overheating help

Swiss Rolls

This is the first problem i have encountered with my bike apart from a few electrical gremlins, it now has a habit of getting rather hot, the temp gauge is way above average after 20mins of riding, and prolonged hard use sees the coolant in the reservoir boiling :/

i do not have the money to take it to the garage but should be able to do whatever needs doing myself with friends, but its diagnosing the problem that i'm struggling with. my first thoughts are thermostat, water pump, leaky radiator, blocked coolant pipes or perhaps head gasket.

i have topped up the radiator and the problem is still there, and i do not think it is the waterpump or thermostat, can anyone help me out with finding the cause of the problem?

i have topped up the radiator and the problem is still there, and i do not think it is the waterpump or thermostat, can anyone help me out with finding the cause of the problem?

Does the fan cut in?

Moved to pitstop

The fan won't make a blind bit of difference if its doing it while riding as in this weather the fan won't come on when its moving

If it only gets got in traffic that's when you need to check the fan out

Check the radiator to see if it gets hot if so your stat is fine

What bike is it too? It could be water pump remove the radiator cap give it a few revs you should see the water drop slightly also smell the coolant a good sign the head gasket has gone is if you can smell exhaust fumes from the coolant

Check oil for coolant and coolant for oil. Drain coolant and flush system with a recommended flushing, cleaning solution. Check pump is actually pumping by removing a hose when cold and see how long to empty system into a bucket, estimate flow through pump and compare with manual. Give radiator a good clean inside and outside. If all else fails, use a high efficiency coolant, expensive , but cost effective.

Did you top up with water? It needs a 50 50 mix antifreeze and water, (coolant). Too little atifreeze will cause overheating.

It's a simple process of illimination, the coolant needs to flow round the engine and return to the matrix (radiator) to be cooled by passage of air.

A kinked hose, a blocked or faulty thermostat, a blocked matrix, a faulty pump, will stop normal flow.

The pressure needs to be maintained above atmospheric, to stop the coolant boiling, so check cap and look for leaks.

Daft time of year to be overheating 8-)

I did top it up with half water and half antifreeze but it didn't need a lot at all, the radiator will be a little bit clogged from winter riding i guess so will clean it tomorrow, however it is now getting hotter than normal after just a few minutes of gentle riding and i can't not ride it really :(

it is a piss take to do anything on the bike as i had to take the tank and airbox off just to get to the radiator so the next time i have to do that it would be nice to sort the problem haha

i do not think it is the thermostat or waterpump or a blockage as when the radiator cap was off and the engine was running, i could see coolant being pumped around, that should rule out all 3 of them?

I will have no trouble mechanically doing any of the work required and the bike is 22 years old and just under 20 000 miles, which is around about the mileage other people from forums say there zxr400 head gaskets went.

so if i cant defiantly say it is the head gasket would you say it is worth changing anyways?