No luck with instructors...

Guest Savanna1702

I gained a Diploma in Motorcycle Instruction in May. Cost a fair amount in lost wages, hotels and the course cost but well worth it - even if only being able to put DipMI after my name :D

Hey that is excellent, well done you :D I wish more people would do the same.

One of the instructors where I went suggested I just stick to 125s so I didn't have him for my training. Although I about wanted to kill the guy I did use by the end it was such an idiot. But hey you just smile sweetly and remember once you've passed you never need to see them again :D

my cbt trainer was a nightmare !

he was screaming at lads for taking their hands off the bars when the bikes were stationary and not even running, his bad attitude caused some guys to make mistakes which they wouldn't of if they were more relaxed without him shouting down their ear :roll:

i suppose some trainers just don't have the people skills to do the job,i never went back there after that day and done my mod1 and mod2 with a different school and passed yesterday :D

as for locking the bars at junctions I've never even heard of it :oops: , maybe its a old teaching method :?: i started the process of getting riding a bike hat the end may this year with my cbt ,and then das and haven't once been told anything about locking bars at junctions :oops:

No instructor should shout ant any one, good advice should be given calmly.

I was lucky had a great bike instructor, who was calm and confident.

If I was screamed like that I would stop the bike, get off give them the keys back and walk away.

No instructor should shout ant any one, good advice should be given calmly.

I was lucky had a great bike instructor, who was calm and confident.

If I was screamed like that I would stop the bike, get off give them the keys back and walk away.

Depending on what was being shouted, the keys may end up in the nearest bramble and nettle filled ditch :)

I have had the worst luck finding a bike instructor. :( I was going to A1 motorbike school in Gateshead who were good, I passed my mod 1 with them but they stopped doing evening lessons (which is the only time i had free for it). So i moved to another school (which shall remain nameless!) the guys are total pr!cks there. They overtake me doing wheelies to show off, give minimal instruction when we're out and charge me for a 2 hour slot when I was only actually out for an hour and 20 minutes. :x

I decided i want to sit my test in Aberdeen instead as I'm much more familiar with the roads there (having only lived in Newcastle for a year) so I had a couple of lesson last weekend with a recommended bike instructor in Aberdeen. The lesson on Saturday was brilliant - i learned SO much that i'd never been told in all my time down here. But the lesson on sunday was a complete disaster.... :cry: I was out with an older man (the most arrogant, rude horrible man ive ever met) and as well as a series of minor mistakes, he made a couple of serious mistakes (pulling out at a roundabout on front of a car so it had to stop, and stopping dead in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway for no reason with cars all around him blasting their horns) the instructor had the biggest row with him, he argued back & they had the worst screaming match at the side of the road. Wound up, the instructor then put me in the lead instead and took all his frustration out on me....

He was picking me up for EVERYTHING -I couldnt win - I wasnt speeding up quick enough after roundabouts, then i was speeding up too quick.....I was too close to parked cars, then too far from parked cars.....there are just too many examples to write down - but because he got me so upset, i started making more silly mistakes like stalling. When we got back - he ripped me apart but said nothing to the old guy. What made it worse was that my boyfriend was there to pick me up and heard it all. I was almost in tears, I've never been shouted at/sworn at or ripped apart like that before. And the thing is - I'm not bad on a bike, it was so unjustified. Ive never dropped a bike, ive never done anything dangerous or made any silly mistakes - i love riding and i want to be a good rider more than anything

Nothing was said to the old guy and his mistakes were a million times worse than my minor ones. I feel like its totally set me back for my test which is NEXT WEEK :shock: I now dont feel ready or confident. I was contemplating just giving up completely, I was so upset. :crybaby:

I've just had no luck with instructors. And because ive chopped and changed, ive missed out on a lot of instruction and had to teach myself everything. I had never done an angle start before (didnt even know it was possible) and the instructor at the weekend went MENTAL at me for not locking my handle bars at a juntion. :(

Anyway, rant over. I'll try and put that behind me and sit my test although i am dreading it now. :(

Try NRT in Lemington, Smartbiker in Morpeth northumberland or Bikestart in cramlington Northumberland.

