Photography

Medic

Does anyone in here know anything about photography?

I'm wanting to get a little creative and start doing a bit of amateur photography, mainly bike related stuff and pics on rides out etc. I did a few arty farty bits and bobs with my Galaxy SIII (seen in my gallery) - close-up angles and and 'different' views etc but want to take this to the next level and not rely on my phone. I got a low end digital camera for Christmas but not sure if it's my expectations of what I need vs my ability to take some good shots with what I have.

The cam I have isn't quite a DSLR (something I initially was after) but a glorified 'point and shoot' Nikon Coolpix L810. It does take pretty good pics with it's 16MP, 26x zoom but it doesn't have detachable lens' so you are limited somewhat by it's preset features. That said, I'm not altogether sure what all the differing 'SCENE' presets are meant to be used for and am still trial and erroring them with a few cringeable results.

Just wondered if anyone out there who might be a little more clued up on cameras than I am might have some pointers or tips for getting the most out of what I have?

My theory is to get as good as I can with what I have before looking to splash out a few hundred on something like a Canon 650D (my initial want).

Hello Medic,

Recently my dads been getting into his photography big time. He's retired and has finished redecorating the house every weekend so was seeking a new outlet for his time.

One of 2 points he seems to stress most are:

1) buy a decent tripod

2) rent books on photography from the library

i didnt really get the second point till i had a quick flick through one of the books he left out over breakfast and it was actually very educational and helpful, explained about all the features, what all the terms meant, key things to remember.

my friend in america is a wedding photographer, shes been doing photography for yeaaars and has only recently started getting work for it. You have to be patient, you have to stand in some weird poses/stances to get the right shot and you have to be veeerrry patient, but when you get that perfect sunset shot its all made worthwhile (im told)

although i normally believe in the old "a bad workman blames his tools" I dont think it applies to cameras. DSLRs make a HUGE difference to photography and the little point and shoots (although great for people just starting to get a hang of composition, framing and the rest of it) just dont compare.

also get a good copy of photo editing software. from what ive seen of my american friends photos, she spends a lot of time editing them after theyve been shot!

I diddled and daddled in photography. Then both compaq and my DSLR were stolen :roll:

But I have the Canon SX130 and Canon eos 550D now. And have to say all you need for going around is a up market compaq like the canon. It doesnt have a detachable lens but it has a good selection of adjustable features, a good iso range but they are a tad grainy on higher isos. More so than Nikons but I found Nikons more fiddly and not as good to use for little things.

So i reccomend the Canon SX130 or whatever is out there now. And learn how to use aperture and shutter speed controls, the screen previews what the picture will look like. Then you can edit them to an amazing standard.

And its fairly cheap! Then you just need to start cheap and work up when you realise what you need to improve your pictures. Just jumping in to the world of DSLRs and even compaqs with up end stuff just ends in amateur looking shots.

My DSLR is generally used for exploration. Funnily the more expensive camera gets exposed to the more dangerous stuff. It was hanging off a cooling tower lately on an old MOD site. But the piccies from that cant go on here :mrgreen:

I don't use any of the scene mode options on mine. I do ... 90% or more of my shooting in either Av (Aperture priority) or Tv (Shutter priority) and the rest on full manual.

Tv is set how long you want the shutter open for and then the camera will set Aperture and ISO so if you're shooting sports or similar then you can set this. If you want to completely freeze the action then it's 1/250th of a second or less. If you're doing motorsports you'll want slightly longer so you can get the slight blur to convey the movement so I usually go about 1/100 or 1/200

Av you set the aperture and the camera sorts the rest so if you want a particular depth of field then pick this. Portrait usually want a narrow depth of field so wide open aperture (smaller number) which will also be a quicker shutter so your subject won't have much chance to move where landscape you want everything in focus so smaller aperture (bigger number) and you know the trees aren't likely to go very far within half a second :D

If your camera can shoot in RAW then do that! They take up more room on the card but means you can then go and edit everything later (White balance, for example) and you're not committing yourself to anything until you're back at your computer. Cards aren't exactly expensive these days :)

