First restoration project

Guest petrolhead1989

gear box been put in upside down?!! :mrgreen:

Lol. im not sure.

the gear lever ould be on back to from, which would cause it be like this, but obviously it could be made either wau from factory, and not owning one of these bikes before, i dont know which way its round its.meant to be..

Hmmm

Before spraying in a brick shed SOAK the walls and floor with a hose pipe, ceiling too if its possible. It will reduce dust and particles in the spray tenfold. You could use plastic sheet to make an internal tent if wetting down isn't possible.

If using rattle cans keep them in a bowl of hot water it thins and reduces orange peal as well as aiding drying times and key. Just be sure you dry the can before using it, a drip of water on a panel will result in you being back to square one.

Before spraying in a brick shed SOAK the walls and floor with a hose pipe, ceiling too if its possible. It will reduce dust and particles in the spray tenfold. You could use plastic sheet to make an internal tent if wetting down isn't possible.

If using rattle cans keep them in a bowl of hot water it thins and reduces orange peal as well as aiding drying times and key. Just be sure you dry the can before using it, a drip of water on a panel will result in you being back to square one.

Already ahead of ya bud :D

My shed has polystirene inserts on the walls for a little insulation, and its dust free. I always make sure its hoovered regularly because i do alot of spraying in there.

No rattle cans, Full on air compressor and air guns mate. :D

But i apreciate your time and concern for my paint work :D

OK, got its fairings Primered and lightly sanded lightly.. Ready for painting..

Still got fuel tank to do, and front mud guard too, But i dont like to get too ahead of myself..

PLus the fuel tank needs emptying, got like quarter tank of fuel..

But here is what these look like so far..

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/20130225_204550_zpsa76a5499.jpg

So gutted ive got to re-do this step once my new left side fairing arrives. But oh well..

Ready for a nice lick of Shiny Shiney black paint :D

Hey guys

I am pretty happy im starting my first bike project..

Nothing big, fast and special, as i do not have my full bike licence yet, so its just a 125cc :D

Bought this yesterday, (Friday 22nd), travelled all the way to london to pick it up on a trailer..

Its a Skyjet SJ125 - 23... I know, chinese copy, But

car parts it doesnt bother me, 1. its a honda cbr125r replica, and parts fit it, and 2. my friends had the same bike as i have, thrashed it daily, and owned it for nearly 4 years, without a single problem. :D

I payed £250 for this bike, (she looks worse than she actually is)

2009 reg..

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/media2_zps522b1eae.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/media1_zpsd73ff75d.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/media_zps268902ed.jpg

I turned up in london, expecting some piece of S**t, but like i said, it looks worse than it actually is in person..

Its mostly fairing damage, as in scratches and a double of splits here and there..

It really just needs a good clean up..

A couple of things its missing... Indicators :D lol.. it has one, front right one, None on back, and the owner ripped the wiring out, But ive ordered some nice LED indicators, a set of 4, and going to be splitting into the wiring loom, and sorting out the wiring, and fitting these new indicators..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370695959952? ... 1497.l2649

I know they arent real carbon fibre, But i am a big fan of carbon fibre look...

Over the next couple of days, going to be stripping her down to bare frame.. Cleaning up, Engine has only done 2k miles from brand new, so arent too fussed about inspecting engine..

Respraying frame, as its scratched from previous owners accident.. Clean up engine block, Refit everything, Filler, sand, paint the fairings, make my own adjustments, and get her on the road :D

Will add more when i have made more progress :D

Your bike looks awesome. Keep the thread updated with latest pics I will follow it till end

Cheers bud..

Been a slow process lately, Nothing big to do really, just a few wiring issues to solve and waiting for bits to turn up from post really..

But will have some more pics and updates later..

Just a quick, Love ya postman Post :D

Finally recieved my Carbon Fibre Effect LED indicator set..

Been waiting agessss.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/20130301_115604_zpse0cd63eb.jpg

Unfortunately i cant fit them yet, they are going to be fitted into my fairings, and they arent even painted of fitted on the bike yet...

Sorry about no restoration post's guys

Like i said, It has been slow moving lately..

Nothing extremely big to do, Just thread locking certain bolts to make sure they are all good, Minor adjustments, Bleeding front brake etc..

But after priming, i found there is still some visible marks on the tank, so i went over them with Body filler, and in the process of sanding it all smooth. Making sure there are no marks what so ever :D

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/20130306_113108_zps2b776773.jpg

Still no indicators fitted to the bike, as i have to get the fairings painted up first, as im fitting them into the fairings..

BUt had them quickly wired up.. Looks fab :D

Nothing all that big dude.

I have been away all the weekend. So havent had any time on it really..

I picked up the paints, thinner and laquer, but they are not exactly what im wanting..

So going to pick up some correct paints today, Then i seriously need to crack on with it..

Sadly, not much done AGAIN!!!!

Sorry if this thread is a bit of a bore.. Trust me, its boring me like mad right now..

Lack of funds is one problem for sure, but im getting there slowly..

