What needs to be done

Sigil

Hey,

I am going to do some maintenance and service my bike, i am just wondering what i will need to do and what is ok to leave. As the maintenance schedule is done on both miles and years from it i think my bike needs the lot doing...

Here is the service history before i got it: Its a 2002 honda CBR600F (injection model)

First 500 mile service - 07/02: actual mileage:601

4000 mile service - 06/05: actual mileage: 3260

8000 mile service - 06/09: actual mileage 3795

And that its.

I got the bike late september in 2011 with 3800 miles on the clock It is now on 6050 miles.

What i know needs changing is the oil and oil filter what is easy enough.

Im thinking i might as well do the air filter

Will pull a spark plug out and see if its ok but I think they should be fine.

But as the bike has only has never has its 2year/12k mile service and the last service was over 2 years ago it means officially i need to:

change spark plugs

lubricate throttle and choke cables

changing the coolant

change the brake fluid

And lots of adjusting/ checking scheduled...

Dont know if its best to try and do the lot or leave it or go to the dealer to get the 24,000mile (2year) service the bike is due for?

Just wanted to know what you guys think needs doing and what is fine to leave.

I have decided im going to do as much of the servicing myself as i can, I have already got myself a haynes manuel. Got a load of tools for xmas so should have most things needed.

I was just wondering if things like the brake fluid needs changing and things like checking/adjusting valve clearances need to be done

Also dose anyone have any recommended/preferred shops to get the suplies of :)?

Ok i think ill try and do as much as i can then :).

All the fluid changes seem easy enough. Will be having a read up abit later tonight about the other checks :)

And TC seen one of them kits seems good. I have seen people on other forums change the fluid by insted of draining it, letting the level drop down in the reservoir then topping up with new fluid and doing this 3-4 times instead of draining the lot. The aim was to avoid having to bleed out lots of air. If you want to look ill pm u the link.

Thanks for all the help guys :D

ive never once drained a system to put new fluid in always just bleed it through and it will pull the old stuff out simple

as has been said already may aswell do the lot if you can

oil and oil filter are easy as is brake fluid providing you dont let air in and make sure you dont spill any on paint it will strip it

read the manual on valve clearance check too its easy to check a little harder to adjust if you havent done it before

Ah, thats good to hear stu, dosent seem to bad to change the brake fluid then.

Looked over the haynes manuel now and dosent seem to hard to do the services besides the valve clearance check/ adjustment.

The check dosent seem to bad... the adjustment is quite bad tho...

Requires quite abit of tools i dont have tho, low torque torque wrench, something to measure the clearances and if adjustment is required a micrometer (altho they are useful to have anyway)

Im guessing not doing the coolant wont have any detrimental effect on corrosion exc, just wait to summer and if temps are ok leave it.