Jacket sizing

Apologies, as this may be a well and truly stupid question, but after helmet and gloves, my next priority is to buy a jacket. With the 'job' of the jacket and its general importance to my overall safety, I obviously want a good-fitting one. Generally I'm around a size 12; should I expect a size 12 motorcycle jacket to fit me correctly, or should I be sizing up/down? I'm probably going to need to buy from an online retailer, as there only seem to be about 4 shops in Hull selling, and the prices are well and truly beyond what I can afford right now (if anyone knows a cheap store locally please let me know!), and I don't want the hassle and expense of having to keep returning them. There's also the issue that a few online retailers don't distinguish between mens and womens jackets, making the choice that much harder. Any advice for a completely novice rider would be extremely greatfully received! Thanks, Kirsty :)

I'm a size 12 and have found that size 12 jackets generally fit :)

Obviously better if you can try buy before you buy, but also know that dealers don't often have much in teh way of ladies clothing! (might be worth trying some on even if they are out of budget- just to give you an idea of how different brands fit you) If you have a J&S anywhere near you they usually have a good range of ladies clothing.

Have a look on ebay, you can often find used stuff in really good nick for cheaps :)

Hi! Thanks very much!! Have been having a look at pricing, style and what type of protection's available (very few have back armour, I'm noticing!) on Amazon and eBay, but being nervous of getting the wrong size really held me back on serious hunting :? After reading the post about jeans wearing through in something like 0.2 seconds I'm thinking I'm going to need something with trousers that attach, too, so feel that may up my price bracket!! Eek! Will keep an eye out on eBay for size 12's though in any case!! Thanks very much! :D

RST comes with good back armour, but e.g. Halversons don't I think, the theory being they think you'd be better off buying a decent protector like a forcefield.

Also Just because it comes with armour doesn't mean it will be good, looking at what my wolf leathers came with compared to even a cheap £15 protector is a world of difference; although i crashed fine in them with no complaints that it didn't do it's job.

If your getting a first jacket don't buy a leather one you will get soaked in the rain. Get one of the waterproof ones, make sure its a proper good quality jacked with strong seams. Remember you have to dress to fall off. Also remember you need to allow for different garments you may or may not wear underneath so adjustable is another good idea. make sure it has back ,elbow and shoulder protection. Better to wait and get a good one than a cheap one that will rip to bits if you come off. Whilst your at it also get a hi viz top.

I find sizing is completely random!! :lol:

You can try one size of one make of clothing & would need a completely different size in another make. :roll: I'm pretty sure that I've never managed to find bike clothing that fits that is the same size as my normal clothes size!

Try stuff on it the shops, find a brand that fits you well then look online for that make/size & hopefully you'll find it cheaper. :)

Ahh wow, thank you all for your help!! I'll definitely be taking notice of all that you're saying when making my decision! Have already been looking more towards jackets with fluorescent parts, particularly on the back, think that's probably more important than some daft picture in the real world, particularly for a starter rider! And I guess finding a decent jacket then Googling it makes a lot of sense - probably the reason that I never thought of that :lol: ! Thanks again, I really do appreciate any and all help!

You're welcome - that's what we're here for :lol:

Thing is, I could be a size 12 (I wish! :( ) and so could you, yet completely different shapes. Ladies bike gear tends not to take this into consideration :roll:

Manufacturers are getting a bit more wise to the fact that us ladies DO ride bikes & not just pillion, but there still isn't a great choice of stuff around!

get yourself off to a bike show, they often have trade stands selling well below the normal retail price, and you can try stuff on as much as you like.i have a couple of brand new pairs of leather trousers to sell, but as theyre a 6 they wouldnt be much use im afraid

Ooh that sounds like a good idea - but how do I find out where/when they are? Are they advertised anywhere that I can have a look? Thank you :)

I also found sizing has been very variable. I would say buy one size too big. In the warm it is nice having some air about out you as you can have the cuffs loose so air gets down the sleeves. Then when it is clod there is space to put on layers.

As for armour, RST are doing really good back and hip upgrade armour The Contour Plus, which is about £10 for either, £20 for the two. I bought it for my demins and it fits like a glove.

I also found sizing has been very variable. I would say buy one size too big. In the warm it is nice having some air about out you as you can have the cuffs loose so air gets down the sleeves. Then when it is clod there is space to put on layers.

As for armour, RST are doing really good back and hip upgrade armour The Contour Plus, which is about £10 for either, £20 for the two. I bought it for my demins and it fits like a glove.

