Leaking coolant... I think!

borgy95

Can i get your opinions on the below pictures:

This one is the zoomed out view, the liquid is actually a green colour and seems to be comeing from the white thingy (yes thingy is a technical term :mrgreen: )

[album]355[/album]

Here it is a bit more zoomed in it seems to be coming out of the join between the white thingy and the pipe. thouyght the white thingy has lots of small cracks so im thinking maybe one finally gave and its now slowly leaking??

[album]356[/album]

Can anyone shed any light on this? what might the temp fix be for this? loads of duct tape? -

And im assuming the perma fix replacing the white thingy?

Ultimately whats wierd is it was fine yesterday! and today it is not? nothing has happened in between! I mean i rode it pretty hard yesterday evening for about 20minutes. I did accidentally redline it changing from 1-2nd when i went into neutral mistakenly, but everything was fine after that, seemed the bike recovered from it just fine.

Jack

The White thingy is your coolant filter :)

It may or may not be knacked. First thing to try is to drain the coolant out (or pinch the hoses to stop it draining while you fiddle) and then pinch the clamps at either end, slide them down the tube and then using a twisting motion pull them free of the filter. Inspect the filter for cracks and if none found give it a good clean out, Even if it has a hairline crack it might be fixable with a dab of superglue?

Inspect the hose ends where they slide onto the filter, odds on one has a split in it. If the split is not very long you may be able to cut the split end off and still have enough slack to connect it all back up again?

the coolant filter definately has cracks in it, they just never resulted in a leak.

It appear there is a larger one these days. Running the length of it. so i have applied some superglue along the length of it. the pipes dont have any tears in them.

yes it is warmer today!

In case the glue doesnt hold, im assuming a new filter isnt exactly costly?

In case the glue doesnt hold, im assuming a new filter isnt exactly costly?

I doubt it :) I have been looking on the net for the Kawasaki part number, but I cannot find it :(

You could even just put a bit of pipe in with some joiners as a temporary fix?

In case the glue doesnt hold, im assuming a new filter isnt exactly costly?[/quote

http://www.gpzzone.co.uk/acatalog/copy_ ... cing_.html

Try this site. The filer body is £4.36 couple of pounds P&P - cheap as chips! They do the whole kit, but if you say your pipes aren't leaking, not necessary.... :D

Merlin

merlin that website is fantastic thank you. went ahead and just got mtyself a new kit. for a £10 i may as well just replace the whole thing and have it as new.

thanks,

now i've just gotta go buy myself some coolant... which means halfords trip exciting times :drool: :drool:

!

Gonna go buy my coolant later on, is there any difference between coolant used in motorbikes and that in cars? was just gonna go ahead and buy 1l of the halfords stuff?

Gonna go buy my coolant later on, is there any difference between coolant used in motorbikes and that in cars? was just gonna go ahead and buy 1l of the halfords stuff?

nope same stuff

apart from if your coolant is redish in colour get the same one from halfords

or if its blueish same as above

do not mix them they gunk up when mixed

I cant remember what the difference is between them to be honest!

mine is greenish! ahh there is always a complication!

talking of mixing the stuff... does that mean i need to wash out the piping when i drain it with water?

so i flushed the system yesterday with water got out all the coolant. (hose in the radiator feeder pipe, drain bolt unscrewed)

Topped it up today. accidentally put too much in. a good inch above the full one but still with air at the top and not high enough to get in the feedback pipe at the top of the resivoir.

Cos i had to get to work i drove anyway. buit didnt get far as i noticed the engine go right upto max temp quickly. so i turned back. On the way back i noticed it dropping slightly :?

Gonna take the car as a precaution.

What miht be causing this?

1 could it be too much water left in the system after in fluched it and now its not cooling properly? and/or too much coolant in the resivoir means its not going through properly? a quick glance at the filter and the coolant does look distinctly water like :? :? :?

any help would be much appreciated.

Water is better at cooling than coolant is, so not too much water. More likely you had a small airlock where the temp sender is. Where did you fill it from? The expansion tank (right hand side) or the radiator cap (left hand side)?

Guest Hodgy

I would imagine there's an air lock somewhere, is there an air bleed screw or bolt at the highest point? On my Triumph it's on the thermostat housing, you remove this before filling so all the air comes out.

Check the water level now, you may find it's dropped and needs topping up if the air has been pushed out :thumb:

Water is better at cooling than coolant is, so not too much water. More likely you had a small airlock where the temp sender is. Where did you fill it from? The expansion tank (right hand side) or the radiator cap (left hand side)?

The haynes told me to do it from the radiator filler pipe. Now i may have gone off book a little while doing this :oops: :oops: Couldn't quite identify this 'radiator filler pipe, so i just detached the one coming off the thermostat and into the radiator.

then shoved a hose pipe in and opened the tap. creating a glorious fountain!!! with about four exits :oops: :oops:

:oops: I had my coolant filter connections open, and the drain bolt unscrewed and reservoir detached. Realised this, then closed up the coolant filter, kept hosing a bit more then reattached all the piping (including the reservoir at this point, figure i didnt want to fill it with water.) and then drain bolt.

So having air trapped is very likely the case... Mr haynes manual says there is a pressure release cap on the thermostat, could be that.

Ill give the air release thing a go next. just gotta get out of work first...

The haynes told me to do it from the radiator filler pipe. Now i may have gone off book a little while doing this :oops: :oops: Couldn't quite identify this 'radiator filler pipe, so i just detached the one coming off the thermostat and into the radiator.

The radiator filler cap is the way to do it, fill it up there and then top up the expansion tank afterwards. Odds are, if you pop the rad cap off it will need a little top up and a run, it will then probably be fine.

You should have got about 1.8 litres of coolant in?

You did not take pipes off to fill it did you? You just need to take the infill panels off from the sides of the fairing and you can see the rad cap and the expansion tank cap.

You did not take pipes off to fill it did you? You just need to take the infill panels off from the sides of the fairing and you can see the rad cap and the expansion tank cap.

No only to flush it, the exit pipe of the thermostat that leads to the fan. then i thought you filled it from the reservoir... kinda misunderstood the Haynes there. :oops:

I swear i didnt see the radiator ca. i even took off the front fairing! found this diagram for a 600r is it similar for the 500s?

if so im gonna slap myself for not noticing it! http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/Omega25/GPZ600R/cooling1.jpg

Similar, but on the other side :)

At least on my A model.

then i thought you filled it from the reservoir... kinda misunderstood the Haynes there. :oops:

Possibly not. Even the owners manual says to fill it from the expansion bottle, which is great if you want a full expansion bottle and a half empty cooling system.

Right filled it from the proper place and low and behold i used almost exactly 1.8liters coolant!

everything is working like a charm, and what a lovely sunny day to be testing it :D