Aluminium engine block prep for painting

Hi All,

looking for advice here, its not for a bike engine but the methods could be used during a bike restoration.

I've got an old aluminium engine block which is completley stripped and I've pressure washed it, this has done a good job so far but its no where near a point ready for painting.

so my request for help is, any hints and tips on the cleaning and the priming of an ali block or anyone know of someone around manchester that i could throw money at the situation and get it done?

cheers for any advice and i hope you don't mind me posting this question in here.

Chris :cheers:

Stick it in the Dishwasher... Seriously, it cleans all kinds of crap off engine parts!!!

Yes it does and it is great but i dont think it will be enough to make it ready for paint :?

ideally it wants bead blasting but you need to use someone who knows about engines and what you can clean and what you cant!

Cheers guys, at my old work we had a large parts dishwasher but that's 200 miles from where I currently am and the suggestion of buying a dishwasher for doing engine bits was followed by the request for one in the house.

Will search around a big more and see if I can find someone that'll do it, especially if it needs bead blasting.

Thanks again!

C :)

Stick it in the Dishwasher... Seriously, it cleans all kinds of crap off engine parts!!!

Yes it does and it is great but i dont think it will be enough to make it ready for paint :?

ideally it wants bead blasting but you need to use someone who knows about engines and what you can clean and what you cant!

Not entirely ready, but its a great start to get all the crud cleaned off.. I got the tip from Mark Evans on TV's "A Car Is Born".

all depends what level of finish you're after and how much you want to spend, but on a budget the dishwasher's a good start...

Yep, everything is out. It's and Enfield marine engine, doing it for the father in law. I know it's not a bike but as I said earlier hopefully the topic will be helpful when others come to do there engines.

Haven't seen an explanation of how that works? ie how you pressurise the dry ice and how you break it up into small enough bits to be able to pressurise it. I certainly wouldn't use it indoors. Soda blasting is a lot safer!!! Just needs a pot of soda powder and a compressor.

Dry ice blasting is ok but slow, the CO2 liquid makes the pressure and a difuser thingy turns it into a powder as it leaves the nozzle. It's best use is cooling a can of cider in 20 seconds flat!!!

They used it for cleaning in a foundry I contracted to a few years ago.

It's commonly used for electrical cleaning too as its safe to do on live equipment (so long as you don't touch said live equipt etc;)

• 3 weeks later...

Throwing money at the situation, found a guy in Manchester that will clean, prep and prime it for me, when I build my own workshop once we've purchased a house I'll get a large dishwasher off gumtree, but it'll be useful for degreasing loads of things!

Cheers for your help guys will put before and after pics up once its done.

Now who knows how to spray paint. . . .

Chris :)

Hi, how about trying an Alloy wheel cleaning - referb kit. l would avoid bead blasting its glass all said and done, that stuff will etch all the bolt heads and get in all the oil galleries be a right job to clean out. Oven cleaner has also be rumoured to work well.

Best of luck. PS On painting make sure you use a etching primer designed for use on alloy, any thing else will just flake off in no time.