dodgy clutch?

stewslash

hi ladies and gentlemen , i have a 2001 600 bandit s, and when stopped at lights in neutral when i pull in the clutch and knock it into first the bike jerks forward a touch :|

i have about 10 -15mm of play in the clutch leaver as per the manual, but as the bike gets warmer the jerk forward gets more severe, and sometimes is hard getting into first at all when i am coming to a stop at a set of lights

any thoughts on what my problem could be?? :cheers:

i just got the bike last week i can't recall the last oil change, on you guys advise i think i will just change the oil and filter over the weekend and see if that helps things at all !

as this is my first big bike my knowledge of them isn't so good , my only other mechanical experience with bike engines was on a yamaha banshee quad i had a few years back so it all a learning process at the moment :D

to be honest the clunk wasn't so much of a problem its the trouble i am having getting into gears once the bike is fully warmed up that concerns me :cry:

well i changed the oil and filter today took it for a ride and its still the same :(

when its warmed up it doesn't seem to be dragging i can still roll bike forward and backward with 1st engaged and clutch in

any other suggestions ?

You said "I have about 10 -15mm of play in the clutch leaver as per the manual" . Is this at the end of the lever? Clearance should be 3mm where the lever pivots away from the perch, near the end of the cable outer sheath.

You said "I have about 10 -15mm of play in the clutch leaver as per the manual" . Is this at the end of the lever? Clearance should be 3mm where the lever pivots away from the perch, near the end of the cable outer sheath.

its at the end of the leaver mate, just wondering air a new clutch might help :?:

Check your oil level carefully.....too much oil can cause the clutch to drag. Had this problem on my Sprint......took some oil out and got it in the middle of the marks on the dipstick and it was fine after that.

thanks guys i think I've sorted it :)

i slackened the cable off and adjusted the clutch at the sprocket cover on the ( sort of cam device that engages the clutch) anyhoos it seems to have fixed the problem thanks again :)