How weird is this with licence

Guest reddave101

Hi guys. Now bear with me with this as this is very weird and got a few people confused with it toady lol..

I originally passed my full bike test back in 98 when I was 19.. Now I posted in an earlier topic how I replaced my old paper licence with the new card licence not so long ago and needed to check to make sure the dvla had put my full motorbike catergory onto my replacement licence. I currently hold a provisional car licence as I will never get behind the wheel of another due to writing my car off whilst doing my driving test ironically a police car drove into me( that's another story) ..

So my current car licence is a provisional with the "L" in the top left hand corner. It shows catergory "A" motorbike on the rear with no restrictions and also "A" on the front..So why does it show catergory "B" car with no restrictions on the rear of the card and also "B" on the front. On the rear "A" and "B" both have the same dates "98" - "49" with nothing in the codes box next to each one.. Also both are in caps on the front with f,k,p in little letters..so basically my provisional driving licence is showing full motorbike and full car entitlement..If anyone may know of any explanation why this is please let me know as I'm baffled..or is it just another grand job done by those great civil servants in the dvla messing things up again...thanks in advance for any suggestion..

Oh and my paper counterpart shows absolutely nothing under any heading no restrictions literally nothing..

That is correct for a provisional license as it is telling you what you are provisionally allowed to do, not what you are licensed for.

That's my understanding anyway ;)

Thanks for the reply's. From what I understand the letters do show what you are entitled to drive/ride but there are restriction codes in the box next to them. So because I've got a full bike licence there would be no codes next to that but there should be codes next to the car as I don't have a full car licence. Or even show a restriction on the counterpart for the car??? And no my licence is still green and apparently it only changes colour once I have a full car licence..what I've read is full bike entitlement goes onto your provisional car licence and the provisional car licence is green.. But there is restrictions on the car...like I say that's what I understand and have read..

On a Green Provisional Licence all the categories that apply are on the reverse.

If you have a Full licence in any Category then the licence is Pink with the full categories on the reverse.

On the paperpart under Provisional Entitlements will be listed the categories that you will be termed 'a learner'

If you passed your bike test previously you should have a pink licence.

Are you sure that you actually posted off your pass Certificate to the DVLA?

I definitely posted of my pass certificate when I passed my bike test as my licence came back with with a catergory "A" on it. But that's what's weird. On my counterpart paper there is absolutely nothing printed on it and I definitely know I haven't passed my car licence and it doesn't show that I'm only a learner on the counterpart..I've checked a mates licence who also only has a full bike licence and he passed his 3 years ago and his is exactly the same as mine except his restriction for car is printed on the counterpart and his is green aswell and it's a provisional car licence. Have also contacted my insurance company and they have said my colour is right but car limitations should be on the counterpart. But they have also confirmed it shows full bike entitlement?? Thanks to all for info though..

I am not a traffic cop but as I understand it you should have a full licence for your motorcycle with cat b on the counterpart as prov entitlement,

I have never seen a prov licence with a full entitlement on it

Motorcycle licence should be pink with A on the card front and on the rear the date test passed

counterpart should have the entitlement to drive cat b and others with learner status

I will check tomorrow though as now I am starting to doubt something I do every day :roll

Having asked several of my colleagues at work re a provisional licence with full bike entitlement,

I could not find anyone who has come across this before

The consensus of opinion is that if you passed your test on a motorcycle you should have been sent a pink full driving licence with category A only on it with provisional entitlement to drive a car

I am a bit confused as to why they have started adding full entitlements of vehicles to a provisional licence as this will cause a lot of problems when you have to produce your licence as all entitlements on a provisional are “provisional”

I reckon that DVLA have made an error and not recognized the full licence status of your Category A but hopefully you still have the pass certificate from when you took your test