I changed training schools half way through as I got fed up with instructors. But I found each school had its good and bad ones, so asked for the good ones and refused to take lessons with the bad ones.

The bad ones were the arrogant, seen it all, know it all shouters.

I changed training schools half way through as I got fed up with instructors. But I found each school had its good and bad ones, so asked for the good ones and refused to take lessons with the bad ones.

Its funny how you dont seem to get that bad attitude with driving instructors?

Its funny how you dont seem to get that bad attitude with driving instructors?

Because the process they go through is far more demanding than that for a DAS instructor. You could become a full DAS instructor having completed no formal training, as long as you pass both Cardington assesments.

YES!! I remember reading online somewhere that you never pull away with your bars locked, always move them while you're moving and my lesson tonight I told "Mr Wheelie" (bad instructor #2!) that I needed to practice an "angled start" as I'd been shouted at to do one and wasn't very comfortable doing it, he looked at me like I was mad and said theres no way hes teaching that because you dont do that....confused....?!! My brain hurts... :hammer:

And as for the effect that "Mr Shouty" has had on me - tonights lesson was awful, I've totally lost confidence in my ability and was shaky, kept forgetting lifesavers and I just felt like I was all over the place. :(

Have you taken your test yet? I know it's late in the day but I think you'd be better off without this instructor - there most certainly is an 'angled start' in Mod 2. I don't know where he is coming from, just sounds like he's bullying you :?: . Anyway if you have taken it I hope it's good news, and if not, best of luck :wink:

Have you taken your test yet? I know it's late in the day but I think you'd be better off without this instructor - there most certainly is an 'angled start' in Mod 2. I don't know where he is coming from, just sounds like he's bullying you :?: . Anyway if you have taken it I hope it's good news, and if not, best of luck :wink:

My test is...tomorrow... :shock:

I'm getting a shot of a 125cc tonight to go about town on my own so I'm hoping by the end of that I'll feel a bit more comfortable....and wont 'take off' when I jump back on the 600cc tomorrow at the test centre...!! haha!! :oops:

You will do fine savanna, You will obviously be nervous, but thats not a bad thing. There are no pass or fail targets like people seem to think, if you do well you will pass, if not you will fail, but its down to you. Which is the best thing about it. Try and get the sturn faced examiner, there face might look like my arse, best out of sight but, there generally the most proffessional ones. I think you will pass, you know what your talking about on here, and you have it there in your head. You will do good!

You will do fine savanna, You will obviously be nervous, but thats not a bad thing. There are no pass or fail targets like people seem to think, if you do well you will pass, if not you will fail, but its down to you. Which is the best thing about it. Try and get the sturn faced examiner, there face might look like my arse, best out of sight but, there generally the most proffessional ones. I think you will pass, you know what your talking about on here, and you have it there in your head. You will do good!

Aw, thank you so much for those kind words! :thumb:

I'll let you guys know how it goes either way...

I didn't use a school and taught myself (Kind of glad after reading this)

However in defence of a Riding instructor while waiting to do my mod 1 an instructor waiting for his pupil to finish gave me 20 minutes of Tips for my Mod one and I wasn't even paying him !

That shows there are really good instructors out there who really enjoy their work !!

Aw guys, I failed...

I was lent a bike the evening before my test to spin about on, which was great fun! Did some country roads & practiced leaning etc. Was feeling confident! The morning of my test I had to ride that bike to the test centre, but somehow ran late. My boyfriend was ahead on his bike, I was behind trying to keep up & took a corner too fast (in the countryside) I can't even remember what happened but ended up in a wall with the bike on top of me! :-(

I just had to get right back up & head to my test...it was awful!! The handle bars were squint & my leg was throbbing!!

So anyway, I felt a bit doomed for my test at that point. I couldn't tell the instructor what had happened.

In my test itself I was just dithery - I forgot to cancel my indicators (which I've never done before - even in my cbt) but he failed me for stalling on a roundabout...which of course was the busiest roundabout with the biggest most dramatic stall I've ever done...mortifying!! Thinking back I must have been in second or third gear, again something I've never done before!

So it was just unfortunate, but all ok. Just my ego that's a bit dented (and my leg a bit bruised!)