Rotten rear swinging arm Suzuki GS 125 ES passed MOT!

Merlin

Sorry not to have been here for a bit, been on crutches following a (non-bike) accident for 9 months. Now hobbling on 2 feet.

Anyway - I put my bike in for its MOT and explained to the mechanic that, due to the accident I haven't had it on the road, we both agreed "it'll probably sail through in that case". Got a call today to say the rear swing arm is completely rotten, and in his words "a death trap" as it could snap at any time. I'm disappointed that the first garage sold me something not road worthy and dangerous - obviously thought being a woman he'd get away with it (I guess he was right :oops: )

The mechanic said I could probably get one on flea-bay, I can for any other Suzuki bike but mine.... I lie, there is a rusty one for sale for £32.95 inc P&P . This is in such a bad state there is a hole in it! I'd be willing to sand down surface rust and repaint one but this is well past it.

I've looked on "google" and can get a brand spanking new one for just over £200 - but now of course the MOT is going to cost a tonne and I have uni fees to pay very soon :(

I don't want to compromise on safety (again) and if I have to bite the bullet and get a new one so be it.

I've had some very helpful advice on here before my accident and wonder if anyone can suggest where else I can source a rear swinging arm for my death trap, I mean bike. I'm tempted to report the garage for passing it in the first place......

cheers,

Merlin

Doesn't sound particularly like you were sold a duffer, te fact that there are none on ebay except a rotten one, means they obviously rot like a SOB. If it had some surface rust when you stored it up, 9 months sat is easily enough to allow it to rot away to nothing.

I used to have old bmw's and believe me, once some rust is there, 6months is plenty enough to cause holes to appear.

Thanks Bear I have given your suggested site a shot. Also rung a couple of local garages to see if they can source cheaper than £200!

Erm, I think I have been sold a bit if a duffer Matty as the rear swing arm has been coated in finest Dulux black gloss, as has the main stand and the carburettor, and most of the frame come to think of it. I know it's gloss paint as when the engine runs it bloody stinks heavens high. It's had one owner from new (2000) and we (mechanic and I) think it has been stored outside uncovered and left to rot a bit.....

Merlin

Thanks Bear I have given your suggested site a shot. Also rung a couple of local garages to see if they can source cheaper than £200!

Erm, I think I have been sold a bit if a duffer Matty as the rear swing arm has been coated in finest Dulux black gloss, as has the main stand and the carburettor, and most of the frame come to think of it. I know it's gloss paint as when the engine runs it bloody stinks heavens high. It's had one owner from new (2000) and we (mechanic and I) think it has been stored outside uncovered and left to rot a bit.....

Merlin

air enough, that does sound like a bit of a cover up job then!

shames it's been sat for so long, bit too late to try and get anything back now. Hope you get it sussed. How bad does it appear to be, they ARE fairly thick metal, if it's a localised hole, could it be plated over? Or is the whole thing rotten?

Just as well it was spotted before you tried to ride the bike again..... :shock:

Will a swingarm off another Suzuki fit it? ie, a GN125? Just a thought.

I'm just cross that someone is willing to sell a death-trap! :evil:

According to "the bible" (aka Haynes manual) parts are interchangable between the GS, GN, GZ and DR - but I enquired on eBay about a luggage rack from a GN and the seller (a motorcyle dealer) said it wouldn't fit a GS - so now I'm a bit confused..... :?

I'm tempted to believe the Haynes though.... If the part finder site Bear kindly suggested doesn't come up with anything I might check with my mechanic. I don't want to look an eejit by taking him a part from another bike and it not fit - whatever the Haynes says - lol

Luggage rack is probably more dependant on body style so may not be interchangeable. Most of the bikes based on same base parts, tend to share engine, swingarm, suspension, electrics etc.

If there is a more common one from a different model that can be picked up for not a lot, might be worth trying to see?

Luggage rack is probably more dependant on body style so may not be interchangeable. Most of the bikes based on same base parts, tend to share engine, swingarm, suspension, electrics etc.

If there is a more common one from a different model that can be picked up for not a lot, might be worth trying to see?

:stupid:

Sounds like you've fallen foul to some serious douchebaggery.

I would trust the Haynes over an ebay posting. But be conscious of model variations between version (i.e 88 vs 98), on particular components there may be subtle differences.

Well - there's bad news and worse news. The garage has had a good look and it's going to cost circa £500 to fix - definately need a new swing arm. 2nd garage who is a mate of 1st garage said he may be able to plate it - but the whole of one side has basically disappeared so it is not viable.

I am now in the position of shelling out £500 to fix a 10 year old bike (which I have bonded with and being short does fit me, and I have spent a few bob making it "mine"). This is an original Japanese Suzuki - not a Chinese or Tiwanese version.

