? brake judder

keith565

looking for your thoughts.

was riding home yesterday in freezing fog (thought it was going to be mild?), was only a few miles from home after doing all sorts of manoeuvres from straight runs up the A1 to low speed filtering. anyway, i was coming off the A19 onto the A690 slip road at approx 70mph when i gently applied my front brake and got this almighty judder through the handle bars and brake lever. I let go of the brake lever and it went as fast as it came on, pulled brake lever again and it did it again but wasn't as bad and as i slowed right down it became un-noticeable. for the next few miles i tried to bring it back on but couldn't as road speeds were max 30mph.

I've got the bike up on the centre stand, can't feel any play on the forks or the front wheel, all feel solid. new pads fitted in jan,brakes been super since. only MOT'd in early feb.

any thoughts guys.

got to say i got a bit of a shock. :shock:

could be something to do with the freezing fog and the disks been cold!

they could have been misshaped by the cold and once you got some heat in them you couldn't feel it again :?

Could have been a reaction with the damp air and the brake pads?

:stupid:

Try riding now and again with your hand just touching the brake lever, keeping a little bit of heat in the disc.

well, i thought i would have another check of the bike before riding it again and i found my front tyre pressure was ...........wait for it...............16psi :shock: . i know, didn't feel low, i actually thought it might have been to high. anyway, pumped it up to 36 where i normally have it and off i went. well,as you can imagine, there was no shake when i put the ankers on. so problem solved. i now need to keep a close eye on the tyre in case i have a slow puncture. can't see anything and they have only done 4000 and plenty of tread left on them.

well, i thought i would have another check of the bike before riding it again and i found my front tyre pressure was ...........wait for it...............16psi :shock: . i know, didn't feel low, i actually thought it might have been to high. anyway, pumped it up to 36 where i normally have it and off i went. well,as you can imagine, there was no shake when i put the ankers on. so problem solved. i now need to keep a close eye on the tyre in case i have a slow puncture. can't see anything and they have only done 4000 and plenty of tread left on them.

Nice one keith, glad you found the cause of the problem. Just go's to show if its not right don't turn a blind eye. This could of really bit you on your arse.