Talking about air about you in the warm, i just bought the RST adventure Pro-series and it's phenomenal the amount of airflow those chest panels give.

Hi Colin the Bear, thank you! Was unsure whether there were specific sites that I needed to look at, so knowing to just Google it is really helpful, thanks :)

Does a jacket stating that it's windproof mean much, then, if you're talking about layering up underneath? Obviously I don't want to be cold and so layering up's all go, need be, but at the same time I don't want to turn up for a day teaching kids dripping with sweat :/ Should I avoid anything that says windproof or is it only a partial help?

I Googled RST and looked at the jackets - the one with the hi-vis all over it is actually the one I've seen over a few sites that had caught my eye, so will see if I can manage to get one of those if it's a good brand, thanks :)

Have read about the jackets having zips to attach them to pants, and having read the first moderater-written post on here I can see why that's a good thing - do all zips fit all pants, or do you need to buy a set/the same overall brand?

Massive thanks to everyone who is replying to this! So, so reassuring to have this assistance and know where to put my money for the best use!!!

Hi Colin the Bear, thank you! Was unsure whether there were specific sites that I needed to look at, so knowing to just Google it is really helpful, thanks :)

Does a jacket stating that it's windproof mean much, then, if you're talking about layering up underneath? Obviously I don't want to be cold and so layering up's all go, need be, but at the same time I don't want to turn up for a day teaching kids dripping with sweat :/ Should I avoid anything that says windproof or is it only a partial help?

I Googled RST and looked at the jackets - the one with the hi-vis all over it is actually the one I've seen over a few sites that had caught my eye, so will see if I can manage to get one of those if it's a good brand, thanks :)

Have read about the jackets having zips to attach them to pants, and having read the first moderater-written post on here I can see why that's a good thing - do all zips fit all pants, or do you need to buy a set/the same overall brand?

Massive thanks to everyone who is replying to this! So, so reassuring to have this assistance and know where to put my money for the best use!!!

You'd hope they do but no. I've not got much experience with different kit, but Held & Halvarsons/Jafoma only fits itself, RST I think fits with Wolf in some cases, (Although in administration at the moment) Hein Gericke seems to fit with itself but they have crotch straps on many jackets which mean you don't need to zip up.

I can see why they do it - in case you only need to replace e.g. the trousers you are locked in.

If the Hi-viz RST is the Paragon 3 then it's the one Gayle's just bought and seems really good value for money.

Ian, the Paragon II has been replaced with the III, mine is this one, It has a separate waterproof liner which helps stop some wind getting through but also means you can have the vents open and not get wet. I have found however that you need to be careful making sure you get your gloves under the liner or you'll have wet hands.

I would recommend a waterproof textile jacket with a removable liner so that you can adapt it to different conditions. Same with trousers (quilted removable liners). If you are going to do a fair bit of slow town riding then bike gear can get pretty warm.

Zips are fairly universal although I've have a few that are slightly different lengths - still work to zip together though.

Hi Fast Eddie, I looked on that site that you linked to as well, but the jacket on there was about £80 more expensive, with a lot less hi-vis patches on it, so hopefully I'll be able to get the cheaper one and it'll be almost as decent :)

Yep, there will be a lot of local driving, expect the most I'll do is perhaps up to Hessle or Beverley, meaning bursts of 40mph for maybe 5-10minute periods, longest rides would probably be maybe 30-40min... Ahh, so much to consider!!

Or there's the BMF Tail End show at Peterborough 15th & 16th of September where you can usually pick up bike gear pretty cheap. Bit of a hike from Hull.......but if you're gonna try to get kitted out with bike gear this would be the place..... 8-)

Hi Tango :) Yes, that might be a bit far, but we shall see how funds are going, etc, and will definitely bear it in mind! Thank you :)

Some makes of jackets will fit other makes of trousers but some won't!! (Not helpful is it??!!)

However most manufacturers give you the other side of the zip as well, if you know what I mean. So should you have to choose different manufacturers to get the right fit, you can have the matching zip put in by someone who does alterations.

I would also recommend buying some waterproof over trousers and maybe over top. Not all textiles that claim to be waterproof actually are, as I recently learnt!! Trousers are usually more affected as the water runs off the tank into your lap! :evil:

You don't want to arrive at work with a damp crotch!!! :lol:

ahh, yes I do know what you mean, and that's pretty useful then! Clearly some companies are very lovely and nice! :love: And no, wet crotch doesn't sound appealing! Already preparing myself (mentally) for walking like a cowboy for a while, wet patch is not going to aid my acceptance into the school! Thank you!!