Clutch cable free play

Donnie Brasco

Hi guys,I've recently took the clutch lever off my bandit to lube the cable and after putting it back I just don't seem to find that free play sweet spot. I like as little slack as possible so let's say 3,4mm and here's the weird thing,I have that much slack when riding but when the bike is left overnight and I feel the lever it feels as if there isn't any slack at all,if that's the case then does the shrinkage and change in slack be enough for it to cause slipping?

Problem is if I set the slack when cold then when it warms up I end up with too much slack and kinda dosen't feel right.

Any suggestions?

Check routing on cable mate. May tighten with steering on full lock one way and slack the other way. Should be 3mm at the lever. :mrgreen:

Yea will check with straight steering this time,does turning the handlebar actually make it tighter normally?i think i might have done the adjustment on full lock.

someone had a similar issue with a Harley and it was explained by clutch plates warming up causing the additional slack?

Check routing on cable mate. May tighten with steering on full lock one way and slack the other way. Should be 3mm at the lever. :mrgreen:

Yea will check with straight steering this time,does turning the handlebar actually make it tighter normally?i think i might have done the adjustment on full lock.

someone had a similar issue with a Harley and it was explained by clutch plates warming up causing the additional slack?

If it does, Ive never noticed it!

If it does, Ive never noticed it!

I had two bikes before this and never noticed it either,bit strange this

Well it seems like Mr.Megawat is correct in this occasion.when going full lock there is a touch difference in free play.here's your lesson of the day: 'always adjust the cable with straight handlebars :-)

Still an ongoing problem I'm afraid.the lever is pretty tight with no play when cold so I'm going to adjust it when cold and see how it goes.btw the suzuki owners manual says 10 to 15mm of clutch free play is required. This is the same resource that tells you and I quote: 'turning the throttle grip will result in increased speed' :-)

Yeah the manual for my cbr says 10-20mm :shock:

Does it really matter? I think mine is less than 10mm. Its probably about half that tbh. Is there any real reason that much play is recommended? I just do what feels comfortable (its good for quick shifting, although to be fair I do usually end up not using the clutch if I want to put the bike through its paces) but as long as its not disengaging when you arent touching the clutch, then surely thats alright?

Although, saying that, I should probably check it on full lock lol. Although I always hold the clutch in on full lock anyway, as I only do full lock if I'm parking or doing a slow maneuver, so no issue there either