Chain replacement questions.

Throttled

My next job is to replace my chain and sprokets. So to do that

1 - I cannot find the split link, so how do I best get the chain off?

2 - Do I need to have a specific torque when re-tightening the bolts holding the sprokets?

3 - Anything else you think I should know?

I have seen some good You Tube videos on generally changing the chain, but the above I am not so sure about. This is what I will replace it with

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-KLE5 ... 20bf836b5a

Chains don't tend to have split links on them any more..... :wink: So you'll need a chain splitter/rivetter.......like this.

The Front sprocket nut should be done up to the correct torque as should the rear sprocket nuts.....but you'll need to find the actual torque settings from Haynes manual or the like.

Good luck..... 8-)

Guest Hodgy

You don't need a chain splitter, a junior hacksaw will do just as well if the chain is going in the bin. You will need a chain riviter to put the new chain back on though :thumb:

So I need a chain splitter and a Haynes manual. Simples, surely :?:

You guys don't appear to have much confidence in my ability to do this job myself :?

Fairly simple yes, but make sure you have someone handy to help you if things go a bit Pete Tong perhaps?

The most important tricky things to know is how to rivet the chain together & how to align you rear wheel properly!

So I need a chain splitter and a Haynes manual. Simples, surely :?:

You guys don't appear to have much confidence in my ability to do this job myself :?

Of course we do mate....easy peasy...... :wink:

Just make sure you get a Splitter/Rivetter as you can get just splitters that are OK for taking the old chain off....but you'll need to rivet the new one on..... 8-) And when you rivet the new one on don't overdo it as you can crush or pinch the link and cause a tight spot where the link doesn't articulate as it should..... 8-)

Top tip undo the front sprocket bolt with the wheel still attached.Get somebody to stand on the rear brake and undo the bolt bike in gear helps to :D

HA HA! You jest sir. I have a 3' long breaker bar and weigh 19stone and I struggled! In the end had to put a 3" piece of wood through the wheel onto the swing arm and heat the nut too. I don't think it had been off for a while.

piece of piss changing the chain. it's just the sprocket carrier on Gayles gsxr that messed things up for us.

I'll dig out our chain splitter/riveter and see if its still usable. i think that it was rounding off a little.

'Motorcycle chains are rubbish'... coming to a forum near you.

Au contraire motorcycle chains are not rubbish. As for my "...are rubbish threads" that is just the eyecatching title to what I really mean by "can be improved" :wink:

piece of piss changing the chain. it's just the sprocket carrier on Gayles gsxr that messed things up for us.

I'll dig out our chain splitter/riveter and see if its still usable. i think that it was rounding off a little.

I thought what would come with the kit is a split link

http://www.cjaccessories.co.uk/images/P/sp.web.jpg

which you just push together. No riveting needed.

Guest Hodgy
I don't think most chains come with split links anymore.......none that I can think of anyway.... :wink:

Only time I've seen a split link was on a 125, I don't think their thought of as such a good idea on bigger bikes?

Well, they did the job for years, and the chain I bought last month for the divvy came with one, which I used as I didn't have a chain tool, and will be splitting the chain for a rebuild in the winter. (may replace anyway,but thought I might as well leave the option?

Let someone else do it ;)

I am wondering by the time you bought all the gear maby it would be actually cheaper to "let someone else do it"?

Also add in the hassle factor !

My M8 was trundling down the M5 when his chain snapped and instead of dropping out the back it went into the sprocket cover and minced his motor and gave him a nasty pant stain

I think I would get a Pro to do it who has all the right tools and experience (my guy charges £30 and takes about 90 minutes to do it)

(my guy charges £30 and takes about 90 minutes to do it)

never heard of such a reasonable 'guy' £30 for 90mins work amazing... or do you mean 9minutes!!!

first time changing my front sprocket went like this: after lots of huffing sweating and swearing with breakers bars, extensions and lumps of wood I relented and bought a £20 Impact gun which runs off the bikes battery, couple of minutes later it came off!