Lighting upgrade

Chrissb6

They are a nightmare when people retrofit them to cars that don't self level. They would be MUCH worse on a bike where putting luggage on or a pillion on makes them aim high, and far too many riders don't bother to adjust the level.

They are a nightmare when people retrofit them to cars that don't self level. They would be MUCH worse on a bike where putting luggage on or a pillion on makes them aim high, and far too many riders don't bother to adjust the level.

No they aren't

Theres a thread on this already

They are a nightmare when people fit them to reflector headlights and this is totally illegal with a reflector headlight you get too much stray light which is the one that blinds you

When they are in a projector they are fine

also you don't need self leveling :)

Nope!

read this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45857&p=754529#p754529 also has a link to the MOT hand book

yes they are but what Chrissb6 has linked to is a complete projector bowl this does away with the reflector and you have to modify your headlight :)

H.I.D lights can only legally be fitted to projector type light units. These units require some work to fit into a conventional reflector headlight unit, but the difference in performance once fitted correctly is well worth it.

174334040_hayabusaheadlightmod.jpg.67d06c42b80c7649b24abc8b3246fddb.jpg

H.I.D lights can only legally be fitted to projector type light units. These units require some work to fit into a conventional reflector headlight unit, but the difference in performance once fitted correctly is well worth it.

Looks great on the Bussa!! My Gixxer headlight is useless, so this could be a nice winter project for me :)

My point is that they could be extremely good,and be fitted well, but many won't.

Well that statement just about covers all mods that can be done to a bike :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-6000K-HID-XENON-CONVERSION-KIT-HONDA-CBR1100XX-BLACKBIRD-CBR1000RR-FIREBLADE-/320878683404?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4ab5dc250c

Retrofitted this to my gixxer on the dipped beam, despite it saying they're for the blackbird. Brilliant mod, I don;t need the main beam anymore! :D All it's got is a replacement bulb and a balast box about the size of a packet of cigarettes, it's got quite a bit of wire as well so you're unlikely to find the bulb won't reach the headlight once you've found somewhere to store the balast box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-6000K-HID-XENON-CONVERSION-KIT-HONDA-CBR1100XX-BLACKBIRD-CBR1000RR-FIREBLADE-/320878683404?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4ab5dc250c

Retrofitted this to my gixxer on the dipped beam, despite it saying they're for the blackbird. Brilliant mod, I don;t need the main beam anymore! :D All it's got is a replacement bulb and a balast box about the size of a packet of cigarettes, it's got quite a bit of wire as well so you're unlikely to find the bulb won't reach the headlight once you've found somewhere to store the balast box.

Yeah unless your putting that in a projector unit its illegal you you will blind people!

And annoy them! And if it's me you drive towards and blind ill turn my main beam on, my car has factory dual xenon lights and good god there bright!

An eye for an eye and all that!

probably set too low to blind a motorcyclist though :up:

I doubt it, they are obscenely bright and light up tree tops as far as the eye can see. I just can't stand it when other road users show disrespect for others and I'm not shy lol.

So a car driven by an elderly gentleman is coming towards you down a country lane and has full beam on - You switch to your "obscenely bright" full beam thereby bliding him and causing him to run into the mother & child who happen to be standing at the end of their driveway just ahead of the driver.

WELL DONE!

Sorry but although I undestand your attitude, I cannot condone it. A simple quick 'flash' should suffice and, if not, slow done and or stop till he has passed you.

'Two wrongs will never make a right'

:roll:

I doubt it, they are obscenely bright and light up tree tops as far as the eye can see. I just can't stand it when other road users show disrespect for others and I'm not shy lol.

I think I LIKE you Mr Barry!

:3some: :3some:

Since when has deliberately blinding oncoming drivers been a good idea??? :roll:

it just takes a quick flash to let people know they forgot to dip their lights...

That’s an illegal fit mate l'm afraid. You need a projector style lens to be above board. These lamp s are awesomely bright but need to be set right and kept under control, lighting up the trees is not what they need to be doing, a nicking is just around the corner or worse blind someone and coarse an accident. I've tried the same on my Busa the dip beam pattern is no good at all even after adjustment. My Bimota got Projector lights, why o why they are not fitted to all new bikes l do not know they are awesome.

I think I LIKE you Mr Barry!

:3some: :3some:

Since when has deliberately blinding oncoming drivers been a good idea??? :roll:

it just takes a quick flash to let people know they forgot to dip their lights...

My point EXACTLY! Deliberately blinding people with ill fitting eBay tat strapped on to a bike or car is NOT acceptable!

I do flash first but if they don't turn theirs off then screw them!

That's not to say I don't agree with them if set up correctly, I'm a huge fan of modifying but not I'd it puts other people at risk. Any one wanting to damage or kill them selves can carry om I don't mind at all, but don't drag me into your accident please.

Let's look at the theme of target fixation. You fit cheapo HID lights, the beam dazzles an oncoming motorcyclist because it's badly set up or the reflector is wrong, they panic and fixate on the dazzling badly set up light. Both riders die in a head on. Great idea! :no:

Came across these of Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220813957672? ... 1438.l2649

might be of use to someone looking to upgrade.

Hi Guys, l mailed them to get some more details. What you get in this package is 2 low beam lights and not one of each be warned.

You could split the cost with a mate and do 2 low beam conversions. To be honest you will hardly use your main beam again once this upgrade is in place.

Just thought Id throw in something here...

Just because you dont need full beam anymore with them does not mean you are filling the area with light.

More, the area which is normally lit by dipped beam (the road surface) is much more greatly extended. So while the glare can be bad I knew someone with them and the trick simply was to set them ever so slightly lower than what was set for MOT, this filled the area and didnt blind anyone :?

My experience seems to contradict others..

I hate the ones with reflectors. Once I was riding with a bike fitted with it following, had the HID fitted and then a normal high beam. Id adjusted the low beam down as requested as people kept saying it was too bright. Then wondered why I couldnt see them flashing even though I didnt move the high beam, which was on a separate rail as the HID was still so bright I couldnt see the normal high beam shining through it clearly.

:roll: