Bike cuts out

bluenose

Hi all, got on the bike this morning let her warm up, and she was juddering got to the junction and she cut out, started her up and again still juddering so turned around and went home. I had an oil leak about 3 weeks ago which I got sorted out I checked the oil level and its not quite max-min markings, I'm going to get some oil when the wife comes home with the car and top it up to see if that helps. The engine oil light did come on but then went off I know I sound stupid but does anyone else think the same as me and it just needs a drink of oil! I'm getting her serviced next week before the M.O.T so the air cooled system will get a clean just incase it could be that, unfortunately I'm not a very hands on type of guy when it comes to engines and things as I very dumb in that department, any help would be gratefully recieved. The bike is a Yamaha xj600n 1997.

Thanks guys and gals :D

it may sound silly but are you sure you wasnt running low on fuel and needed to go onto reserve?

Was about to say the same thing.

Maybe, fuels not getting to it properly? dirty fuel filter?

Where you experiance losses of power before it cut out, ie the throttle was properly responding! all that points me to think of a fuel flow issue.

Have you check your spark plugs?

A low oil level shouldn't cause it to run badly and cut out, unless it's REALLY low.. :shock: The oil light should come on when you turn on the ignition then go out and stay out when it is running. If it comes on when you are riding you need to stop. Oil pressure will be at its lowest when there is bugger all in the engine.

Was it running ok before you had the oil leak fixed, and what was the cause of the leak? My guess is that something is loose/disconnected from whatever work was done.

Has it been standing around for a long time before today and how warm was the engine when you set off? Could have been over/under fuelling if it wasn't properly warmed up and you closed the choke too early.

:cheers:

yep throttle was responding normal yesterday when I was out on it, had it out for over an hour. Had the choke on for 10mins to warm engine up and it didn't sound right then, when I turned the choke off it ideled for a min or two then cut out, turned it on again with choke rode it down drive and off I went but it was juddering like it was running out of petrol and it didn't feel safe to ride so came back. I've checked the oil level since and it's fine, was starting to think along the same lines as it could be something to do with the fuel line or along those lines, I was knocked off the bike couple off weeks ago and the bike was fine afterwards, I'll leave the bike till the morning and try it then maybe she's in a mood :D

I have the older version of your bike bluenose and have a similar problem, i have found that by setting the fuel tap to full on cures the problem, only thing is you must remember to turn it off when you stop.

I am still trying to get to the bottom of my problem, i thought it was the fuel tap itself that was faulty so i replaced it but that has not helped, so i think it maybe a blockage in one of the hoses or perhaps the carb.

Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Check the fuel filter and line first. If not, maybe a blockage in one of the carbs or they may need balancing. When was your last service? Does is idle ok?

Start with the simple stuff........open the filler cap and try it again....could be a blocked tank breather.. :wink: Then try plugs, etc.....as it may be just a plug breaking down. Eliminate the easy stuff first.....then consider the more radical stuff if that don't work...... 8-)