LEADED or UNLEADED?

Guest Rik

HI, I'm a new member so this may have been discussed to death, so sorry in advance.

I have a 1982 BMW R80RT. The bike has been off the road for 13 years with the original LEADED fuel in the tank.

Does anyone know if I can use Unleaded in the tank or if I require mods done to the valves etc, or if adding additive to the fuel best way to go. Thx in advance.

I'll probably get my head bitten off for attempting to tell you but I think I've read that you need to remove the cylinder head and replace the valve seats with hardened ones and this can be quite expensive and if you're using only for sunny weather stick to additives otherwise you'll have to fork out for the new valve seats...

I'm only saying what I think I've read.. What do I know I'm 16 =p

I'll probably get my head bitten off for attempting to tell you but I think I've read that you need to remove the cylinder head and replace the valve seats with hardened ones and this can be quite expensive and if you're using only for sunny weather stick to additives otherwise you'll have to fork out for the new valve seats...

I'm only saying what I think I've read.. What do I know I'm 16 =p

Thx for advise. Will keep reading. I read somewhere it will be ok to use UNLEADED because the compression ratio is low. Whatever that means. :?

try this..http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/valves.htm

and this http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/ga ... 20Fuel.pdf

or this http://www.fixya.com/motorcycles/t90271 ... r100rs_run

according to most replies the answer is yes but says to make sure you use Premium unleaded.

Spoke to a BMW mate. He reckons before pre 1985 models would be at risk of damage. Motoworks do exchange heads for £200/pair if you do the removal/replacement. Octane booster would work if you don't do high mileage, but it's worth cleaning heads first and checking em after a few thousand miles. Google it, there's loads of info? :mrgreen:

The lead in leaded fuel was to lubricate the exhaust valves.. running unleaded fuel would run, but would severely damage your engine.. sharpish..

Also unleaded fuel burns hotter, so an older "leaded" engine, would cook...

You can get aditives to add to unleaded fuel, im pretty sure you can get it at most highly named petrol stations..

i know Shell, sell it :D

Or just LPG convert your engine.. :D

Better burning, better performance, more miles :D

I thought that all bikes from the mid 70's onwards all ran on Unleaded? All my bikes certainly have.....from my first one, CD175 Honda I bought in 1975 right through.......and as I say I ran the R100 on unleaded and never heard any pinking from the engine....... :)

honda engines could run on unleaded from the early 70's as tango said and most others soon followed suite but i cant really help on bmw to be fair.........or what else was it they said you could do back then chuck a lump of lead block in the tank as they said that was meant to help

I used to have a lot to do with running old landrover engines and mini engine (A type).

As a general rule, any engine that has run for years on leaded will have a good layer of lead already embedded on the valve seats, so it will last for ages for occasional use.

Unless you are planning on sitting on the motorway doing high mileage, I wouldn't worry too much about it, how many miles are you planning on doing?

Yes, the timing will want changing slightly to compensate, but I have never heard of leaded engines running hotter? Most of them did because cooling systems back then were crap! ;)

If you use additive, you will have no issues. If it's a bike you plan on running for years and years, £200 for some modded heads is not a lot to spend.

DO some research on the net though as from memory, some of the additives are a lot etter than others!

DO some research on the net though as from memory, some of the additives are a lot etter than others!

and some do eff all too :?

I remember looking in to it when my dad had a petrol in his 72 land rover and there is some additives that do nothing there is a few out there that do what they are supposed to and are really cheap too