Running issues

argentum40

Lads i wonder if any of you smart lot can point me in the right direction here.. Basically i have a 2 stroke twin and when engine is cold and choke is on it idles and pulls fine from a standstill.. Once warmed up it bogs down relaly badly and wont idle at all...I have checked all the usual stuff like plugs and air filter etc and also checked the inlet rubber in case its split but all seems fine..

Could it be an air leak, a weak spark on one of the cylinders as it sounds like it could be dropping to one cylinder before it stalls or something else?

then crankseal on that side of the engine should be ok it could be the other side or have you done compression check on it to make sure it hasnt lost any?and have you checked for air leaks by spraying some easy start/wd40 or anything like it to see if revs increase?

What's it do if you put it on choke when its warm?? Does that stop the stall??

Sounds like you need to get the carb off and give all the little jets a good blow out.

What engine is it anyway?? Does it have reed valves?? If they wear out and not close properly you get similar problems..

EAB it could be leaking at the clutch side but i cant spray that side with engine running.. i have tried around the head, base gasket, inlet rubber etc and made no difference to revs at all..

the carb has brand new jets in it and it has been cleaned so many times its beyond a joke... it doesnt have reeds at all it just has the carb then inlet rubber onto the head.. choke on when its warm kills the engine straight away..

i assume you have checked mixtures and that both carbs are set the same then next its compression check to see if one cylinder is a lot lower than the other

its a single carb mate and as the other cylinder is fine i wouldn tthink it would be a carb issue... could points or condensor cause it as it has a set for each cylinder

yes it could be a set of points burning out normally the condensor will either work or it wont they dont often become intermitantly faulty other thing to do is give it a blast then while still hot carefully remove the plugs to do colour check on them see if they show up as being different colours from each other

yes it could be a set of points burning out normally the condensor will either work or it wont they dont often become intermitantly faulty other thing to do is give it a blast then while still hot carefully remove the plugs to do colour check on them see if they show up as being different colours from each other

i did that the other day EAB and they are both the same colour.. a kinda of dark caramel colour...

Doesnt sound like an electrical problem to me - if its fine when its cold and on choke, then starts playing up when its warm and off choke...

Just an idea - its getting enough oil right? i mean its not partially seizing up when it gets warm?

no its not nippin when warm mate,,.,. once the revs are up it goes like the clappers... as the revs drop it sounds like its dropping to one cylinder but that of course is just a guess... it may just be very weak on the poor cylinder

right this is what i have checked today.... swapped coils over and plugs which made no difference.... Took head off what i thought was the poor cylinder and checked gasket, gave it a decoke while i was i there... no difference... carb and inlet rubber off again and after a thorough check of both and a clean of the carb again... no difference...

finally i checked the compression on what i think is the bad cylinder and it has tons of compression for a 2 stroke... so back to square one again :(