FZ 8 Fazer

katchin

Hi all, just bought a brand new FZ8, love it.

Very noisy though, and I don't mean the exhaust. Sounds like the radiator to me, is this a quirk of the big bike / fazer?

Bearing in mind I came from a 125 to an 800, I really am new to this kind of thing.

Cheers.

Hi, nice choice of bike. I really like the look of them in blue with gold wheels.. :love:

Anyway.. What makes you think the radiator is noisy? It doesn't do anything apart from sit there. As its so new if you really think there is a problem you should take it back to the dealer and let them ride it. They would be able to tell if the noise is normal or not.

I could do that yes, but the dealer is 20miles away and would mean me taking time off work, if its a usual noise i'd prefer to learn about it the easy way :)

20 miles sounds like a good excuse for a ride out to me :wink:

You need to describe the noise a little better for people to have an idea of what may be wrong. Although without hearing it its going to be nigh on impossible for anyone to accurately diagnose it.. What speed do you hear it? High/low revs? Accelerating, decelerating? Hot, cold engine?

I hear it as soon as I switch press start, and its the kind of background noise I would expect from a pc fan trying to cool a very hot pc, only maybe more liquid based than air.....wow describing noise is hard!

again without hearing it it's hard to say!

but I'll guess :lol:

most(all) liquid cooled bikes have an extra cooling fan

that comes on once coolant has reached a certain temp

to prevent overheating.

If yours is stood idling for a while then the fan will probably come on.

It shouldn't be on all of the time!

any doubts at all with a new bike I'd take it back and ask.

The fan on my Fazer1000 comes on really quickly! especially

if I've got the choke on, it goes off as soon as I move though!

Mine is on always it seems, even at speed with the wind whistling in, that being said it has been hot. The temp gauge is always 75-95 C though, seems really high to me, problem?

95 is not too high mine goes over 100 before the fan kicks in read the manual, it will prob say its fine upto about 115-120.

Also there should be a warning light that goes with the bike overheating before top temp i think the one on mine is supposed to flash.

is it degrees C ?

water boils @ 100!

steam doesn't cool!

mine hasn't got a guage, just the red light. :lol:

Its engine temp its reading and not water temp and yes its degrees C.

And if you want to be accurate water boils at 100degC at normal atmospheric pressure, put it in a vaccum and it will boil at room temp :mrgreen:

Water will boil at 100 but coolant won't the coolant raises the boiling point to about 130 maybe more

95 is not too hot in fact its about right for running round town mine sits at 87 and easily goes to ever.100 round town

Well I rang the dealer, he wasn't concerned at all about the temperatures, said it was normal. He also couldn't identify what the noise was by my description though, said I was welcome to take it in, and could have a loan bike if they needed to keep mine in for any time. I have said i'll see how it goes, try and get some miles in, maybe combine both visits into the 600 mile service.

Yeah....water in the cooling circuit is under pressure which raises it's boiling point. Fan on mine comes on at 104 degrees......mid 80's while riding on open roads and climbs until the fan comes on in slow traffic.....but the temp drops when the fan is running.

You'd know if it was the cooling fan.....just stick your hand (carefully) behind the radiator while the engine is running....you'll feel the air flow. Either that or leave the bike idling and watch the temp....if it gets over 100-110 you would hear the fan come on. Or.....find the fuse for the fan and pull it out...then start the bike and see if you can still hear the fan.....be careful not to run it for long with the fuse out in case it overheats and damages the engine.

Or...best option is to take it back to dealer..... :wink: