Back brake rubbing after brake line change

XmisterIS

Note that I haven't ridden the bike since the end of October.

Last week I changed the brake lines; I've installed braided steel lines (Goodridge).

All went well, I've refilled them, no leaks, they seem to work fine (at a standstill)

Note that when I changed the lines over, the old lines were off the bike for about a month while I got new lines.

BUT ... the back brake is rubbing quite a lot on the rear disc. When I put the bike up on the paddock stand, the wheel can be rotated, but you can definitely feel resistance there, and you can hear it rubbing. It used to rub a bit, but not that much.

Is this something that will fix itself once I ride the bike (seeing as it's not been ridden for about 7 weeks)? Or should I take the calliper off and push the pistons back into the caliper with a screwdriver? Or can that be done without removing the calliper?

it could just be that the caliper has furred up a little while been stood

in most cases it will free of when you ride again personally i would get a tin of brake cleaner take the caliper off pump the pistons out a few mm clean with the brake cleaner and a old tooth brush push the pistons back and see how it is from there :)

ps dont just push the pistons back without cleaning you could contaminate the seals

No!!! Don't use paraffin, use BRAKE CLEANER, that's what it's for. Cost about £2.50 for a big aerosol. :mrgreen:

You buy experiance. But if someone is willing to pass thiers on. I'll listen all day long

Thanks Alan :cheers:

Well, I don't think I'll take the calipers off just yet - took it out for a blast yesterday and the back wheel is spinning more freely now. It's gone back to the amount of pad-disc contact that there was before.

Out of interest, is it impossible to avoid a bit of rubbing of the pad on the disc?

If the pistons are withdrawing properly when you release the brake and the pads aren't jammed, there should be very little drag , but yes you often can't get rid of it completely. Main thing is that the disc isn't hot all the time, ie when you haven't been using the brake! :mrgreen:

The pads float as it were just barely touching the disc, ride it down a road without braking then reach back and feel. If its hot then you have a problem.

When I havent ridden all week I find the brakes drag a bit more, but a ride sorts them out. I think you are suffering from the same thing so ride it a few more times and see what happens :)

The pads float as it were just barely touching the disc, ride it down a road without braking then reach back and feel. If its hot then you have a problem.

You may find it easier to stop before you do this :lol: