A84 Stirling - Tyndrum, A82 - Alexandria, A811- Stirling

On Sunday we went out with a local club on a rideout to the Green Welly to have a look at the Ducati Roadshow.

It was a sunny day, but very VERY cold.

First stop was Callander, drove into the car park, kicked the sidestand down.... or so I thought :'(

Fortunately, damage is minimal. Scuffed bar end, mirror, some light marks low down on the lhs fairing, scratch at the lhs indicator and scratch between the headlights. Could have been a lot worse given it doesn't have crash bungs yet. Oh, and a curly clutch lever.

Continued on our way to Tyndrum. About 1.5 miles from the green welly the traffic slowed and just as we got there they closed the road. Biker had come off his bike and was being airlifted to hospital. The guys at the front of our group helped get the guy on the board and over the fence, they were told he had broken collar bone, torn tendons in his legs and had been unconscious for a bit. Bike was a write off.

We waited about 45mins, then the helicopter left and the police officer said the road wouldn't be open for another 45minutes. BAH. So we turned around.

Picture from when we were waiting, my VFR and oh's speed four at the front

Look at the hills :shock: Thats 100% more snow than I want to see on a rideout.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/545997_10151522543600065_704695064_23826727_627234106_n.jpg

Decided to head back down the a82 via Loch Lomond to get the Drovers Inn tag, also hoping that as its a slightly more sheltered road it would be less cold. It wasn't.

First few miles were nice and twisty, but then it just straightens out and stayed that way the whole 50 ish miles home. Apparently this is also where all the idiots were that day as well, and unfortunately most of the idiots were on two wheels. On a more positive note, when we hit the traffic at Luss every single car moved over so we could filter past!

First idiot (only one in a car) was a silly mare on waiting to come into a roundabout I was already on. There was nothing else on the roundabout and I could see her watching me come towards her, when I got to about 1 car length away from her she pulled out. Fortunately, despite being freezing and very tired I was sharp enough to swerve out the way and hit the horn!

Next 7 idiots were prime examples of why bikers have a bad reputation. Bullying (my oh and I, not just cars, I had 2 tailgaiting me- one on each side, so close I couldn't see the bikes only their jackets), overtaking on the left in the same lane in a single carriageway 30mph zone, 2 overtaking my oh on a single carriage way while he was overtaking some cars and nearly going head on into an oncoming car as a result.

Overall, not a great ride. Journey up was ok, its a good road on the way up but I was way too cold. Road back was pretty dull, and any chance of it being ok was spoiled by being harrassed by other bikers.

Oh well, there is always next weekend, and on the plus side we'll know to avoid the A82 at Loch Lomond in future!

This was our route, approx 150miles.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/iiisecondcreep/Bikey/15-4-12.jpg

The lad who came off is on another Scottish Bikers forum.

No word on his condition yet.

Early in the season Gayle, and those idiots are always out in force then.

Hope your bike isn't too bad.

And at least, like me on Friday after meeting TC & co, you didn't take all the wrong roads, dragging poor Revs (suffering with her AGV headache) along with me.

That was one sweet cuppa tea when we got home I can tell you.

KevD Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:56 pm Post subject:

My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Factory

My Birthday: 14 March 1976

Just back from the Southern General in Glasgow and Andy is doing well. He has 3 hairline fractures in his pelvis, broken collarbone, 2 broken ribs and 3 small bleeds in the brain. None of which are serious enough to be operated on. He's in good spirits, thanks everyone for their well wishes and if tomorrows obs are good they may let him return home. He knows he's had a lucky escape, and is thankful for that

HE WHO HINGETH ABOOT, GETETH HEE-HAW

just read this on scottish bikers

Cold my arse! That is tepid to mild compared to this........

Freezing for cold blooded people like me!

Just back from the Southern General in Glasgow and Andy is doing well. He has 3 hairline fractures in his pelvis, broken collarbone, 2 broken ribs and 3 small bleeds in the brain. None of which are serious enough to be operated on. He's in good spirits, thanks everyone for their well wishes and if tomorrows obs are good they may let him return home. He knows he's had a lucky escape, and is thankful for that

Thanks for posting, thats good to know!

• 3 weeks later...