Uk Challenge 2013 Discussion Thread

TC

Did the moorcock inn and the dales in dense fog. The ribble viaduct was a shape in the distance but the roads are great, even with the mud and speed traps. I see men with cloth caps have been replaced with ladies in burkas in Blackburn. I ended up in someones driveway to get a photo of thw White Nancy. Arrived at Jodrell Bank minutes after it closed but it is a spectacular site and the road past it is great. Now in a pub in Southport a street away from the carousel. Do I get a nice logo for my signature for the North West?

I reckon thats the only position to photo White Nancy from, within a reasonable distance, maybe i should get up there before the residents start to complain!!!

The real problem was my phone's camera. There was another better view from further away on a road, but with the whiteness of the Nancy and the white sky, I could not get it to to show in the photo.

Congratulations Throttled on completing the 'Northwest' leg of the challenge.

Completion pic for your sig will sorted soon mate. You caught me out doing it so quickly.

Ta much. :cheers:

Did the moorcock inn and the dales in dense fog. The ribble viaduct was a shape in the distance but the roads are great, even with the mud and speed traps. I see men with cloth caps have been replaced with ladies in burkas in Blackburn. I ended up in someones driveway to get a photo of thw White Nancy. Arrived at Jodrell Bank minutes after it closed but it is a spectacular site and the road past it is great. Now in a pub in Southport a street away from the carousel. Do I get a nice logo for my signature for the North West?

I reckon thats the only position to photo White Nancy from, within a reasonable distance, maybe i should get up there before the residents start to complain!!!

Your off the marks and exactly the same driveway to get the White Nancy! How many are you planning on doing this year?

• 3 weeks later...

To Grumpy Old Git: you are saying the packhorse bridge postcode is 13 miles away. where have you got the postcode from? i just checked the marker on google maps and it is in the correct location. me confused

Priest, I think I saw you up Portsdown Hill yesterday!

mm really? what were you riding?

i have seen couple of bikes passing by the viewpoint while i was walking...

:oops: Yamaha YBR 125 with L plates :oops:

I saw your picture in the picture thread and recognised you. I go up there everyday haha. :)

To Grumpy Old Git: you are saying the packhorse bridge postcode is 13 miles away. where have you got the postcode from? i just checked the marker on google maps and it is in the correct location. me confused

Google Maps puts it correct.

Streetmap puts it correct.

Navigon Satnag puts it near the centre of Bury St Edmonds!!!

However, putting in the name of the village takes you to the road junction just up from the bridge (which is visible from there). :?

Dad's Army Museum put me in a council estate - But less than a mile away.

A143 is now on my list of 'great bike routes'.

Next trip will either be the rest of the SE or the Midlands.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

Best route to get a piccy:-

A350 through centre of Poole (follow signs for Ferry (Cherbourg / Channel islands).

Just before the bridge, turn left (The Quay).

Follow this road (water o the right) till you get to a line of Palm Trees - Park and take picture looking out towards Brownsea Island. The wet bit is Poole Harbour.

:cheers:

i was in wales yesterday, thinking, is there a tag on this ride????, wasnt til i got home that i realised, stopped for a cuppa at Bala, doh!

, still, today , once south of brum, the roads were 'very pleasant'

• 4 weeks later...

Today was the Kings House Hotel, Ardnamurchan Lighthouse and the Glenfinnan Monument. We had loads of family holidays in Ardnamurchan and I now know why. The place is just one stunning view after another. I just did not appreciate that as a kid. The new tent is pitched and now getting pissed ready for a good nights sleep.

Eieandonan castle, Applecross road sign, Ardmair point, Smoo cave, Dunnet head and Urquhart Castle done. The castle was a painas loads of trees have been planted to block the view and make you pay to see it. I went intothe coach parking and there is a smallgap at a white pole. Camping tonight and more tags tomorrow.