Power out - compensation

al_stu

Hi Guys

So our power has been out for 3 days straight now after a fault in the line, then a surge blew the connection to our house (awesome everyone else is back and we're still out)

At the end of the 2nd day the company (after much shouting) loaned us a 2kw generator. So not enough to make a brew, but at least we can turn the central heating and the fridge back on.

They have hinted at compensation for our trouble. I think the fridge/freezer has just about survived, but we're not the type to keep hundreds of pounds of stuff in there, just bits and bobs, so from a serious financial point, we've had to eat out for a couple of nights, which in my eyes wasnt the worst thing to happen this week but I'm a fat...haha

My question, has anyone experienced this and exactly what should we be pushing for in terms of recompense? I wasnt going to tell them it 'hasnt been that bad' and they have mucked us about loads with changing the time when it'll be fixed and giving us innacurrate information, now ripped up all the road and pavement outside so the drives useless (and thats a subcontractor so it wont be fixed for a couple of days after they've finished) and have also stopped working for 2 hours because they need a shift change, so the housemate has already lodged 2 formal complaints

We'll see what they say. Its still out :shock:

Although the guys outside said its ready to go any minute now. I think I'll go mad without my regular dose of diesel smell and hum of the generator!

my old house suffered a very bad power surge a couple of years ago, and followed by a black out for about the time too.

The surge destroyed my newly built top spec gaming pc. intel i7 extreme, watercooled, triple graphics card, the lot.. cost me £2700 to build.. All Destroyed..

After many weeks of putting in claims of compensation and getting nowhere, i took it to a small claims court, because £2700 dont just magically appear in my bank so that i can build another..

I ended up winning the case, as pretty much all people do against electric companies, as its their electric that we recieve..

i ended up getting full compensation on my pc (good job i kept reciepts for proof of total cost), as well as like £500 compensation for "their apologies"... haha..

worked out pretty good in the end..

But what do you know, 2 weeks later after building another pc of exact same spec, i ended up getting bored of it and sold it :D