And in the same way we say there's no substitute for time in the saddle to learn how to ride the bike, get out there and take more photos. Look through them all. What's good? Why's that one good? Why isn't that one very good? I've kept every photo off my camera in my backups and still go back through them all occasionally, you almost learn more from the bad shots then you do the good ones. You're on digital so if you think there might be a shot in there, go ahead and take it. What's the worst that can happen? :)

The camera you have will get you very good results quality of image wise, but its not so much the camera as the person using it. If its quality you need then the main thing is the lens, forget all the bells and whistles and owning loads of lenses you will spend ages deciding on what lens to use and possibly miss the shot. Get good with what you have. Good pictures are about composition and light. Also nowadays you can get very interesting results if you manipulate your images in Photoshop software or something similar. Go on youtube for camera tips and tricks.

A good idea is to spend a day with your camera and say just have 1 theme i.e. motorbikes and see how many ways you can take interesting shots thinking outside the box. Perhaps photograph a motorbike in the reflection of some chrome of another bike (you will probably need a Harley shop for this :D )

Do not be in too much hurry to upgrade on a camera, you have a camera that in the right hands will take great shots.

I don't use any of the scene mode options on mine. I do ... 90% or more of my shooting in either Av (Aperture priority) or Tv (Shutter priority) and the rest on full manual.

Tv is set how long you want the shutter open for and then the camera will set Aperture and ISO so if you're shooting sports or similar then you can set this. If you want to completely freeze the action then it's 1/250th of a second or less. If you're doing motorsports you'll want slightly longer so you can get the slight blur to convey the movement so I usually go about 1/100 or 1/200

Av you set the aperture and the camera sorts the rest so if you want a particular depth of field then pick this. Portrait usually want a narrow depth of field so wide open aperture (smaller number) which will also be a quicker shutter so your subject won't have much chance to move where landscape you want everything in focus so smaller aperture (bigger number) and you know the trees aren't likely to go very far within half a second :D

If your camera can shoot in RAW then do that! They take up more room on the card but means you can then go and edit everything later (White balance, for example) and you're not committing yourself to anything until you're back at your computer. Cards aren't exactly expensive these days :)

And in the same way we say there's no substitute for time in the saddle to learn how to ride the bike, get out there and take more photos. Look through them all. What's good? Why's that one good? Why isn't that one very good? I've kept every photo off my camera in my backups and still go back through them all occasionally, you almost learn more from the bad shots then you do the good ones. You're on digital so if you think there might be a shot in there, go ahead and take it. What's the worst that can happen? :)

Some nice advice there from all of you, thank you.

The Tv Av thing didn't really make a lot of sense to me if I'm honest but I kinda got the jist of what it meant. Unfortunately apart from the scene modes on my camera, it won't shoot in RAW format, I am a seasoned Photoshop geek (previous job being 20 years in the graphic design industry), the other modes on the camera are literally auto AF, an ability to alter white balance, and ISO range from 80 to 1600.

Ideally I was wanting to be able to do things like mood shots and focus on distant objects whilst blurring the foreground stuff etc. Basically the kind of stuff I've been seeing other photographers do for years.

This is one I snapped last night in Bradford of the 20 million £ water feature in Centenary Square with my Galaxy SIII in Low Light mode

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o523/WHiteGixer/Bradford%20Centenary%20Square%20Water%20Feature/2013-01-05173621_zps62bc7974.jpg

Edited by Medic

Here's a couple more I messed with in Instagram on my phone and uploaded

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o523/WHiteGixer/Bandit%20the%20Dog/Banditlookingatcam_zpsefd88844.jpg

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o523/WHiteGixer/Misc%20snaps/OakwellHallwoodssteps_zps16c2eb78.jpeg

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o523/WHiteGixer/Misc%20snaps/OakwellHallwoods_zps97511cb3.jpg

