Thank god for Sky News and Life on Mars

polecat

I am wondering if for the last few weeks World News just Stopped for the Yawnolympics ?

BBC state : todays top story is some bloke from Jamaica ran 100m really fast

Sky news top story is : Man landed a craft the size of a car on Mars which has a science lab built in and took over a year to get there and had to be lowered onto the planet with a jet powered Sky crane !

Or a man ran fast for 100m ?

Think how many people worked for over a decade to get that ship up there and what an achievment it is for mankind :!:

Maby its just me being weird but the lack of quality News, that does not use the word "Sport" must be a golden opportunity for the government to bring out some really unpleasant legislation ?

The olympics are one of the best things to happen to the uk since we won the falklands.

The first time since 1982 when the whole country has been together without Religion, race or any other crap getting in the way.

For once we are putting British success first and enjoying it

Well the biggest story in great Britain is the Olympics and the bbc has all the rights to it and its only on for 2 weeks so give them a bit of a break, As for the mars landing the bbc did report it maybe not as big and bright as sky, It makes a change to listening to rooney did this , Carroll sold for that and the rest of the football tosh they put on and which will be returning in the coming weeks , So for now just enjoy the games dude dont worry about the aliens , "The chances of anything coming from mars is a million to one they say " :lol:

The olympics are one of the best things to happen to the uk since we won the falklands.

The first time since 1982 when the whole country has been together without Religion, race or any other crap getting in the way.

:stupid:

I never watch the news or read papers (apart from the horse racing section on saturdays) anyway...far to damn depressing. Some call it being just ignorant... I call it being HAPPILY ignorant. :D

the other plus point about the mars landing???

the british tax payer isnt having to pay for it over the next 25 years.. :roll:

as much as i have enjoyed watchin womens beach volleyball, it still would have looked good on TV if it was coming from any another country.

Are you really comparing the "biggest sporting event in the world" to two countries squabbling over a wee island ?

careful now owen. you wouldnt want people assuming that you think a few folks running/pedaling fast is even remotley comparable to british troops dying in battle??

i dont dislike the olympics. i just dislike paying for it. especially when hardly anyone outside london is receiving the benefits of the £800000000 that we have spent on it.

i watch it on the TV and this olympics looks the same as last one and will look just the same when it comes from Rio. although i presume that the BBC wont be so fanatical about covering every second of it.

Without getting too deep Ratser (and not wanting to start a huge debate), I doubt very much the islanders regard THEIR home and their sovreignty as WEE. My cousin was there on HMS Brilliant and I`d have gone too if necessary.

Dave is pointing out that not since then has ourselves, as a country, been so united, and I tend to agree with that prognosis. Better the Olympics to do this than a war.

Nuff said, I`ll not go off topic anymore.

i dont dislike the olympics. i just dislike paying for it. especially when hardly anyone outside london is receiving the benefits

The cost for the Games themselves is privately funded but the cost for all the buildings (Which are being re used, venues and infrastructure is met by public money.

Events such as the Olympics often generate economic benefits at a larger scale than the local or regional through infrastructure improvements and inward investment. This is called the multiplier effect. Tourism throughout the UK and construction industries are set to benefit in the short and long term respectively. After the Games, four arenas, three 50m swimming pools and the water polo pools will be disassembled and rebuilt in other parts of the UK. All the sports equipment used will also be donated to UK sports clubs and charities.

We should be proud of our athletes and what they have achieved and how Britain as a country have put on a great sports event, I would rather pay for these than pay for a war.

i am proud of our athletes. just as i was in beijing..

personally, i think that nurses, soldiers, sailors and airman are more important things to spend tax money on than dismantlable swimming pools and utterly pointless sculptures.

its true that jess ennis is awsome at javelin but i boubt it'll be much use thowing it at the enemy the next time our overstretched and underfunded armed forces are called upon.

each to thier own i suppose

i am proud of our athletes. just as i was in beijing..

personally, i think that nurses, soldiers, sailors and airman are more important things to spend tax money on than dismantlable swimming pools and utterly pointless sculptures.

its true that jess ennis is awsome at javelin but i boubt it'll be much use thowing it at the enemy the next time our overstretched and underfunded armed forces are called upon.

each to thier own i suppose

Yes i understand what your saying there are better things to spend money on but if we didn't host the Olympics do you think any of that money would have seen its way to the nurses and soldiers etc. lol.

The government screw us and then when we think were all right they screw us again the trouble with England is it knows how to fight in other countries but at home we don't stand up and fight to the corrupt government,banks etc. . We just sit and moan and just get SCREWED lol

and when they screw us it stings as there is no money to buy lube :shock:

the biggest slap in the faces of the HM forces was having to work the olympics after being told that the country is too skint to properly fund us. G4S' shambolic attempt at security made it even worse as even more of us had to pick up the slack. those left behind are working harder to fill the gaps left by those gainfully employed on carparking duties etc.

and to answer your question. no. i dont think any of the money would have been spent on defence or nursing etc. but its nice think that it could have..

It said on the BBC this morning (and they never lie)

This country will loose visiters for the next 3 years just like sydney did after their Olympics :violin:

I don't want people not to enjoy the Olympics if that is their thing, but its Not My thing and I would like the BBC (which I help pay for) to realise that we Dont ALL buy into the Olympic HYPE and would like to watch something more interesting.

BBC have so many channels why didn't they just use BBC4 and BBC2 for Olympics and BBC1 for the rest of us Killjoys :oops:

but after the olympics we will just go back to "OMG K-stew broke up with whatever bloke she was shagging this week, FAMILIES DEVASTATED". oh also, 20 died in landslide this morning.

Peoples priorities have been off track for a long time.

The supposed tourism boost is nonsense. It's the same nonsense argument for retail losses due to bank holidays; What you don't spend today you can spend tomorrow, and vice versa.

Boosting the economy from all the construction, etc, is nonsense too. It's the broken window fallacy in action.

The Olympics is a corporate fundraising event, and the local traders who are dealing with olympic brand police coercion will attest as much.

Considering that we're over £1 trillion in debt (excluding pensions, etc) it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Perhaps it might raise the profile of the country to encourage foreign investment, although I think they could have done more to make it less exclusively London focused.

I personally find the whole thing disgusting. It's a strong word I know. If the only times people can muster some kind of human spirit is in the name of nationalistic pride (an evil thing, as are all forms of collectivism), then perhaps the majority deserve the misery that is coming. Considering every penny you pay in taxes goes to pay a growing national debt, then selling your children into debt-slavery, to the tune of an extra £15 billion or so, so that you can have a party to celebrate our collective idiocy seems a particularly evil (another appropriately strong word) thing.

Yay! go team GB! :bang: