Have i broke my charging system?

Dynamo_Delboy

So, i ha a post on about my bike draining the battery whilst idling.

Well today i got it started but the battery drained very quick again.

Now, i got told to jump start it in the same way i would a car (car engine running) done that and now the bike won't start at all, getting lights on but when trying to start the bike there is nothing at all, not even the ticking sound when pushing the starter..

Checked online and seeing loads of posts about how you shouldnt do it with car engine running :(

So question is, what have i killed on the bike :(

(Cbr600 f2)

Actually raging at my banger of a pal for saying to do it as you would a car

your not supposed to do it with the engine running as the amount of amps a car charging system puts out is too much for the battery and can kill it

remove the battery and charge it and see if it holds a charge

also check the voltage of the battery it may have enough to put the lights on but thats it

bikes are fine to jump off a car without them running though :wink:

get yourself a bike charger and a multimeter while your at it

charge battery then leave for an hour before checking voltage the closer to 13 the better

bikes are fine to jump off a car without them running though :wink:

get yourself a bike charger and a multimeter while your at it

charge battery then leave for an hour before checking voltage the closer to 13 the better

Will do mate, long does it take to charge the battery?

Just another thing to check, make sure in all the faffing about you haven't flicked the engine cutoff switch.

The fact that lights are on but your getting absolutly nothing from starter button sounds like engine swtich may have been flicked...

Good luck if not though.

you can get any reg/rec to work if you know what you are doing and are prepared to mess about with wiring (it is really simple)

if your not wanting to mess with wiring then get one that fits

but first check things out with a multimeter otherwise you could be replacing bit that are ok

• 1 month later...

So, having being on holiday, work and other things i havent had a chance to do anything with the bike until last night.

Goes to take it to my bro in laws to get the multimeter and bike dies at the lights, no battery life left.

Gets another fully charged battery brought out to me to get me back home.

Goes down tonight and battery is totally drained.

Put a new battery in it and the rectifier starts to smoke and melt (without having the bike switched on) plug also meting and connectors in it are totally black and gooie.

Obviously the rectifier/regulator is knacked but why has it drained the battery overnight?

Ive have no alarm or anything to drain power from it.

Is this just part of the problem.

Will upload pics of rec/reg and plug soon

The reg/rec is connected to the battery......if the reg/rec develops a problem it could drain the battery....and in your case....go up in smoke..... :shock:

Deffo need the reg/rec replacing......and hope that the pins in the connector are not too cooked.....as they will not be so easy to replace..... :(

Hi,

If your not sure in what your doing better to get a pro to check and fit it.

There may be another reason why the regulator has gone up in smoke. You don't want to fit another one at £159 + vat and watch that go up in smoke as well! You need to know the reason its happened in the first place before you go ordering new parts. There could be a short or a trapped wire, get it checked over first.

Edited by Chrissb6

The three yellow wires are from the stator. With ignition off, Each should be tested to make sure they are not shorted to ground, and then in turn to each other i.e. yellow wire to each other yellow wire, the resistance should be about 0.1-0.3 ohms.

The green wire is for the regulator earth, the red is the 'charging wire' to the battery.

With the ignition off again, check the green earth wire by putting the positive probe of a multimeter on the battery + and then probe the green wire with the negative m.m. probe, you should be within 0.3v of battery voltage. Any lower ( i.e. battery voltage is 12.6v and you're getting only 12.2v) and you'll have high resistance in the wire or the connections are dirty. No voltage = open circuit, the wire has become disconnected.

The red wire should read battery voltage within 0.3v. Again, if that's not the case then it's the wire or connections at fault.

* the 2 paragraphs above, I presume you have a good battery.

Just googled it there and found this so it might work with a r6 unit.

[in the future if you don't want to fry voltage Rectifier/regulators buy a Yamaha R6 or R1 unit off of ebay, they are larger and work better without frying. Or buy a "honda" aftermarket version with a heat sink built onto it. The R1 or R6 unit ( 5 wires ) is the best choice.]