Been on the phone with a paint company, trying to get an exact black that im looking for.. Satin Black with Fine Metallic flakes.

Finally got it sorted out, Paint is here..

Should be shooting some paint tomorrow.. Get these fairings done..

Also have a problem with my Front ABS valve on the brake calliper, it slowly leaks.. Losing all brake pressure within about an hour...

So first off tomorrow.. Remove it, bolt the brake line directly into the calliper, and re-bleed. Should sort it :D

Once fairings are painted and fitted, Indicators can then be wired in :D

I have also been on the phone alot today, trying to get a replacement fairing, as im missing the N/S one, but sadly i cannot get one at a decent price..

I do not fancy paying £45 for a brand new one, there fairing is 32x40cm bit.. £45 for a bit of plastic that small just doesnt seam good to me...

Hopefully have some images tomorrow guys..

Wooo, finally got round to maiking progress today..

First light coat of paint on the fairings :D Damn ive been putting this off for sooo long :D

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/20130315_173159_zps5b40bb34.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/20130315_173210_zpsac6d95b8.jpg

Giving them until tomorrow for the next coat.. Of course im going to be gently using 1200grit Wet & Dry paper on it before the next coat..

:D

Engine runs like a dream mate.

Flick the started button and it starts, and 1st kick on the old kickstart too :D

I am going to order a whole new ignition barrel set with wiring loom when i next have some cash..

as its £50 for a set, Barrel, fuel tank lock and seat lock.. (so they are all one key)

OK, took a few days to get the fairings painted up nicely.. LEt each coat dry, Wet & dry sand each layer with 1200grit.. etc

Got everything looking sweet as a nut..

Put the clear coat on everything, all came out lovely.. Except the tank..

Some parts of the paint bubbled up a little.. Wasnt too happy at all..

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/20130316_194837_zpsdd4ddabf.jpg

So sanded her all the way down to bare metal again, and repainted her..

I am not so happy with the outcome of the tank this time though..

but some of the fairings that are finished, are slowly getting installed back onto the bike again..

Finally, its started looking like a bike again :D

Got the rear fairings on, and my LED indicators installed and wired up :D

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/IMG-20130319-WA0003_zps6f897f28.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/IMG-20130319-WA0002_zps0c768019.jpg

The rest of the fairings are looking fantastic :D

Also got on ebay earlier and ordered myself a correct ignition barrel and matching tank and seat locks.. £50!!!!!!!!!!

Should be here saturday (if royal snail pick their a$$ up) :D

Also want to say a big thanks to Tango.. Sorry its late fella, been ill the last couple of days..

Tango sorted me out with a rather nice looking, mint condition helmet.

You can tell it has barely any used to it at all.

Tango lives literally two mins walk from me, so he was kind enough to meet me and hand me it..

Thanks very much Bob.. its very much apreciated..

I sure will be making a donation to this forum for your help..

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/20130320_185256_zps4ac187ff.jpg

Stop apologising for the time this is taking! It is your restoration and you do it to suit you!

Nah i was apologising for Tango, Havent properly been able to say a thankyou on here towards him..

:D

Good job m8 Just take your time ...... I know well how the pressure of doing a restoration blog can make you rush things a bit to keep it flowing :oops:

Out of interest what caused the tank to bubble ?

Hey Allan.....no probs at all.......I'm generally not a fan of 2nd hand lids....but I can vouch for the condition of this one as I bought it new and it's been well looked after......it was just a bit small for me and caused headaches after an hour or 2 riding......so I'm glad to see it go to a good home.

Anyway....back to your project.......looking good mate...... :thumb: I guess there was a bit of oil or something on the tank that caused that reaction......but you've got it sorted now....so that's the main thing.... 8-)

£50 for a lock set ain't too bad.....and at least you'll get the bike working as it should with that..... 8-)

Keep up the good work mate..... 8-)

cheers guys :D

Erm i think it must be something like fuel spills or something in the past. because it didnt happen all over the tank, and i didnt do anything different through out painting the entire tank..

the bubbling happen quiet near the tank filler, so maybe fuel over spill makes sence..

BUt its ok now..

and yeah tango, can see its been looked after..

Its not for permanent anyway, just to get me by for now..

Moving home and fixing the bike up is draining my wallet and bank.. it sucks..

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. Haven't been able to say much really. Busy moving house etc.

Well my bike was coming along nicely. Until I let my 15 year old sister have a go...

The reults were horrendous..

To put it simple.. loads of revs, dumped the clutch, and now I have a bike with no fairings and there is a shed barely standing, with a huge hole in it at the bottom of my garden :-)

But ordered a complete fairing and tank set for it, £250 lighter in my wallet now..

Parcels came today. I have just been busy fitting a few today, oh how nice it is to see my bike actually have all of its fairings :-)

Unfortunately my samsung galaxy s2 packed up on me so unable to take any picturea of how she is getting on, but luckily imy new phone will be delivered in a couple of days. Galaxy s4 :-D

Will upload pics asap...