Nervous? and remedy?

Guest jarv8185

On 06/01/2024 at 00:25, Beryl Swain said:

I passed my cbt 2 years ago, didn't make one fault, but...I learned to ride on my own bike, a suzuku intruder, did all the manoeuvres loads in car parks so when it came to cbt day it all felt really easy and the instructor was a proper biker so put us at ease. I didn't make one fault on the day and I have never been on the road apart from on motorbikes, so had to learn the highway code for the cbt. Cbt has now run out and I want my full license.  I had a mod 1 lesson last year but nerves screwed it up for me as I felt way  inexperienced on the bigger more modern bikes, I dropped it too but becausei somehow skipped a gear and the bike wobbled and I couldn't flatfoot so down she went lol. I loved the extra power of the throttle though but anxiety kind of made me have a block and I couldn't relax enough to do the slow control bits. I had a lot of stress going on in the background so I was quite distracted on the day and had to get 3 trains to get there that morning which didn't help matters. I thought the mod 1 would be easy if you can rude a bike but it seems you have to nail it as quickly as you can these days due to the rising costs of the training and test fees etc...which adds to the pressure.  I want that full license so bad though so I'll rebook cbt, maybe do direct access so I can ride the 650 I have in my lounge :) I know I can ride and I have ridden big bikes in car parks to practise slow control and stuff, had a go on my 650 too but that's a 20 year old bike so the newer bike school bikes seem a bit more mental, sensitive throttle. I meditated on the bike on my cbt, deep breathing, and just knew I could do it but the mod 1 seems like a different beast. Mod 2 doesn't worry me as much as I've been pilly for years so seen lots on the road and I've also memorised the highway code I'm that obsessed with bikes :) the more you know beforehand,  the calmer and more confident you'll feel. A lot of the time it's mind over matter with the nerves...find your way of finding that inner calm but I know it's not easy for everyone.  Just don't give up trying and you'll get there and the more times you ride, your skills will grow like anything. I wish it was still like in the old days where you rode around the block and the instructor stands there with a clipboard:)

I hope they've gotten the license now after 11 years :D