Help starting bike - kickstarting then engine cuts out!

Guest lisamckinney1986

Hello fellow bike enthusiasts!

I've come here for some help and I want to apologise in advance as I am totally clueless when it comes to bikes (I'm a girl so that's my excuse!)

Anyway...bought myself a YBR 125 nearly 2 weeks ago now and have so far only been out on it once - just been shown how to kickstart so at least I can get it running now!

So, the problem is, I can get the engine running but then I don't really know what to do and it just cuts out. When I kickstart it, I push the lever down and keep it down for a bit and if I just keep it there everything seems fine. Then, I open the throttle a bit and a few seconds later the engine will cut out.

My friend manages to start it fine so it's definitely something I'm doing wrong.

Any ideas? Do I need to take my foot off the kickstart lever more quickly? Or try giving it loads of gas?

HELP!

YBR's come with both.

My YBR did that today (although I used the electric start) I put it down to the cold. Especially as the bandit refused to start today for a while too! Bloody engines and cold weather!

Anyway, back to the question. Is it in neutral when you rev it? Because some YBR's have a side stand switch which cuts the engine off when you move it into gear. Make sure the side stand is up

Also if you have to kick start it a few times before it starts, next time try and start it on the first or second kick, if it doesnt work then leave it a couple of minutes and try again because I think trying to kick start it will flood the engine if it doesnt start in the first few tries, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I am sure someone will be along shortly to confirm or disregard that comment

hello Lisa and welcome to TMBF :D

why not say hello in the newbie's section? :lol:

Both my son's and Susieque's YBRs are difficult to start!

you need to start it on full choke, no throttle then just leave it for

ages! eventually you can turn the choke off slowly and it will respond

to the throttle as normal.

They seem to take longer to warm up than any other bike I've come accross.