my work horse over winter. Just want a simple replacement bulb that will be nice and bright :D

p.s thanks for the idea though :)

if you have got a manual for it alex that should tell you what the bulb is thats in it

was thinking I didnt have one, I know I have one for the bandit but couldnt think of ever having one for the YBR. But in fact thats a lie. I have one on my computer :D

Headlight type: Halogen bulb

Bulb wattage x quantity:

Headlight: 12V 35w /35w (1pc)

Halogen are bright aren't they? To be fair though I did replace it when I cooked it the bulb (smoke came from the headlight area :oops:). I was wandering why it wasnt as bright as it used to be, thought it was my imagination. I obviously just bought a cheap bulb

right done a bit of looking and you run a 35/35 bulb its not a H.... its an odd one and i dont think you can get a more powerfull one to fit

i would replace the whole unit if you can my bro has a spare one off a bandit that could be had off him

right done a bit of looking and you run a 35/35 bulb its not a H.... its an odd one and i dont think you can get a more powerfull one to fit

i would replace the whole unit if you can my bro has a spare one off a bandit that could be had off him

thanks for doing some research, but na its alright, I will just use the duel carriageway if I need to get to tesco again, or use my dipped beams because at least they light up the road haha

Thanks for the input guys, only have 3 or 4 months till im on the bandit anyway :D

this may fit? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADLIGHT-BUL ... 424wt_1112

no idea, not sure about electronics. Can anyone confirm that this bulb will A) work B) fit in the case C) fit in the socket D) not burn out the wiring E) will not drain the battery?

i would check against your bulb and if it fits i would wire it through relays as its a lot more powerful then yours and not worth the risk

this may fit? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADLIGHT-BUL ... 424wt_1112

no idea, not sure about electronics. Can anyone confirm that this bulb will A) work B) fit in the case C) fit in the socket D) not burn out the wiring E) will not drain the battery?

i would check against your bulb and if it fits i would wire it through relays as its a lot more powerful then yours and not worth the risk

so much effort for someone with no electronical knowledge haha. Will give it a go though, thanks :D

Halogen are bright aren't they? To be fair though I did replace it when I cooked it the bulb (smoke came from the headlight area :oops:). I was wandering why it wasnt as bright as it used to be, thought it was my imagination. I obviously just bought a cheap bulb

if you had smoke coming from the headlamp unit it's possible that the wiring and/or reflector is damaged too, you may have soot on the inside of the lense aswell.. i'd replace the whole lamp unit with a decent bulb. and if its still really bad, ride around with main beam on and not just dipped :wink:

so much effort for someone with no electronical knowledge haha. Will give it a go though, thanks :D

its really easy to do the hardest part will be connecting the wiring to your headlight :wink:

they will only fail MOT if the beam pattern is all wrong which they would be in a reflector unit but not projectors

and are you sure they are HID's on the above bikes and not just projector headlights?

i use HID's in my high beam on the car and is legal as high beam is just checked to see if it works there is no set beam pattern for the high beam and you dont use them when other vehicles are around

They are HID's but no projector, he used them with his reflectors and set them up so that only worked on high beam and didnt dazzle you too badly when you saw them. And when he used them on the road the beam is pointing down quite a lot but the light fills more than twice the area the standard bulbs did without being dazzling.

Projectors are only illegal if they are running a HID kit inside them and dont self-level, otherwise you're all good :)

I got told this by a local biker rozzer who I asked when I thought about fitting them to my bike

I didnt ask about projectors though... Am I allowed to fit these to my bike? If so im gutting my front headlight assembly :lol: