First Track day, insure it?

MacLean

Wanting to do a track day at oulton park soon - however am shitting myself about fecking up the bike.

My insurance is with mce and had a quick look on their site and track day insurance is 100quid however the excess is half the value of the bike.

So my bike is roughly 3300 so the excess is 1650.

So how does it get handled in a minor off with only cosmetic damage or a big one with a write off?

Is it possible to put a rough figure on the probability of a track novice first timer binning it?

Do most track day riders bother with insurance?

Wanting to do a track day at oulton park soon - however am shitting myself about fecking up the bike.

My insurance is with mce and had a quick look on their site and track day insurance is 100quid however the excess is half the value of the bike.

So how does it get handled in a minor off with only cosmetic damage or a big one with a write off?

Is it possible to put a rough figure on the probability of a track novice first timer binning it?

I would guess it works the same as road insurance. Cosmetic damage which will cost under £1650 in new parts, you will have to pay for. Any more, they will pay.

I would have a look through the T's and C's though, because if its an extension to your current policy and you write the bike off, you may end up giving up your NCB too.

As for likely hood of an off, it depends. Are you going in with a school or just blasting it round a track on your own? Bare in mind that the professionals bin it on a weekly basis, and they have been riding all their lives!

I would guess it works the same as road insurance. Cosmetic damage which will cost under £1650 in new parts, you will have to pay for. Any more, they will pay.

I would have a look through the T's and C's though, because if its an extension to your current policy and you write the bike off, you may end up giving up your NCB too.

As for likely hood of an off, it depends. Are you going in with a school or just blasting it round a track on your own? Bare in mind that the professionals bin it on a weekly basis, and they have been riding all their lives!

Coolio, my plan was: go onto oultons website, pick the most suitable standard 3 group day and plonk myself in the novice group and get instruction if I can.

Don't have any intentions of really pushing it to the complete limit, but just to enjoy some freedom and to be able to open the throttle without being paranoid that a copper is going to star jump from behind a bush on me.

I don't intend on being competitive, I think if I really got into trackdays I'd get a bike thats a bit more rough around the edges and less painfull to drop.

I guess im just struggling with the risk assesment of it, as it seems the risk of binning it is considerable and I don't know if spending that 100 quid is a good idea or not.

I am currently preping my fzs600 to sell but think it might be better to take that for the track day despite it being a less track oriented bike - it would be less painful to wreck that than the r6.

Guest philgale

You have less chance of crashing on track than on the road, Ive done Oulton a few times and love it. It is one if not the best track in the UK.

If you go out and ride like a dick you will no doubt crash, if you just want to open it up a bit and take it stead you will be fine.

and the pros crash because they push as hard as they can, plus they dont have to foot the bill.

regarding insurance, ive never bothered for that excess you will be better buying a track bike for £1500 and using that instead.

You have less chance of crashing on track than on the road, Ive done Oulton a few times and love it. It is one if not the best track in the UK.

If you go out and ride like a dick you will no doubt crash, if you just want to open it up a bit and take it stead you will be fine.

and the pros crash because they push as hard as they can, plus they dont have to foot the bill.

regarding insurance, ive never bothered for that excess you will be better buying a track bike for £1500 and using that instead.

Thanks, I know you've been on quite a few tracks so is encouraging words.

And having my first track day on the best in the UK :cheers: Although i did wonder why it was a bit more pricey than some of the other ones, I guess that explains it.

I think I would be on a race track all day every day if I didn't have to worry about paying for the inevitable destruction

as phil says

when I did cadwell I was shitting incase I binned it but it turned out I was overthinking it!

And wear a orange bib for the newbies don't feel stupid about it as you will need it! if people know its your first time they will give you space and be more cautious around you

take your time get used to it and have fun

just remember there is always someone slower than you and dont be tempted to get out last thinking it will be better either. If you can get out first all the fast guys will pass you all the slow ones will be behind you and you will have at least a few laps with no one near you :wink:

Cheers for tips Stu. Will gladly throw on a bib on my track day, my goal is to enjoy it for myself not to look cool or to brag or anything like that :cheers:

Guest philgale

Its more expensive because it owned by MSV and palmer wants the most he can get for it. Oulton is about £20k a day to hire in summer if i remember right thats why its comfortably north of £150

Just take it steady for the first couple of sessions, you will not learn the track in a day.

places to watch out for are druids if its been wet the day before or on the day, thats the double right hander under the trees so takes forever to dry out, lodge also looks quite inviting but you do drift off as the track drops away on the exit. Island bend is good, coming down the straight there is a bump if your going quick enough will lift the front a bit just before you tip into a 130mph ish corner and slam on into a banked hairpin, you will be surprised how fast you can go into this corner with the banking helping you.

