Stupid DIY Injuries..

Joeman

Im a keen DIY'er but i always seem to hurt myself!!

Pretty sure im not the only one on here who hurts themself so though it would be fun to start a thread to compre DIY/Mechanic injuries!!!

Im in the the process of boarding out my loft to make some more storage space. Last weekend i got a giant splinter about the size of a cocktail stick, and this weekend i was sawing some wood, when the saw jumped and sliced through my thumbnail in half!

[album]605[/album]

I was using a breaker bar to undo the oil nut on my bike on my knees looking at the nut making sure I was square on it, pulling the bar towards me. Finally it gives whacking me square in the forehead. three butterfly stitches, still bare the scar but I'm not showing my face here :P It's amazing how much blood comes from facial injuries.

That nail injury is rubbish, here's mine

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8498/8379679003_a11838e9fa.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8094/8379679153_075dc7060f.jpg

admittedly it's a dog bite, don't ever try break up a dog fight. Just let them kill each other :| They removed the nail under local.

Good one.

Not really a DIY injury but once, whilst losing my patience with my cam chain on a cb750, I kicked the air cooled engine and broke my foot.

LOL, i broke my toe when i fell off my DT50 when i was 10 years old. the bike was far too big for me, even with a chunk of foam cut out of the seat. :lol: the bike landed on my big toe and crushed it. I

was on crutches for a week!! still looks bent now... LOL

I broke my foot falling off my unicycle, and that was seconds after ridiculing a friend for not being as good as me. I landed face first then came down like a plank taking all the load on my foot, it hurt like crazy but I had an audience of friends rolling on the floor so i acted like it didn't hurt a bit, I was crying inside lmao.

Well I have a picture of my finger after it got caught in between a spinning diskbrake and frame (of a pushbike) whilst servicing a bike - its got some blood though so not sure if people are particularly squemish about that sort of thing.

went through the nail and flesh like butter untill it jarred on the bone - strangely i didnt feel it and just looked at my hand thinking "well would you fancy that, I always worried about that happening" then got it cleaned up and bandaged and went back to work.

Was that while he or a mate was riding it?

He had it on centre stand, in gear and cleaning the chain with a rag as the chain span :shock:

Now I do the same, put my bike on centre stand and when I clean it I run it in gear and use the cleaning tool. Hold the brush with one hand while using degreaser in the other. Then I put it in neutral, run a rag on it to clean off the degreaser, then run it again while lubing, then use the rag with it stopped, then one more quick layer :)

Many just leave it in gear and carefully use a rag but while many get away with it for years there will always be one and sods law is its you :lol:

Was that while he or a mate was riding it?

He had it on centre stand, in gear and cleaning the chain with a rag as the chain span :shock:

Now I do the same, put my bike on centre stand and when I clean it I run it in gear and use the cleaning tool. Hold the brush with one hand while using degreaser in the other. Then I put it in neutral, run a rag on it to clean off the degreaser, then run it again while lubing, then use the rag with it stopped, then one more quick layer :)

Many just leave it in gear and carefully use a rag but while many get away with it for years there will always be one and sods law is its you :lol:

for some reason I cant remember where or who said, but I was told never ever put it in gear whilst on the centre stand. perhaps its to save you getting your hand trapped? It would make it soooo much easier to lube the chain though. perhaps i will ignore the scare mongering and start cheating.

I clean my chain using old toothbrushes or similar brush tools, doesnt matter if the chain eats those up :lol:

Now your hand however... Always put it in neutral and spin the wheel in case it hops back into gear. Or turn it off before touching that chain with your hands and a rag :thumb:

I know many mechanics that do it!