Brake shudder

Nogin

Since I replaced my my pads on my CBR (4 months ago) I've noticed a bit of vibration when I brake hard or brake while at speed.

Correct me if I'm wrong bit I suspect that my discs are as old as the bike and worn, however they are not warped. I'm thinking that the new pads are causing the shudder for some reason. They are well bedded in. At slow speed no probs but at high speed it's a bit shakey!

Oh this brings me to the cost of new discs... How bloody much!!!!! I cheapest so far £275 inc pads!!! Gees it's mad.

are you absolutely sure this was not the case before? How many miles have you done with the new pads?

i am thinking that if the pads are new, give them some time (miles) to work with your discs. if you still see the change in behaviour than yeah, disks are the first suspects. Obviously if the road surface has not regressed significantly. i assume tyre pressure is ok

When i first put the pads in about 1500 miles ago, they vibrated like hell, but now about 80% of that went, very quickly after about 100 miles.

I'm pretty sure they were not that bad before the new pads however it could be I never really noticed it.

I rode my mates RR the other day and his brakes felt a shed load better. I appreciate they are better then my old F's brakes but there is a most definate brake vibration when stopping at speed.

well, i'd go for new disks in this case. But you say it is not that bad, so i think they can live on your bike for some time. Obviously depends on how often you have to brake on high speeds

Well that the dilemma, I'm thinking of trading her in anyway so if I do there is no way ill be spanding £300 on new parts. I guess its another reason to move on.

First off, have you put on mega hard sintered pads? I did and they were horrible.

My bike mechanic friend told me to take em straight off and put standard EBC ones on. He reckons unless you're on a track the extra hard pads are way overkill for most bikes and are very hard on discs too.

Try just changing pads and see if it helps, it's quite a cheap fix if it is that!

I have changed mine but am off the bike till I lose the cast, so can't give a definite opinion yet. I had cheapie gold fren carbon sintered things that were given to me with the bike and they were awful, didn't even work unless you were on the brakes all the time to keep them hot.

First off, have you put on mega hard sintered pads? I did and they were horrible.

My bike mechanic friend told me to take em straight off and put standard EBC ones on. He reckons unless you're on a track the extra hard pads are way overkill for most bikes and are very hard on discs too.

Try just changing pads and see if it helps, it's quite a cheap fix if it is that!

I have changed mine but am off the bike till I lose the cast, so can't give a definite opinion yet. I had cheapie gold fren carbon sintered things that were given to me with the bike and they were awful, didn't even work unless you were on the brakes all the time to keep them hot.

well that's a reasonable suggestion but on the other hand the new pads might just hide the main issue with disks. But anyway, its worth trying. However i personally would ignore the issue if the vibration is not too horrible :cheers:

The pads are origional Honda ones, but I did wonder if they were sintered and this may be the problem. Its a cheaper option I may give it a go.

I think the Discs are pretty much dead but it will all depend on if I keep the bike or trade it in.

You could always remove the disks and check them out. I know they're a pain to get off, but it may save you spending £300. Put them on a mirror or something else very flat and check they haven't warped. Measure the wear on them with a steel rule or better still, a measuring caliper and check them with the wear specs in the manual. Maybe that your pistons aren't sitting properly from when you changed the pads. All are cheap checks.

Have you got floating brake discs? I had a similar problem when i changed my pads which turned out to be partly down to a sticking piston (the previous owner had evidently had problems and rather than overhaul the calipers he just took the dust seals out!) and partly down to the rivets holding the discs to the rotors being gummed up with crap and stopping them floating. If you can get a bolt on the inside of the rivet (if it's a hollow rivet) tighten a nut on to it and give it a few turns and watch the crap come pouring out of it.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/mastodon_1/url1.jpg

Not sure i explained it properly but these bits. Make sure you use washers though coz it takes bloody ages to fish the nut out of the rivets if you forget :oops:

Well gave it a go and yep you are right loads if crap came out, seemed like it was full of sand!!! I suspect during all the wet weather they have been filling with grit.

Ill see how they feel tomorrow when I go to work, but I suspect the discs are on their way out.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem earlier this year on my F4 so you arent alone!

Take them apart again, you need to give the pistons a serious cleaning as they cack up quick.

Get some brake fluid, and a chunk of wood and a G clamp that can fit in the caliper meaning you can block off two pistons and clamp the other and pump each one out individually.

I did it and you wouldnt believe how unevenly they came out. Did them one by one and returned them and then had a quick check and they pumped out evenly after this!

Renew the fluid and then try again, it removed my shudder, it felt like the bike was brake on and off quickly, then at slow speeds I could feel a slow lump as it braked slightly harder then came off again as I slowed to a stop.

Also I can reccomend Carbon Lorraine pads and a stainless steel race set up. A lot more feedback now and slightly improved braking.