Druids is the only place to watch really, having said that old hall (first corner after start finish straight) if its been raining there is usually a puddle on the apex and its new tarmac as well so a bit slippy when damp.

dont let any of that scare you tho, just think you know whats coming you know what to expect if druids is slippy you know its going to be slippy, on the road its pot luck whats round the next corner.

whos the day with and when you thinking of doing it, i cant recommend No Limits enough they are by far the best TDO IMO, having worked with Focused and been f**ked around by them I wont be using them again ever. plus if it is a NL day fingers crossed you get Alex photographing the day.

i always thought id hate doing a track day on my own bike for the very reason i was petrified of damaging it...tbh when i did perf plus, the last thing i worried about whilst out there was the bike, and all was fine.

just done my first full track day, with no insurance, and yes i binned it... but managed to make sure i had a soft landing, and luckily managed to source a very cheap set of second hand fairings, so putting it back together shouldnt cost me more than 100 quid tops.

meanwhile its held together with gaffa tape :D.

did that stop me taking it out again after the off....nope :D.

most people i know dont bother with track insurance.

however, a cheap set of track fairings might be worthwhile if you plan on doing more than one

whos the day with and when you thinking of doing it, i cant recommend No Limits enough they are by far the best TDO IMO, having worked with Focused and been f**ked around by them I wont be using them again ever. plus if it is a NL day fingers crossed you get Alex photographing the day.

Thinking of going mid june if i can find some novice slots. Price wise was looking around 150 as you say. I have been on the no limits site a few times and if its a simple case of choosing one over the other will go with no limits.

however, a cheap set of track fairings might be worthwhile if you plan on doing more than one

Any ideas what caused your off? Just a straight forward low side? At least you got off very lightly damage wise!

I went on ebay and just put in 'r6 tack fairings' and a lot of the unpainted ones were comming in about 270... is that about the going rate for track fairings?

Whilst on the track looks dont really matter, maybe I'll just DIY and make a fairing out of carboard lol!

Booked on wednesday 19th at oulton park with no limits, sack the insurance decision made! 8-)

Any computer games with it on so i can practise lol?

Guest philgale

Nice one, no video games but search philgalesv650 in YouTube I have loads of vids round oulton or search BSB lap oulton there is a quality video with commentary overlayed

It contact mike Edwards on his site he sells a DVD at each track with his commentary over it goes into good detail as well you will find some sample vids of his on YouTube as well...he's one if the best 1 on 1 coaches around and proper proper quick.

yeah i know what caused it...looked up momentarily, overshot the corner, turned in too late and ran well wide, was on the grass before i had chance to react, at which point i chose the soft landing over the possibility of attempting to turn in hard and splatter myself over the tarmac ( guess i still had the thought that i had to ride the bike home in my mind and wanted to do the least possible damage)

nearly broke my thumb hanging on to the bike so it wouldnt flip when the crash bung dug in :oops:

Guest philgale

nearly broke my thumb hanging on to the bike so it wouldnt flip when the crash bung dug in :oops:

Crash bungs can cause more damage, if they dig in they can flip the bike as you say or even cause frame damage if hit hard enough

Had a look at those videos phil. If I watch em enough times, might just stick in in me head enough to know the course that little bit better that might save my ass.

Quite a difference in pace between the older videos and the newer ones when your in the fast group. What bike are you on in the later vids btw?

Guest philgale
Had a look at those videos phil. If I watch em enough times, might just stick in in me head enough to know the course that little bit better that might save my ass.

Quite a difference in pace between the older videos and the newer ones when your in the fast group. What bike are you on in the later vids btw?

My 2001 gsxr 600, its for sale if your interested ;)

Guest philgale

and yeah the pace does get a lot quicker the longer you do it, i started off doing 2min 20sec round oulton last time i was there was doing 1min 53sec want to get into the 49sec but may be difficult as next time ill be on an sv650

My 2001 gsxr 600, its for sale if your interested ;)

Well if its a track bike - no, but dont be suprised if im PM'ing you about it after wed19th :lol: