Need to adjust my chain BUT...

Guest JayM

My chain is rather slack and when I went to adjust it, it looks like the previous owner had the same idea as me, and found it too difficult... the nut that holds the back wheel on has been rounded off and im finding it impossible to remove, what can I do? I could probably do with a rear tyre soon too so will need this sorting!

I can't believe thats two things I've said that are sensible this year in the pitstop section...........Must try harder !

I HATE ALL THINGS TO DO WITH BIKE MECHANICS

I HATE ALL THINGS TO DO WITH BIKE MECHANICS......

My chain is rather slack and when I went to adjust it, it looks like the previous owner had the same idea as me, and found it too difficult... the nut that holds the back wheel on has been rounded off and im finding it impossible to remove, what can I do? I could probably do with a rear tyre soon too so will need this sorting!

If you want to do the job yourself, the first thing I would try is to get the next smallest size socket than fits and tap in on with a hammer until you can get it to bite (at the same time you might try something like liquid wrench or wd40, if necessary, along with trying to heat up the nut with a small handheld blowtorch).

If that doesn't work, you can buy special sockets (called "bolt grippers" in the US, not sure here) for removing rounded nuts that bite into the rounded edges.

Last, you can try splitting the nut off (you'll want to replace it anyway) with a bolt splitter.

Good luck!

ive had a few trouble some axle nuts before and i find a pair of water pump pliers does the trick

or a set of stilsons pipe wrench the more you pull on these the tighter they grip :wink:

http://www.chertseytoolhire.co.uk/images/Stilsons.jpg

Stu's idea is best if you've got the tools, another alternative would be to file a couple of flat surface's on the nut and find a spanner that'll fit.

Personally if was me though, I'd do as Drewster does, let someone else have the hassle, especially if you need a new tyre anyway.

If you want to do the job yourself, the first thing I would try is to get the next smallest size socket than fits and tap in on with a hammer until you can get it to bite (at the same time you might try something like liquid wrench or wd40, if necessary, along with trying to heat up the nut with a small handheld blowtorch).

If that doesn't work, you can buy special sockets (called "bolt grippers" in the US, not sure here) for removing rounded nuts that bite into the rounded edges.

Last, you can try splitting the nut off (you'll want to replace it anyway) with a bolt splitter.

Good luck!

Hmm, I did try the smaller socket thing but no luck there, Think im going to have to take it to a garage and get them to change the tyre, and not mention the dodgy nut :X: :roll: and see how they get on.

ive had a few trouble some axle nuts before and i find a pair of water pump pliers does the trick

or a set of stilsons pipe wrench the more you pull on these the tighter they grip :wink:

http://www.chertseytoolhire.co.uk/images/Stilsons.jpg

They are too bulky to get into the gap, i've tried an adjustable spanner on it sideways with a metal bar through the hole in the spanner to spin it, the method worked, but it just wouldn't budge! Put tons of WD40 on it over the past few days but still no joy!

Have you checked its not a left hand thread. You will know if the nut has a line machined around it.

Haha il go and check now, il go mad if it is :lol:

Edit: Not sure but I was turning it the right way anyway.

Righty tighty, lefty loosey!

Why didn't anyone teach me that when I was a kid, bloody struggled all my life :cry:

Part of being diplexic apparently :roll:

Did they have nuts and bolts then in Africa ???