Leaking fork seals, Yam T-cat

JamBerryKing

Right, the time has come and my fork seals have given up the ghost.

I knew they needed doing, but i've put it off for a long time, but i've noticed oil coming out now so it needs doing.

Can anyone recommend whether to send them off and get them re-done or just do them myself.

My technical ability is that of being able to do the chain and sprockets, so it should be manageable.

there was a youtube video showing exactly how to do it. I'm not sure if its the same on all bikes though, but I will see if I can find it as it will be useful combined with the haynes.

Glad your back out on the bike though!

you will be able to do it yourself if you are able to change chain n sprockets. just have a bit of confidence and dont start anything till you get all the bits ready. it is a bit messy but its not that hard. a tub for old oil and brute force lol

Just find out for definite if you need a special socket or something to undo inside the bottom of the fork leg. I did my XJ ones and it was easy, the tool was a 17mm bolt if memory serves me right, which I put half in a socket so it would turn the multi pointed thing inside the leg. A Haynes will tell you, and they can normally be bodged. Other than that, pretty easy and I would recommend doing it yourself.

i always leave the fork leg complete and undo the allen bolt in the base of the fork leg that way it saves having to try and get down the fork tube to hold the unit still as the spring does the work for you,then once you have undone bottom allen bolt remove top caps and springs from fork legs then use complete leg as a drift to pull old seal out once you have removed dust cover and circlip

i always leave the fork leg complete and undo the allen bolt in the base of the fork leg that way it saves having to try and get down the fork tube to hold the unit still as the spring does the work for you,then once you have undone bottom allen bolt remove top caps and springs from fork legs then use complete leg as a drift to pull old seal out once you have removed dust cover and circlip

Yep. And me, then it turns as you try and undo it and the guy helping you says, Oh bollocks, now we're going to have to do it the hard way!