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o523/WHiteGixer/Bandit%20the%20Dog/Banditinthewoods_zps8dc446b7.jpg

nothing serious - was literally messing with my phone out with the dog

Edited by Medic

you can get a relatively cheap entry level DSLR camera as a starting point. the body of which should set you back around £300. i got mine off ebay and paid sub £200 all in with an 18-55mm lens. (basic multi purpose lens).

the thing that really starts adding up on DSLR is the lenses. ideally you want about 4 (depending on what you're mainly doing with it, you can get away with fewer)

18-55mm standard

55-200mm to allow you to get some closer in shots (my personal fave)

macro lens.

portrait lens.

what might be better is a bridge camera. they're a little more point a click - but you don't need to fuss around with changing lens and you still get a much better shot owing to the larger aperture and better sensor. you can still bring features online that you would find in a DSLR as well, as many of them are just as capable. for the descerning beginner, this is a great place to start. added bonus - they're quite cheap, entry level being around £180-£200 and you don't need to fork out for lenses.

disadvantage being there is a little less flexibility.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o523/WHiteGixer/2013-01-05173356_zpsdb56d5c7.jpg

Mind if I give some tips that will help out with a new camera?

I will only be listing bad points as I do with my own pictures!

First of all while the background is lit it is blurred and grainy like the camera auto selected a high iso.

A low iso and low shutter speed would correct this!

But then we have the issue with the glaring on all things lit in the picture.

For this I use polarised lens caps or a polarised lens itself. It removes the over bright shine of sunlight, it can make a whitened out picture show a blue sky and the sun.

Retake if you can put cut out the decking at the bottom. Show off the water piece and the main building behind it and maybe angle it to the right as the buildings look more classical as opposed to the office block on the left!

But as phone photos go btw. A good shot :thumb:

I quite like the instagram photos but I find them a tad overdone now. Id look to do something new! This will be what separates you from other photographers. Get on some urban exploration forums but I warn you now...

You may enter a whole world of bitching :lol:.

Ive pissed off a few people by taking pictures from angles they used. It was merely to have my own take or learn to see what they see to expand my own knowledge base, they are welcome to do the same to me but it angers people especially when yours comes out better. So I rather suspect its their insecurities playing up!

Thanks for the advice Fozzie - duly noted and will take all points on board. As I said, it was a quick point and click from an 8Mp phone but I see what you mean about the blur etc.

I think the camera I have, the Nikon Coolpix L810, is a Bridge camera - I'm sure I read it somewhere in the manual (for what its worth - it didn't explain a right lot to a novice like me if I'm honest).

Whilst I can override the ISO, I don't think I can do anything about the shutter speed, I may be wrong on this though.

I do kinda have a theory, and what I'm trying to achieve is taking pictures of things that become something more than the norm. What I mean by this is - rather than taking a picture of a bike or a tree, and them being just pics of bikes or trees, I want them to be WOW! Taking things from different angles or with different light settings, they become artistic rather than just snaps. As mentioned earlier, taking pictures in reflections etc.

Trial and error I guess being the key factor here then.

I've had a DSLR for a while now and i always struggled to get the settings right for the environment i was in. I wanted to shoot pictures like you want to medic, of regular stuff, but make it look, better in someway.

I since lost the motivation for doing it as a serious hobby but I still like the idea of dabbling in it, although i do just end up taking pictures at partys :P

I've been pretty pleased with my small digital camera Panasonic DMC-FS7- it seems to produce pretty good pictures. I think it's worth working on the composition side of photography before splashing out on expensive equipment. I think you have to be very good to get the most out of it.

Here's a few snaps from last week....

P1020898comp.thumb.jpg.6d5942882e8a8ad86bbf3ea352567e1a.jpg

P1020899comp.thumb.jpg.195347f32a137203c56dadffb23fd152.jpg

P1020896comp.thumb.jpg.eb1eec3a04ed8de226fa9fc27ce6ebf2.jpg

P1020901comp.thumb.jpg.6bdaddfd210a82202155d49fbafa203d.jpg

Perhaps photograph a motorbike in the reflection of some chrome of another bike (you will probably need a Harley shop for this :D )

D.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/julianbuxton/North%20Shields%202012/103.jpg

Hi Medic. Drop me a PM and I will help you with this. I would reply on here but it would inevitably end up as the usual "willy-waving" competition as so often happens on subjects like this.

