New Glasses

Nogin

Well I've just had to order some new glasses, as my old ones are scratched and old.

I've noticed that while reading and wearing glasses and also computer use can be a strain so as expected the optician has now suggested vary focal :shock:

I'm feeling old!

But I'm also really worried that I’m not going to get on with them and due to my prescription the lenses are really expensive! so I’ve shelled out a small fortune for them.

Anyone got any experience going from normal lens to a vary focal?

Lens hardening comes to us all. I took the option of reading glasses with the free second pair from specsavers.

He told me that my reading glasses would come with standard lenses, but on the upside they would be bullet proof glass.

Oh? says I

Yes. Any glass that thick will be bullet proof :?

Dave Allen used to say he didn't like getting older but it wasn't so bad if you consider the alternative http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Colin_the_bear/0018.gif

Go for the best quality varifocals you can afford and the transition isn't so harsh between reading and distance

I personally had no problems when i succumbed to old age and went to varifocals, took me a day to get used to them

You'll soon get used to occasionally tilting your head slightly to adjust for the different focal lengths

Yep, I've gone for the best lenses I could afford, which to be fair the optition said are "Superb lenses" £300 for 2 lenses, there were cheaper options but I figured go for broke!

I have also insured then against damage, it was £45 for 2 years (I don't normally do this but at the cost of them I thought its worth it), the whole deal cost me a whopping £545, lenses, insurance and new frames. Plus a free pair of perscription sun glassed.

It seems a lot, but my sight is something I like to get right.

How do you enlarge the text?

I can't read this :booty:

use the zoom....move your head closer to the screen :up:

I am gonna hate the time i have to sucumb to wearing glasses, am sure it will be the next time i have my eyes tested :twisted:

99p from the pound shop. I have my eyes tested every year due to glaucoma (not sure on spelling) and have been going to the same bloke since I was a nipper. I checked with him if the cheap glases were OK and he said as long as the lens strength was as he put on the prescription, I`d be OK.

Don`t take this as gospel though as your eyes are one of the most important senses.

Good luck with them Noggin and for god sake don`t go and sit on them :wink:

The only problem with the shop bought reading glasses is that both lenses are the same strength. Your eyes will probably be different. Some of these chains do really cheap specs if your needs are basic. http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Colin_the_bear/smiley-chores028.gif

Varifocals are great :) I had no trouble at all, took to them straight away, but I know some folks can take a while, & a few just don't get on with them at all - think that's less usual though, & maybe sometimes just due to not persevering enough.

If you don't want to be wearing one set for distance & another for close-up then I doubt you'll get specs from a £shop though :? !!!

I've worn contacts for years ( close-up vision fine but blind as bat at distances) but always like to have specs to wear at times (when I first get up/have dry tired eyes etc.) As of about 2 years ago my distance vision got worse though so with stronger prescription couldn't see close up, ok with lenses could pop on reading glasses but then middle distance was horrible :roll:

Tried all sorts of other options nothing felt right, now have varifocal specs & multifocal lenses (contact lens equivalent of varifocal specs) - can see properly again & no phaffing taking specs on & off, brilliant :D

Sure you'll be fine with them, & I definitely agree with varifocals especially it's better to pay a bit extra for a better quality lens.

Hi guys.

My wife is a lab manager for a well known opticians so here is my take.

If you don't get on with the varifocals take them back and tell them. They should let you go to bifocal or get 2 different pairs and refund etc. Some people just don't get on with them and my wife's company did this as often as needed.

The pound shop glassss are fine for small time frames but no good for you needing them on for more than 20 to 30 mins. As said before, the strength is the same is both lenses but also the pupil distance is not specific to the person. This induces prism which can cause eye strain, headaches and the like.

As for online spec makers, you do it at your own risk :). Most opticians will not give your pupil distance with a prescription as they are not then resposible for the glasses you get from a different company. As above the pupil distance is very important for prism etc and as well as headaches, if you use for driving they could be dangerous. Think of it this way, would you buy a helmet online without ever trying the model on? The eyes are probably the most important sense to someone and putting in the hands of people with incomplete information is asking for trouble imo.

If you can get a professional to do your pupil distance then all should be fine. However bear in mind my wife had to sign every pair of glasses off to the prescription and this is legally binding. If someone was in a car accident and the glasses weren't right she would end up in court. Not sure if the online guys would be as stringent. Basically get your glasses from a reputable optician :)

Rich

Bought these online. Measured my own pupil distance. Wore them for 2 years, no problems, apart from people doing double takes

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Colin_the_bear/Image033.jpg

LOL :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I collected them yesterday morning, and to be fair in the shop I was suprised they were not a bad as I thought.

As the day went on, I noticed a few things.

I have to now start truning my head, insted of my eyes as the distance focal point on the varifocal leses is different and very narrow compared to my old lenses. I also noticed that the up and down part is no problem, reading close up is great as I don't have to strain my eyes now but looking from left to right is really annoying as i'm use to turning my eyes, now to get the best focal point I have to turn my head!

I also got a hell of a headache yesterday and felt really fatigued after wearing them for a few hours.

I suspect this is normal while the eyes get use to them.

I have problems with side to side. I think it's due to the lens thinning toward the edges for cosmetic reasons. I used to go for round frames so that the lens thins naturally but they seem to be out of fashion at the mo.

If I keep liking everything John Lennon on facebook perhaps they'll make a comeback 8-)