Garage chap wanted to sell me a Chinese Tomyoto (?) Arrow 125 for £1300. Straight away I said it was too tall (I'm not too short). He asked if I was sure (?!). Made me get on it and lo and behold I was barely on tippy toes. He said for £40 I could get the seat lowered. And "once you've bounced it down the road it'll drop another half inch". But all this will mean I still won't be able to get both feet flat on the floor like I can my Suzuki :) It's also not a very comfortable riding position....... I don't feel he was pressuring me, but this Chinese bike didn't feel right. :cry:

Rang another garage and they have a Yamaha YBR 125 2011 less than 500 miles for £1800. I have a feeling this is going to be too tall, and not a comfortable riding position (I'm 5' 2") the fuel tank looks massive.

Thing is I had major chest surgery 2 years ago and need to be sat up otherwise I get chest pain from my surigcally broken sternum. I have changed the handlebars on my Suzuki. It isn't an option on the chinese bike as the bars are in 2 bits, might be an option on the Yamaha? But I would have to put my current handlebars on, as I will be eating beans on toast for a year if I shell out that kind of dosh......

What would you do ? ::

Thanks for any advice as I'm thinking about buying a car!!!!!!

Thanks Borgy for the reminder about making sure I get the right year parts - I have nearly fallen for that before! Why they need to make small tweaks on these small bikes I don't know (if it ain't broke, don't fix it, lol!!!)

Guest Hodgy

1st don't buy a bike that's too tall or you're not comfotable with, you'll regret it.

I wouldn't spend that much on a Chinese bike regardless of size etc, it'll end up being a money pit.

If you're happy with your current bike, apart from the swing arm, getting that fixed will probably be your best and cheapest option :)

1st don't buy a bike that's too tall or you're not comfotable with, you'll regret it.

I wouldn't spend that much on a Chinese bike regardless of size etc, it'll end up being a money pit.

If you're happy with your current bike, apart from the swing arm, getting that fixed will probably be your best and cheapest option :)

Thanks Hodgy - I spent ages researching something that would fit, and adapting it since my surgery - I don't really want to start all over again......

Fixing my bike was my "gut" instinct. But now my Mum, who was freaking out before, is convinced its now a condemned death trap. I'm sure with this brand spanking new swinging arm, I aim to keep it in the garage and most likely won't ride in the worst of winter and only intend to commute a fairly short distance and 'pootle' round on it, it will be good for years to come.

I googled the Chinese bike and they are available new for £895. I don't want to do the garage out of a living, but it did seem a bit steep.

Merlin

Guest Hodgy

Thanks Hodgy - I spent ages researching something that would fit, and adapting it since my surgery - I don't really want to start all over again......

Fixing my bike was my "gut" instinct. But now my Mum, who was freaking out before, is convinced its now a condemned death trap. I'm sure with this brand spanking new swinging arm, I aim to keep it in the garage and most likely won't ride in the worst of winter and only intend to commute a fairly short distance and 'pootle' round on it, it will be good for years to come.

I googled the Chinese bike and they are available new for £895. I don't want to do the garage out of a living, but it did seem a bit steep.

Merlin

Are you not able to fit the swing arm yourself? Not a massively difficult job, but needs a few tools, it would save you quite a bit over garage labour charges I would imagine.

Yep riding in the worst of winter isn't great, either for the bike or for you, or maybe I'm just getting soft :lol:

Good luck getting it sorted, I'm sure it will be worth it when it's done

Edit: Sorry, I've just re read the whole thread and spotted you're a lady rider, so I'm guessing you probably don't have the tools etc to do it yourself, what about biking mates in that case who could give you a hand fixing it?

However much you don't want to spend a fortune on a new swingarm, it's got to be cheaper than buying a new bike, I definitely wouldn't get another one, especially if you like the one you have.

As has been said, get a swingarm, and get it fitted. I would run a mile from that garage you have been to and his 'friend' garage. Sounds like a pair of ripoff merchants to me!

Changing a swingarm is not a huge job, and shouldn't cost a fortune. There must be someone local to you that can help?

not sure what the link hodge gave is because I'm on my phone, but have a search of Google for some local bike scrap yards. I got a part from there for about a third of the price of the same part in same condition on ebay

• 1 month later...

Well - what a mammoth task that all turned out to be! The repair cost just over £435 in the end, (brand spanking new swing arm £200, pins x2 £40 each, nuts and bolts, delivery and labour). Then the guy doing the repair didn't take it for re-MOT so "sat on it" for 3 weeks, one of which he spent in the Isle of Man watching some racing! Nice MOT mechanic didn't charge for re-MOT (bless). I finally got it back tonight yippee!! :D

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow!

I do have quite a few tools but don't have a lifting table or paddock stand - once I recover from this outlay I'll purchase a lifting table I think as they are worth it - especially as I struggle to kneel down after last years accident. :lol:

We live and learn - thanks to everyone for their advice.

I have got the rotten swing arm back from the garage - it's like lace and am going to persue the fact that I was sold something unroadworthy in the first place. It'll make me feel better if nothing else!

Merlin