I have a brilliant camera, a canon 1D which cost around 5 grand and my latest lens cost a little over 1600. Having all the gear though doesn't make you an instant expert. Far from it. I will, show you some stuff from my early days, (how not to take pictures), and more recent stuff, and explain why, how and the settings I use. My degree in critical theory for photographers has helped recently but at the end of the day if you see something good then take the picture regardless what kit you use.

Drop us a PM. I will help you as much as I can with this. Same for anyone else, feel free to get in touch via a PM with any questions. I will do what I can to help in any way.

I dont think there is enough photographers on here for "willy waving" and not seen any of the competitive ones yet!

So if you have any pro advice share it and hopefully if anyone does disagree they wont be stuck up about it :)

This is why I steer clear of most urbex sites now as many argue photographic styles for the sake of it and cause people to be less open about what could be good advice to many.

Hi Medic. Drop me a PM and I will help you with this. I would reply on here but it would inevitably end up as the usual "willy-waving" competition as so often happens on subjects like this.

I have a brilliant camera, a canon 1D which cost around 5 grand and my latest lens cost a little over 1600. Having all the gear though doesn't make you an instant expert. Far from it. I will, show you some stuff from my early days, (how not to take pictures), and more recent stuff, and explain why, how and the settings I use. My degree in critical theory for photographers has helped recently but at the end of the day if you see something good then take the picture regardless what kit you use.

Drop us a PM. I will help you as much as I can with this. Same for anyone else, feel free to get in touch via a PM with any questions. I will do what I can to help in any way.

ROFL!! willy waving. love that term now and i'm going to use it at every opportunity! (not waving my willy, boys in blue would be upset by that.)

ROFL!! willy waving. love that term now and i'm going to use it at every opportunity! (not waving my willy, boys in blue would be upset by that.)

I dont think there is enough photographers on here for "willy waving" and not seen any of the competitive ones yet!

So if you have any pro advice share it and hopefully if anyone does disagree they wont be stuck up about it :)

This is why I steer clear of most urbex sites now as many argue photographic styles for the sake of it and cause people to be less open about what could be good advice to many.

I'll competitively wave my willy....Once the temperature rises :twisted: :lol:

What camera have you got JBK? Are you planning in keeping it or you lining to sell it?

I aim on keeping it as its a decent camera, at least for my uses. i've got 18-55mm, and 55mm - 200mm lense with it. its a nikon D40 and its about 5 years old :P

oh this is one of my favourite pcitures i have taken, A cookie fi you guess the bike.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7333/dsc0138wh.jpg

Edited by JamBerryKing

Will do mate cheers, and I know what you mean. Thanks 8-)

It was a fair comment he made though and I can sympathise with him. Look at the flack I received from that guy on Youtbe about drilling a hole in his lid just so he could mount his GoPro on it. I tried to offer a simple piece of constructive advice to him and he turned on me with that "WTF do you know about it" mentality. Sometimes views are best kept for the person who initially asks for them, that way they can't exactly turn round and say that otherwise they would be, "well you asked me for my opinion".

You can never be sure what response you will receive on a forum though so...

I know Jack Sh1t about photography at this point so if he told me I'd be better taking pics in my wife's underwear, I'd probably be inclined to believe him and do it (or is it I just fancy that thong thing going on?) :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :oops: :P

What camera have you got JBK? Are you planning in keeping it or you lining to sell it?

I aim on keeping it as its a decent camera, at least for my uses. i've got 18-55mm, and 55mm - 200mm lense with it. its a nikon D40 and its about 5 years old :P

oh this is one of my favourite pcitures i have taken, A cookie fi you guess the bike.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7333/dsc0138wh.jpg

Nice pic..Suzuki M1800?